It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's wrong with "Ebonics"?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Ok I have heard many statements made about the use of "Ebonics". I�m using quote because I hate using labels. I�ve heard comments ranging from "How do they expect to get a Job talking like that" and "Why don't they just speak English". I for one don't see anything wrong with using an American dialect to convey how you feel. Now I do admit that in certain professional situations you should not use slang but in everyday conversation and in teaching I don't see nothing wrong with it. It�s a way to be on the same level as the person you are conveying your thoughts with.

For all of those who are against �Ebonics� you should note that American English is a bastardized version of British English. So what we speak is not true English. You can go all over the States and see that people have there own dialects. I think one of the best defenses for "Ebonics"(and affirmative action) is the president of the United States. I don't even have to count the number of time our president has not used "proper" English (i.e. " Is our children learning"). So for all people who attack �Ebonics� I think they are just being prejudice. When you think about it what do you expect? Black people were forced to learn a language they weren�t familiar with from southern whites who could barely speak English themselves.

So I say talk how you want to talk as long as someone can understand what your saying. Language it's self is ever changing. Who know in the future we might have a mixture of Spanish and English and it will be called �Spanglish�.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTruth
So I say talk how you want to talk as long as someone can understand what your saying. Language it's self is ever changing. Who know in the future we might have a mixture of Spanish and English and it will be called �Spanglish�.

There already is such a thing as "spanglish" since I speak to most of my friends in both english and spanish, sometimes even mixing the two. I dont do it on purpose it just comes out that way.

[Edited on 15-4-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It is an ignorant and uneducated form of speech.

Honestly I don't care as long as , as you said, it is not used in the workplace (professional at least).

The "bastardized" form of English we use is also derived itself from ignorant and uneducated into the fine language we speak now, so really I see little difference.

You just won't catch me talking like that.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
It is an ignorant and uneducated form of speech.

Honestly I don't care as long as , as you said, it is not used in the workplace (professional at least).

The "bastardized" form of English we use is also derived itself from ignorant and uneducated into the fine language we speak now, so really I see little difference.

You just won't catch me talking like that.

Humm the workplace you say. Why don't you tell Bush that!!!! I son't think it's ignorant. Just becuase someone sound diffrent from you you think that it's ignorant. Wow!!!! I bet if you went to diffent part of the country you wouldn't be able to understand what people said. But that dosn't make there speech ignorant!!!

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I am actually going to have to go with KrazyJethro on this one. It seems to just be slang and not a language unto itself. But for the sake of argument, could someone please type something in ebonics with an English translation so we can compare the two.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Ebonics is sort of like Ocelot explained spanglish.

Most of the time it's how I talk. If I'm really thinking about how I'm pronouncing my -ing words I don't add a -u and drop the -g. But, most of the time I'm not thinking that way.

Something comes out like "suhmin' and nothing comes out like "nuhin". And you can forget it if I'm angry because every word I say will be chopped up and banged. I can write in proper english and these days that's more important than whether you speak it. I have what I call my "white people" voice. I just don't use it unless I'm trying. It makes me feel like I'm being fake. That's not how I really talk, and I'm not a b-white girl.

I'm not running around the office using cuss words and calling my co-workers muh#as (at least not to their face). Since I'm not doing anything inappropriate, I don't see a problem with using ebonics in the work place. Tis like I've infected everyone because now they change their voice when they're talking to me. I always get the "hey gurl," or the "chu doin?" from my white co-workers anyway. Its best if you can be yourself in your work environment.

[Edited on 15-4-2004 by Saphronia]

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Saphronia

That my friends is exactly what I was trying to get at. Thanx Saphronia!!! You were �very well spoken�. Like I said language is ever changing. You environment that your in causes a person to adapt. But there is a difference between adapting and conforming. When you conform you feel like your losing a piece of yourself when you adapt you bring a part of you into a different situation. I just posted this thread so that people can see that there is nothing wrong with being yourself and who you are. A lot of times being your self may rub off on those around you and in turn they may influence someone else. Hence how the term �Bling-Bling� got so popular that is now in the oxford dictionary. But what�s funny is that a lot of people don�t know the actual person that come up with that phrase.

But on a side note I think Bush does what he does and talks the way he does for the same reasons I mentioned above. It�s not that he doesn�t know better, he just doesn�t give a rat�s ass. He refuses to conform to Washington politics. But when you think about he doesn�t have or need to.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
We have 'Franglais' in the UK - English with some French words. Thats bollocks too. :shk:

And as for 'Esperanto' ... what a pile of

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I like to type -er as -ah but I don't talk that way... hmm odd.

example: wtfevah

white person voice, lol that had me laughing my ass off.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
What's "wrong" with it, is that it one even attempts to make it accepted. The American version of English evolved over hundreds of years, mostly due to the necessity of coming up with new words for new ideas, not because of an inability to pronounce words correctly.

Ebonics on the other hand, is simply trying to justify an incorrect way of speaking. When one speaks with ebonics, they only succeed in coming off like an ignoramus. It's really as simple as that.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Ebonics on da other hand, iz simply trying ta justify an incorrect way o' speaking. When one speaks wiff ebonix, dey only succeed in coming off like an ignoramus. It'sreally as simple as dat. what the # sup now?

www.joel.net...

