It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 foot long Snake photographed in Borneo

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by OKCBtard

Thats what I have been waiting for...an expert to say its not real.
Thank you.
I guess this one is HOAX.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

Thats what I have been waiting for...an expert to say its not real.
Thank you.
I guess this one is HOAX.

I hope that wasn't sarcasm, it is so hard to pick up on it over the internet.
But don't get your hopes up! I am a huge fan of cryptozoology and the giant anacondas that I read about in my books.

Also here is another thread on this: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also here is another news link with about the same about of info: news.ninemsn.com.au...

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

No sarcasm.
In my one post I asked for a photo expert of any kind to look at this.
I don't know about photos but have interests in snakes.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Then you may find this article interesting on snakes becoming bigger.

io9.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Its a sign of global warming cough cough.
If it is warmer somewhere then it usually is then chances are the snake is getting in alot more feedings as it digests quicker with heat.
They are VERY adaptable.
There is a breed that actually changed its pigment from brown to black in order to eat more and manage to survive on an island that had food only at certain times of the yr.
Instead of them going extinct,they just adapt.
If this wasn't a hoax then I really would not be surprized to find a 100 foot snake.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The somewhat "Highbrow" Guardian newspaper have immediatley scoffed at the image on their website without further ado, not even entertaining the exciting "What if this type of creature DID exist" line of thought:

www.guardian.co.uk...

They say this:

"But really. Look at that photo. Look at the scale of the photo. This snake is supposed to be 100ft long. Yet every little green blob on that shot is a tree, and the canopy of even one tree is, at the very least, 10ft wide. There are very many blobs, meaning very many trees. Yet the snake takes up half of the shot."

Maybe their right but man are they stuck up!!

October

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by October

Well at least we here at ats were willing to ride it out to the end with a little more of an open mind.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Just to give you a heads up whilst i was googling Borneo snake there is a link to a malicious website using it for their own purposes, do NOT, i repeat..

do NOT click on the link that starts

009022006.idnww.bee

i havent put in the rest of the url in case someone clicks it by mistake

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Jesus Christ! That 'Giant Snake In My Backyard' video made me jump off the bed, i think i broke my laptop lol.

As for the Borneo snake we're discussing. It looks fake to me, as someone said on the Daily Mail website, the river is HUGE even at its most narrow point, and the snakes head would have to be about 50 metres wide taking all dimensions into account.

Although in those parts of the world there could quite easily be something that big lurking around. Theres too many reports from people who have nothing to gain, seein huge creatures, although some of these reports can be put down to lack of education and not understanding creatures appearances under water etc.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by October

Well to start, the photos look manipulated so I would tend to call this a hoax.

From what I understand, a constrictors size is dependent upon it's environmental temperature. That's why they were much bigger 60 million years ago.

The article doesn't explain any details regarding how they determined size of the creature.

Is there any additional info?

It would be awesome if true !

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liamoville
Jesus Christ! That 'Giant Snake In My Backyard' video made me jump off the bed, i think i broke my laptop lol.

Sorry dude

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
The first pic seems fake to me it just does not look right. I think the second picture is of a floating fish net that is anchored at the two ends.

Was thinking something like this pic. From a distance and with poor quality photos a net like this streched out straight could look like a snake on the surface of the water.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
If the main photo is genuine it seems like a small boat(although why its going along doing shallow S bends i don't know) to me, its path is visible because of sediments in the water being disturbed.

But the more i look at it the more 'wrong' it seems, so i would say its a 'shop.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
There is something odd going on with this. This same image showed up about a week ago on a MSM site, but the report said it was in a river in South America. They also showed a 2nd (also fake looking) image of a giant snake. I thought at the time that it was strange that the MSM would report on such a story. Now this story?? Same picture, different location? Now I have searched everywhere and I can't find the original story. I smell a rat...and no, not the one the snake ate!

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Please... I can't believe newspapers would publish photographs without doing just a little research. The (first) photograph has done its rounds on the Internet over and over again.

It's fake. Photo chopped.

It was created for a Crypto contest on Worth 1000 in 2002...

Worth 1000 Entries (11th from top)

Date of post: Profile (See second entry from bottom.)

Edit: As for the second picture: It's been on the Net for a while as well. I strongly doubt that it's real because the "snake" appears to be swimming on the surface of the water, which is pretty much impossible for a serpent that size...

[edit on 23-2-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
A snake that big could exist. Look at how huge the anacondas get.

Just wanted to add that you can see the wake it's making. Also we have yet to find a completly full grown adult anaconda. They are estimated to be able to grow much longer than the ones we have found.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
A snake that big could exist. Look at how huge the anacondas get.

Not impossible, but very, VERY unlikely. The largest snake (species that still exists) is the Anaconda (Eunectes murinus) with average sizes of 18 to 20 feet (5.5–6.1 m). There have been several cases of snakes reaching 25 feet, but they are rare. Scientists estimate that the "biggest of the biggest" anaconda wouldn't be over 40 feet. There's even a cash reward on offer for live delivery of any snake of 30 feet (9.1 m) or more in length (by the Wildlife Conservation Society). The reward remains unclaimed for the past 100 years or so.

A recent find described as "fossilised remains belonging to the world's largest snake" was published a couple of weeks ago. Its size: 42ft (13 meter). More here.

In other words, a living snake of 50 feet would be an incredible find - seeing that no other snake of that size has ever been recorded; dead or alive. And that makes a snake of 100 feet long, extremely unlikely...

That said, if such asnake were to be discovered (alive) - good luck to whoever has to measure and weigh it.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Static Sky

i was ciphering along the same lines...
but i was using the trees as my benchmark... not the 'reported' width of the river

the trees appear full grown, appox 30 ft tall & wide generally

therefore the width of the river at that spot is appox 120 ft
or 4x the trees on the banks

the 'swiggle' in the river appears to be 7x the benchmark trees or appox
a length of 210+ ft... a very unlikely snake, eel, or amphibian

my guess, a drum of chemicals fell off a raft/barge and the contents are leaking out & flowing with the current.

+++

in the 2nd image, we can calculate the flagpole at 24-30 ft tall
now compare that horizontal, serpentine form to the guestimate pole
& one can estimate the unknown form, is on top of the water for its full 60 foot length.
~about the length of a sein (fishnet) that would span the center part of the water channel ~

oh hum

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Wheres J-Lo and Ice Cube when you need them?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
definitely a fake, it just has that "CGI" look to it.

photoshopped.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join