It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grow your own Drugs on the BBC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
A new show is about to air on the BBC called "Grow your own drugs"
www.bbc.co.uk... e_growyourowndrugs.shtml

From ice lollies made from Echinacea to acne gels made from marigold flowers, home-made natural remedies are about to get a makeover as ethnobotanist James Wong reveals how to Grow Your Own Drugs in a new series for BBC Two.

In an age where pharmacutical companies tend to rule the way we heal ourselves this show could be very informative and lead many to add these practises to their lifestyle.
The natural world around us is very powerful and more people should know of the benifits in their garden.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by pazcat]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Oops edit to add I needed to modify your link for it to work, anyways ethnobotanist James Wong will get into an fatal accident soon enough.

I prophesy an car accident.

You do not mess with the pharmaceutical companies. They make too much money and they will kill you if you go against them.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by star in a jar]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
How long will it be before TPTB start to criminalise such activities as health hazards, unregulated, irresponsible etc etc, its already happening in the states related to natural "fertilizers","pesticides","minerals" and more, infact i read it here on ATS:

Silver To Be Classified As A Pesticide-EPA Corruption, page 1
Farmers up in arms at herb listing(UPDATED), page 1

And then big pharma and food corps kick in with copyrighted/patented products to kill us all:

Monsanto Genetically Modified Foods to End Life on Earth

Originally posted by star in a jar
You do not mess with the pharmaceutical companies. They make too much money and they will kill you if you go against them.

Gotta love ATS

[edit on 19/2/2009 by phushion]

[edit on 19/2/2009 by phushion]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
There's one problem with this, as far as I am concerned. I get BBC America, and I can guarntee this program will never air here.
But I'm sure the information is available in books and on the internet. It would be nice to have someone walk us through the processes though.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Well i know this is a show i will watch and many others should, ive had an interest in lets call them natural remedies for years, and im sure this show will just show what the common houswive can do in their kitchen but its a start and may scratch the surface. With some basic level chemistry the doors open a lot wider.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
It is interesting to note that James Wong has had no medical training, other than that from his grandmother. So whilst it was recently stated in an article in the telegraph that his remedies have no "evidence of toxicity" perhaps we should remeber that "evidence of absence" & "absence of evidence" are not interchangable, and until they have been proved non-toxic there always remains the potential that some of these could be harmful.

Please don't get me wrong, I welcome people taking an active interest in traditional remedies to treat minor ailments (even though the very nature of these conditions is that they will improved without any form of treatment).

However I do have concerns that some people will take it too far and assume if its natural its safe. After all, in a natural product you cannot be sure of what amount of any substance you are receiving. An exmaple would be the old victorian treatment of dropsy (oedema) using digitalis sp., in small doses it is a quite effective inotrope and increases cardiac funtion, however in larger doses it causes arrythmia, coma & death.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Probably one of the most disappointing things I've seen on television for a number of years. I'm not sure who the target audience was this at all and it seemed to fall between several stools.

Much of it was hardly what you could call a revelation. Hops make you sleepy? Figs and senacot aid constipation? Wow! My mind was breaking as it struggled to take in such unknown and radical material

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
Much of it was hardly what you could call a revelation. Hops make you sleepy? Figs and senacot aid constipation? Wow! My mind was breaking as it struggled to take in such unknown and radical material

You have to think though.... not everyone is as well informed as apparently you are.
If this means that just a handful of folks stop wasting money at boots or other chemists on things like cold and flu remedies and sleeping pills et al. then the program has achieved it's goal.

I for one, think this is an excellent idea and a good way to teach people about long forgotten and overlooked natural remedies.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
You have to think though.... not everyone is as well informed as apparently you are.
If this means that just a handful of folks stop wasting money at boots or other chemists on things like cold and flu remedies and sleeping pills et al. then the program has achieved it's goal.

I for one, think this is an excellent idea and a good way to teach people about long forgotten and overlooked natural remedies.

I wouldn't say I was actually well-informed though. It's not like I'm taking a snobbish 'herbalist' angle here. Some of it was common sense. If someone has really suffered from insomnia as those two people in the programme were meant to have, I doubt that they wouldn't have investigated all kinds of remedies beforehand. Regarding hops, who hasn't felt tired and sleepy after a few beers? 'Sleep pillows' containing things like lavender &c can be found in a lot of places. Ironically enough, I'm pretty sure Boots and other big chemists have sold these things in the past.

As for figs, prunes and senacot, these things are regularly advertised on television already in constipation treatments. They all advertise the fact that they contain at least one of these ingredients.

Also, one of my gripes is that that whilst the idea that to empower people in order to be more self-sufficient and not rely on places like Boots, some of the items on the show are actually harder to find in the wild than in chemists. Living in a very urban area in the North of England, just being able to go for a stroll and pick rosehip and blackberry or get my hands on local hops seemed like a fantasy.

new topics

top topics

join