Almost as pimp-tight as da Ali G one, nahh? what the # sup now?

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
The whole country is rife with dialects and colloquialisms, just as every other country in the world. I think it's great that only Americans can really understand other Americans dialects, and no one else can. Hip Hop slang is a little tough, because it changes and multiplies every day, but I think we should man the radios with thugs straight outta da hood. Then if an enemy was intercepting, they wouldn't know what the hell we were talking about. You know, just like the Navaho in WWII.

That was just wrong,
DeltaChaos

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Nothing is wrong with ebonics, its slang. Slang is O.K. and eventually acceptable. Slang from the 60's is currently used everyday(hip,cool,right on,etc).
As long as you use slang occasionally and not as a first language you wont sound like an idiot.
Better yet,,, If you have proven that you speak english as a first language, ebonics is O.K. If Ebonics is your first language you are not O.K.

Ebonic is the native tongue of the poor and under-educated. Why would you want to speak it anyways?

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
What's wrong with Ebonics? Here's an idea! I've heard of actual college classes that teach it and when it came out as an actual dialect there was a big ole media frenzy about it. Black people have a lot of strong feelings about being kidnaped by their own people and sold to the US and from what I've heard in these forums a lot of them don't' feel connected to their heritage. So why not (instead of taking ghetto slang and turning it into a useless waste of a college class) learn an african language. At least that way later in life if they do chose to explore their heritage they'll at least be able to verbally connect with the local people in the region of the african language they chose to learn.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
What's the use of learning an African language. I don't mean to come off as an asshole, but I think a lot more white kids could benefit from an ebonics class than black kids could benefit from learning an African language. Who would they talk to? They'd have to get a pen pal...

Again, so wrong, so wrong...
DeltaChaos

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Its okay to use ebonics; but in certain situations you shouldn't use it.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTruth

Humm the workplace you say. Why don't you tell Bush that!!!!

Everything always comes around to Bush around here doesn't it? Good god man, give it a rest.

I don't think it's ignorant.

Good for you. As I'm sure you know ignorant (which seems to have taken on an offensive connotation) only means without education or information as it pertains to the topic at hand. Although it derived itself out of ignorance (meaning the uneducated poor) it has now become a cultural and sometimes forced thing. Now the ignorance comes from not knowing when or where to turn it off (which is present in some people) whilein others, they still do not even know what is correct or not.

Just becuase someone sound diffrent from you you think that it's ignorant.

You said that, not me. I am telling you where it came from, much like almost all slang. I don't care how they sound or if they use it.

Wow!!!! I bet if you went to diffent part of the country you wouldn't be able to understand what people said. But that dosn't make there speech ignorant!!!

No genius, it would make me the ignorant one, considering I would be the one unable to speak their language.

Put words in my mouth all you want, but the only one that looks foolish is the one who jumps the gun. In this case, you.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
The American version of English evolved over hundreds of years, mostly due to the necessity of coming up with new words for new ideas, not because of an inability to pronounce words correctly.

Actually I dont believe that is correct. American English evolved out of a need to spell things phonetically, simplifying the English words.

"Armour" becomes American "Armor".
"Cheque" becomes American "Check".
"Catalogue" becomes American "Catalog".
"Jewellery" becomes American "Jewelry"
"Centre" becomes American "Center"
"Draught" becomes American "Draft"

Also "ise" words such as "Rationalise" becomes American "Rationalize".

It's pretty clear the need to simplify was the motivating factor.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
Actually I dont believe that is correct. American English evolved out of a need to spell things phonetically, simplifying the English words.

"Armour" becomes American "Armor".
"Cheque" becomes American "Check".
"Catalogue" becomes American "Catalog".
"Jewellery" becomes American "Jewelry"
"Centre" becomes American "Center"
"Draught" becomes American "Draft"

Also "ise" words such as "Rationalise" becomes American "Rationalize".

It's pretty clear the need to simplify was the motivating factor.

I think the motivation lies in American's need to be as far from the French as possible in all things...

They're bad luck!

DeltaChaos

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashley
Ebonic is the native tongue of the poor and under-educated. Why would you want to speak it anyways?

I'm not poor or under-educated. It's just who I am. No one ever asks a person that speaks with a thick southern accent to change, and no one assumes that person is poor and under-educated. I didn't choose to speak this way. It's how I am. It has nothing to do with my education or my economic standing. It has nothing to do with my assimilation into American culture either. I'm fully assimilated...resistance is futile. I love America. For me, speaking the other way is unnatural. I have to think about it. How many faces should I wear? Just tell me, and I'll do...pshh. I gotta be me.

I worked hard to get where I am--and I didn't have to lose myself to do it. I understand that some folk are pretty much uncomfortable with it, but I believe that's because of stereotypes and prejudices. When people get to know me that wall comes down. Until we can accept folk for who they are we will always have these ridiculus problems. I don't have to be like you to relate to you or work with you.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join