It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 foot long Snake photographed in Borneo

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Just saw this on a news website and didn't see it posted here. I'm not sure of the authenticity of them but my god it's BIG!!

www.dailymail.co.uk...

What do you make of it?

October

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
What do you make of it?

Well....I would start by making it into chilli. Add some beans, some seasoning and you have a wonderful meal!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by October

I can't put words on it, but it looks wrong. Smaller snake shopped into the larger photo. The shot with the sideview looks like a snake that had been moving along on solid ground and was cut and pasted.

But hey... we'll find out in the next couples of weeks.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
This is a fake, photoshopped.

I know I've seen the first picture before, possibly years ago.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
according to the comments left on the mail website you linked to, that particular river is roughly 500m wide at its narrowest point meaning the snakes head would be 50m wide as it looks to be about 1 tenth of the width....

don't know if any of that is true but the dimensions do look off imho.. would love it to be real though. imagine that!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by October

I don't know if it is real or fake, but it is enough to keep me from putting my feet on the floor for a long time. As well as keeping me out of the woods and away from water.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
If the pic would turn out to be authentic, I predict that no follow up on the story will be given to the public what so ever - as usual.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I believe a rock python can get up to 40 feet.
There are a few species of snakes that can have the ability to get to be massive.
I recently saw a rock python that was wider then my waist and I am a 32.
I totally think this could be true.
Seems like the snake is just a big old survivor.
My python had a life expectancy of 45 yrs.
Some snakes live pretty long lives.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Its weird because their are only two websites following this story, thought it would have got a lot more, but to me it does look strange proportion wiise, i mean, surely this would have been seen sooner at that size!!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I looked around a bit and was unable to confirm that the Balleh river is 500m wide at its thinnest parts but the scale of the trees which I'm assuming are full grown and average sized suggests this to be a reasonably close aproximation. For the sake of this excersize, lets assume half that, though. 250 meters.

The red circle surrounding the snake looks roughly the same size as the snake. That is, it appears that if you stretched the snake to its longest, it would fill the red circle.

Since it appears to be a perfect circle, width is the same as length. The width of the circle appears to be roughly 3 times that of the river. This would indicate the snake is roughly 750 meters long. So again roughly, 2200 feet, not the reported 100 feet.

Lets assume the snake is indeed 100 feet though. That would suggest that the river is only about 35 feet wide then. When compared to the tree tops, I find this impossible to believe.

I am forced to conclude this picture is a hoax, then. And not even a reasonably convincing one. Just my 2 cents. Cheers.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
That is one hell of a big-a**ed snake. I'll never swim in the Baleh River ibn Borneo, that's for sure. Thanks to the origional poster for this one.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Wow! If it isn't photoshopped that's one seriously long reptile! What would something like that eat to maintain it's bulk?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I agree with the majority and cry, "Shenanigans!!" What the heck could sustain an animal that size? It would tie it with the Blue Whale on largest animal.

The article raised a slight motivation for whoever photoshopped it...

Earlier this month scientists unearthed the fossil of a killer snake that was longer than a bus, as heavy as a small car and which could swallow an animal the size of a cow. The 45ft long monster - named Titanoboa - was so big that it lived on a diet of crocodiles and giant turtles, squeezing them to death and devouring them whole.

Remember that? For non-UK readers...The Daily Mail is a notoriously lazy paper when it comes to verifying sources. It prints what it likes as fact.

I'm saving the pic though..it's pretty cool

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'm calling hoax until I see some legit video footage.
That would convince me.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
While 100 feet is quite a stretch to claim.
I think it is possible.
Snakes by nature don't want to be around people so it would seem normal to me that nobody saw it.
If the snake eats frequently instead of when they require food then it can contribute to its size.
Its not unusual to see a snake eat more then it requires.My little snake ate anytime I offered while the other was very strict in when it wanted to be offered food.
They can be overeaters and they can stay hidden.
This snake would have had to feed off of crocs or gaters...whatever is in that section of the world.
This could be a hoax but it can also be a possibility.
Its nature so I won't call hoax just yet.

The first pic looks like how a snake moves its body to move.
The second pic is nothing.I don't see a snake in the water because it would be in the s shape to move around.Thats how it moves...no movement there at all.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
the first really doesnt look convincing at all, there is just something not right with it.

these pics could easily be made with photoshop, another thing to consider is the photo quality, why is so blurry?

in this day an age almost any camera produces better images than this

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Mondax

I am definately no photo expert by any means.
Snakes are another story.
It looks exactly like the way they move.
Any photo experts here??

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
How about this one photographed by a pilot in 1959?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

How big is that one??
I have to go do a call so I will look at the link later.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join