It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Finding Alien Life Could Mean for YOU?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
sty

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Today (19th February 2009) ,on www.Space.com : "What Finding Alien Life Could Mean for Earth " . Very interesting , quote here:

The impact of such news would be significant and, at this point, largely unknown. So to get a better grip on how astrobiological discoveries would play out, the SETI Institute and the NASA Astrobiology Institute recently held a three-day workshop to bring together scientists, ethicists, historians, lawyers, anthropologists, and the media to consider the societal consequences of this type of research.

Maybe this is a good place to ask: what would discovery of allien life mean to you ? On my side I guess it would not mean very much as I expect there is life out-there.

But still I would be curious how we would view the ideea of propriety, borders, money ? would the economy as we know it collapse? what would be the response form the main major religions?
many questions : so what do you think?

STY

[edit on 19-2-2009 by sty]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I feel it has already happened.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
The main problem is our governments honesty.
Or lack their of.
Untill our "leaders" get over the "need to know" attitude. Nothing will change.
Even if it means that the e.t.'s, are getting pissed off about their dishonesty.
The greed of the "ones who have". Will find a way to keep anything that keeps them seperate, to themselves.

sty

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by only onus

NASA Astrobiology Institute recently held a three-day workshop

well, it looks like NASA is interested in what would be the impact if they would tell us about life out-there..

sorry, I forgot to add the full article:

space.com

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
It would be great, it wouldnt mean alot unless they where invading or trying to eat us, but for some it would surely make people question their whole belief system. Lives could fall apart. Not mine though.

sty

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
hehe, i have the feeling that ATS-ers are very prepared for this kind of "news"
. I wonder how the economy would behave if Allien life would be disclosed..

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
If "Life out there" is found then it depends on the technology they have, and if more advanced than ours, how much of it they are willing to share.

If they are willing to share there technology with us, we could use it to make this world better or destroy it faster depending on whet the tech is. I tend to hope that we will use our new found knowledge to help this planet, but knowing the human spirit and the way the governments of the world work, we would probably end up destroying our society with it if not the entire planet. Which is why I believe that if aliens are truly watching us, they would not make conteact with us let alone the governments of the world.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
If you remember the government already has a list of protocal's to follow in case of alien incounter.
That tells me they already know their out there.
They (the government) for some reason keep denying it.
I think that is the key here.
Finding out why the government dents it. And removing that reasoning.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Sorry about the spelling. I ment to say the government denys it. Not dents it.
Hey its still early in the a.m.

sty

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by only onus

well, it looks like the government would hide this info just because they do not know how the people will react on the news. Or maybe because they know how people (majority) would react .In this second case maybe they delay the disclosure while pushing for gradual education and disclosure.Like starting with some nice movies, continuing with some bacterias on Mars, then molds, then unintelligent animals then sure intelligent forms of life..

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I dont think the government should keep the things we know to be true from us.
Many have seen, even had interactions with e.t.'s
And I dont think that it is right to tell those people that they are not.
Or that their is another explaination for what happened.
If someone came up and stole your wallet, would it be right for the government to say that no one stole your wallet you must have missplaced it?
Even when you saw it happin. And have the footage to prove it?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
For me - and the majority of Civilization - it would mean getting to skip 2000+ years of tedious, ardous, dangerous work in technological innovation.

It could also mean skipping the kind of Civilization killing accidents that can go along with such blind innovation.

For the life of me - I do not know why they wouldn't go ahead and share these things - unless they feel - (much like we do with children) - that our innocence should be preserved for a time.

I say - forget that - bring on the Grand New Paradigm!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
A very good and thoughtful question to ask and I am glad that you did.

Discovering life, currently existing outside of earth's influence or protection, off of this world, would be the single greatest zenith of hope imaginable for me.

It would be the fantasy and dream of millions of people being realized at once. Even if the life discovered and announced to the public were nothing but a single celled organism.

For me personally, it would restore the hope that a cure for incurable diseases might be possible as I have been told on numerous occasions that there is hope for the terminally ill and new discoveries emerge every day and that medical science continues to make progress, although I have not witnessed any break-through that might relieve the suffering of my younger brother or my father.

I have been told so many times to hold on to a belief, to a faith that never manifests in any relief as I watch these once strong and healthy men crumble into a frailty I could of never before imagined. My brother so young and my father, so strong.

A discovery of something so uniquely new would give me some sense of the impossible being yet possible in this world, something more than just words.

All that being said, don’t get me wrong, I do not pin my hopes on such things, actually I do not pin hope on anything any more, I simply accept what “is” and deal with things in the moment.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by sty

No they aren't. We think we are so informed and more knowledgable than the masses, but we are no better.

Besides, you will have idiots on here who will say "Aliens exist and the government is covering it up!" the day before we discover alien life and the day after will be say, "It's not true! It's all a government plot!"

[edit on 19-2-2009 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The economy as we know HAS collapsed..I doubt they could do anymore damage than we are doing to ourselves at this point. Just wait for peoples unemployment money to run dry, then they find out theres not even meanial jobs available, starvation sets in..Im scare of what happens next..

