It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's wrong with "Ebonics"?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Yo buss dis. i rapp ebonics, an' patois (bruk up english)among friends an' family but i would nevuh use it in an office or bidness settin unless i wuz comfortable wit de situation an' de folk involved. Sheeit!

translation:
i speak ebonics, and patois (broken english) among friends and family but i would never use it in an office or business setting unless i was comfortable with the situation and the people involved.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I don't see any harm in using ebonics, so long as it doesn't get to the point where one's speech is entirely made up of it. I don't think of it as much as a dialect, but more like slang terminology that has gotten really popular. Sometimes I says something such as "Hey, thats tight as hell", just because of some of the people I hang out with. So, I think it also depends on who you converse with and such.

Bling-Bling...anyone ever play Super Mario Brothers on SNES?

Later

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos

I think the motivation lies in American's need to be as far from the French as possible in all things...

They're bad luck!

DeltaChaos

Even while they were helping you defeat the English?

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
as i hard as i am trying to understand this i really cant, not ebonics, this thread. ebonics wasnt really made for the suburban white kids who know use it so much nowadays. and if you cant relate to, it ignore it. but to come off and say its ignorant without understanding where it came from is ignorant. the fact that it has made its way into the spotlight makes certain individuals quite uneasy, and i dont think we have to mention why.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
Even while they were helping you defeat the English?
Hey Hey! Good one! Not to mention the Native Americans!!!

I'm definitely going to hell now,
DeltaChaos

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Actually you raise a point, Delta, in that the English language has a significant amount of French words, not to mention bastardised Latin. When you get down to it English is a mongrel language. You also don't need to look far in England to see the fast amounts of accents and I dare say that a large proportion of the Britons don't speak proper English anyway.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Saphie, you've never been around me in real life yet, but had you you would know that yes, there is at least one person that corrects otehrs who use a thick southern accent. I'm certainly not against the South, I love my home, but I'm not ignorant and I know it sounds stupid when people put more syllables in a word than what is proper.
I see ebonics the same way. But nothing makes me madder than that Valley Girl crap that found its way into speech patterns. You know, the flippant "Get out of here!" and the usage of the word like four and five times in a sentence and never used properly? That is what really makes my ears feel like they are going to bleed and the trigger finger startd twitching!

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
ou know, the flippant "Get out of here!" and the usage of the word like four and five times in a sentence and never used properly? That is what really makes my ears feel like they are going to bleed and the trigger finger startd twitching!

Sounds like they need to get you and Paully Shore in the ring on that celebrity boxing show. I can see it now he starts talking about "like stuff bra" and your ears start to spout blood right before you pull out a Fn-p90 and pump him full of 5.6mm rounds at 500 round per minute.

I think people in general have a problem speaking english (like bush for instance, but I understand he has brain damage to his language center so I don't fault him for sounding like an idiot) I don't see the point in ebonics or a southern CA accent, aren't there better things people can learn than how to sound ignorant?

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by cargo

Originally posted by Gazrok
The American version of English evolved over hundreds of years, mostly due to the necessity of coming up with new words for new ideas, not because of an inability to pronounce words correctly.

Actually I dont believe that is correct. American English evolved out of a need to spell things phonetically, simplifying the English words.

"Armour" becomes American "Armor".
"Cheque" becomes American "Check".
"Catalogue" becomes American "Catalog".
"Jewellery" becomes American "Jewelry"
"Centre" becomes American "Center"
"Draught" becomes American "Draft"

Also "ise" words such as "Rationalise" becomes American "Rationalize".

It's pretty clear the need to simplify was the motivating factor.

Hummm... how deep does the rabit hole go my friend? This is what i was trying to say. Humm seems like many people are comming to my defence. I really didn't expect this. I thought I was going to be the lone warrior

Originally posted by ihatethisplace
as i hard as i am trying to understand this i really cant, not ebonics, this thread. ebonics wasnt really made for the suburban white kids who know use it so much nowadays. and if you cant relate to, it ignore it. but to come off and say its ignorant without understanding where it came from is ignorant. the fact that it has made its way into the spotlight makes certain individuals quite uneasy, and i dont think we have to mention why.[

You right we don't have to mention why. I just find it funny how people will go out of there way to degrade somehting that is diffrent from them. That takes way to much energy!!!

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Ebonics:

Yo whaddup mah niggaz, y'all jus chillin an blazin mad L's at da crib?

Translation:

Hello, whats up my friends, are you all just hanging out and smoking marijuana in a cigar wrap at your house?

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
umm, I didn't see the word blunt in there? I think you're just one of those people who pertend to know ebonics.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tetsuo-51
Ebonics:

Yo whaddup mah niggaz, y'all jus chillin an blazin mad L's at da crib?

Translation:

Hello, whats up my friends, are you all just hanging out and smoking marijuana in a cigar wrap at your house?

Well, I understood the first half of the ebonics sentence

Among friends, talk as you feel comfortable. Slang, dialects and ebonics make me crazy.
I don't like to speak too informally. It tends to make my speech patterns lazy. Finally, I begin to forget how to speak properly. And how to spell words.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   
here is my problem with it - people speak it, and then bitch and complain on how poorly they did on the SATs and other tests. No F***ing kidding you did poorly - you make an effort to NOT practice the language it is written in (the NATIONAL language). And people complain it is culturaly biased?!!!!! I guess so if an entire ethnic group makes a concerted effort to try to speak in an entirely different one. Personally - I don't care what language you choose to speak - just don't bitch when you don't get the job, don't bitch when you fail ENGLISH 101 don't bitch when you get an 800 on your SAT. It's a choice you made so deal with the results you get.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Nothing is wrong with ebonics. Language is always going to evolve. If feel sorry for those who never had the opportunity in the USA to learn english well enough to make good on the SATs. There is no excuse for someone born and raised in the US to not be proficient in normal english, but if someone comes from a family that is illiterate they are likely to be illiterate and will have to work a little more starting in kindergarden if they want make it.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Saphie, you've never been around me in real life yet, but had you you would know that yes, there is at least one person that corrects otehrs who use a thick southern accent. I'm certainly not against the South, I love my home, but I'm not ignorant and I know it sounds stupid when people put more syllables in a word than what is proper.
I see ebonics the same way. But nothing makes me madder than that Valley Girl crap that found its way into speech patterns. You know, the flippant "Get out of here!" and the usage of the word like four and five times in a sentence and never used properly? That is what really makes my ears feel like they are going to bleed and the trigger finger startd twitching!

Sweet Jesus you read my mind!!!!!

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
Nothing is wrong with ebonics. Language is always going to evolve. If feel sorry for those who never had the opportunity in the USA to learn english well enough to make good on the SATs. There is no excuse for someone born and raised in the US to not be proficient in normal english, but if someone comes from a family that is illiterate they are likely to be illiterate and will have to work a little more starting in kindergarden if they want make it.

This is where you and I disagree - I don't feel bad for people who don't learn to read when they have a government paid education - AKA, I PAY FOR IT. In fact I dislike them. You live in a country where you are given every oppertunity to learn to read, to learn to speak English correctly, and you throw it all away. When I was in kindergarden, I WANTED to learn how to read. My parents had little to do with the fact that I learned to read. The most help I got was a very advanced vocabulary for my age. My parents weren't even around me when I was young because they were working, so I don't feel bad for these people. They simply didn't want to learn.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
They do want to learn, Mad Man, as most every human does. The problem is that the direction of learning is counter-culture. When one intentionally snubs the mainstream culture and concentrates on a counter-culture to the point that the national culture is seen as bad, there is little chance of succeeding economically. Furthermore, it damages the mainstream culture without offering remedy or adding national value. All the way around, everyone suffers.
Valley Girls SUCK! So does ebonics. Let's not forget two-syllable one syllable word speakers!

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Because ebonics is slang. Slang is not proper, thus, slang should not be standardized.

We have many different variations, from dialect spread, from the orginal english, but we still do follow the same basic rules of the english language still practiced in England. Sentance structure, past, present and future tense, plus proper ownership, gender, and pronoun associations are still there.

Standard English: Where are you?
American English: Where are you?
Ebonics: Where iz you at?

Theres no comparison. Ebonics is not a language. Like stoner talk and hillbilly slurring, its a dialect, its slang, and it does make a person sound retarded. Just as speaking say, like some burnt out stoner makes you sound brainless.

Ebonics is lazyness, and proper english should be used if someone wants to make something of themselves.

Now, certain local terms vary greatly from Uk to US, because over the years, terms have changed. So,c ertain words in the US have different meaning than the UK. Example:

UK: Where the bloody hell are my fags?
US: Where the mother # are my smokes?
Ebonics: Where iz my mutthafuggin squarz at, biatch?

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by J0HNSmith
umm, I didn't see the word blunt in there? I think you're just one of those people who pertend to know ebonics.

lmao, fyi an "L" is a blunt, i think tsetuo has a good understanding of ebonics

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
'Ello guv'na. Ow's it goin'? I see you're about ta speak on the subject o' Ebonics. As I've 'erd, the Brits invented the Queen's English, an the yanks done went an ruined it. Now I 'ere tell that the African-Americans 'ave their own way o' speakin'. This 'ere is the Queen's English that you're speakin' right, right? Do us a favor and speak it right proper next time, 'er don't speak it 'tall. Right.

=======================================
The preceding message has been a parody of actual English, and is not to be taken seriously. Any English/British people I may have offended please take into consideration something called irony.
=======================================

Ebonics. Then New Cockney.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join