Originally posted by sty
Today (19th February 2009) ,on www.Space.com : "What Finding Alien Life Could Mean for Earth " . Very interesting , quote here:

Maybe this is a good place to ask: what would discovery of allien life mean to you ? On my side I guess it would not mean very much as I expect there is life out-there.

But still I would be curious how we would view the ideea of propriety, borders, money ? would the economy as we know it collapse? what would be the response form the main major religions?
many questions : so what do you think?

STY

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by sty
. I wonder how the economy would behave if Alien life would be disclosed..

Now that is one of the first good questions that I have heard put forward lately.

Think about it. The Nation & the world is on the precipice of economic collapse. The economy is spiraling downward at mach 3!

Everyone keeps saying..."if we fail, the good 'ole gov't will bail us out." Listen to the words..."gov't will bail us out?" WDC is bailing us out now! Duh...Somehow that resonates that we have failed. Or am I reading too far into this?

The world is ready for a new age of technology. We are crying out for it. Only problem there is , how will other nations apply it to weaponized technology to smoke their evil foes. And, if I might add, I just wonder if the turnip squeezing bloody handed oil tycoons are ready to give their share up. Hum? They must have their arms deeply greased behind a curtain. But it begs the question, "into what?"

When the hunger lines get long & the homeless/refugee tent camps grow into the hundreds of thousands, & after a few 3rd rate countries launch missiles, just maybe...maybe...the gov'ts & powers that be, will begin to open up the hidden ET tech secrets. But don't hold your breath yet.

Just my ruminations...

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Well it would prove all religions are done, and in fact imaginary man made etc....

Then I would have to laugh in the disbelief in every one of them poor saps that revolves their life around faith lol

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Actually, this very issue was addressed under the Brookings Report:

web.archive.org...://www.anomalies.net/brookings/brookings_summary.pdf

For myself, personally, it's like asking what would the meaning of life mean to you? In other words, its a fundamental question man has wanted to know for all of history.

Of course, what it would actually mean to me is somewhat dependent on what their agenda is... Big difference between say a "V" or "ET" scenario....

EDIT: corrected link, old ones were broken it seems. Also, here's some excerpts from the summary, so you don't have to search the whole thing:

Certain potential products or consequences of space activities imply such a
high degree of change in world conditions that it would be unprofitable
within the purview of this report to propose research on them. Examples
include a controlled thermonuclear fusion rocket power source and face-toface
meetings with extraterrestrials.

Though intelligent or semi-intelligent life conceivably exists elsewhere in
our solar system, if intelligent extraterrestrial life is discovered in the next
twenty years, it will very probably be by radio telescope from other solar
systems. Evidences of its existence might also be found in artifacts left on the
moon or other planets. The consequences for attitudes and values are
unpredictable, but would vary profoundly in different cultures and between
groups within complex societies; a crucial factor would be the nature of the
communication between us and the other beings. Whether or not earth
would be inspired to an all-out space effort by such a discovery is moot:
societies sure of their own place in the universe have disintegrated when
confronted by a superior society, and others have survived even though
changed. Clearly, the better we can come to understand the factors involved
in responding to such crises the better prepared we may be.

While the discovery of intelligent life in other parts of the universe is not
likely in the immediate future, it could nevertheless happen at any time.
Whenever it does occur its consequences for earth attitudes and values may
be profound. Hence a long-term research effort, which would aid in preparing
for this possibility, could usefully begin with:
A continuing determination of emotional and intellectual
understanding and attitudes regarding the possibility and consequences of
discovering intelligent extraterrestrial life.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by Gazrok]

sty

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
my hope is that a full disclosure would take eyes away from the game of gaining welath, and we would more focus on science/developement and understanding our universe. And also the impact- as mentioned by ATS-ers - would depend on what kind of life we manage to discover:

1) unicelular forms of life (or basic , maybe extraterestrial life is not necessary organised in cells). This would put as into an "alarm" mode

2) complex form of life, but not intelligent

3) intelligent life but without the possibility of contact ( like ancient artifacts or similar civilisations with ours that are not able to travel in spece and they beamed the signal thousands of years ago )

4) intelligent forms of life, that are willing to contact us in a friendly manner

5) intlelligent form of life - aggresive towards humans

6) artifficial forms of life or cyborg forms of life

7) super-intelligent forms of life , infinitely superior to us - that cannot be contacted due our lack of capacity to communicate to a similar level , however intelligence that manifests and has interest in us (like we would have for pets, wildlife etc)

8) hyper-dimmensional forms of life

maybe there are more possible forms of life, or mixture of the 8 - but somehow i believe each of them would have a very different form of impact on us, the humans.

sty

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

sorry, could you try with the link again ? i am not able to retrive that one, it says "404 file not found".. thanks!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazork

I second Stys request.
I for one would like to read the article in its entirety. Sounds as though it may have some merit.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join