It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holder: U.S. a 'Nation of Cowards' on Race Discussions

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Holder: U.S. a 'Nation of Cowards' on Race Discussions

www.cnn.com

In a blunt assessment of race relations in the United States, Attorney General Eric Holder Wednesday called the American people "essentially a nation of cowards" in failing to openly discuss the issue of race.

In his first major speech since being confirmed, the nation's first black attorney general told an overflow crowd celebrating Black History Month at the Justice Department the nation remains "voluntarily socially segregated."

"Though this nation has proudly thought of itself as an ethnic melting pot, in things racial we have always been and continue to be, in too many ways, essentially a nation of cowards," Holder declared.

Holder urged Americans of all races to use Black History Month as a time to have a forthright national conversation between blacks and whites to discuss aspects of race which are ignored because they are uncomfortable.

The attorney general said employees across the country "have done a pretty good job in melding the races in the workplace," but he noted that "certain subjects are off limits and that to explore them risks at best embarrassment and at worst the questioning of one's character."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
A nation of cowards?

The article goes on to talk about how he will work his stance into policy, including affirmative action.

I don't see us as a nation of cowards. I see us as a nation that is trying to be molded by political correctness and the need to never, ever offend anyone.

How can we have an honest conversation about race when honesty often brings forth the charge of racism?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I think you hit the nail on the head. It seems nowadays that even the slightest mention of anything racial garners you a racist label and even in some severe cases legal and economic sanctions in the form of discrimination lawsuits. We are encouraged to embrace and celebrate heritage and culture from every race in America, except white heritage. Even mentioning that you are quickly labled a racist or white supremecist. The arguement is that all of the other races in the America have been oppressed for so long that it is thier turn to be recognized. So in turn those that were discriminated against have now turned the tables and are doing the very same thing that they are decrying.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by djvexd]sp

[edit on 19-2-2009 by djvexd]sp

[edit on 19-2-2009 by djvexd]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Oh no, I think this phrase is going to be the next "God Damn America" "I am really proud of my country."

Since I;m whilte I can't say too much whether he is right or wrong, but there does seem to be a fine line between an ethnic group keeping their culture and fitting in to society, and sequestering themselves racially.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
White people are always on edge because a lot of black people carry a race card in their back pocket. I refer to my (white) little brother as a crazy monkey. It would be the end of the world if I refered to a black kid as a crazy monkey, To me its a harmless term, But some people would flip that around and make it seem racist if directed towards a black kid, those people are the real racists. There the ones giving the black community a bad rap. If i called a little black kid a crazy monkey, I would not think twice, but somebody over hearing might think... Oh why is he a monkey? Is it cause hes black? NO, its not cause hes black, Its a common term used to describe little kids being wild, get over it!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
How can we have an honest conversation about race when honesty often brings forth the charge of racism?

Just something to think about. How does it hurt you to be called racist? I mean, you seem to be using the excuse that you can't be honest because you might be called racist. If we're going to discuss openly and honestly, without being offended, then you shouldn't let being offended by the racism charge stop you from being honest.

You argue that all the political correctness isn't a good thing (and I agree) and we should be able to be honest, but then can't handle someone else being honest with you and maybe saying that they think you're racist? If you're concern is that others will be offended by what you have to say, maybe you can think about it the other way around and look at your own sensitivities about being called racist.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
The race card should not be a issue anymore and it is very sad that if you say something negative about someone other then the same race as you get labeled a racist.

I dont go around calling my self Irish-American since my family came from Ireland. I was born in America that makes me and anyone else born on the soil of USA a AMERICAN. It doesnt really matter where your family came from. Yes you may have african desenct or Irish or English or many other decents in your family tree. I have never set foot in Ireland only the soil I was born on so I personally think it would silly for me to go around saying I am Irish american.

We are all american and should treat each other the same regardless of the race. If something negative is said about a person it should not be labeled racist if that other person you are stating a issue against is another color as long as you dont come outright and use racist launage/terms at that person.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Oh the rhetoric already flowing from this administration...

Tell ya what Holder, we can have that discussion during "White History month" at an exclusively all white University to discuss how Affirmative Action is helping white males in their 30s and 40s NOT lose jobs to lesser qualified candidates based on the color of their skin! Sound good!?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Just something to think about. How does it hurt you to be called racist? I mean, you seem to be using the excuse that you can't be honest because you might be called racist. If we're going to discuss openly and honestly, without being offended, then you shouldn't let being offended by the racism charge stop you from being honest.

You argue that all the political correctness isn't a good thing (and I agree) and we should be able to be honest, but then can't handle someone else being honest with you and maybe saying that they think you're racist? If you're concern is that others will be offended by what you have to say, maybe you can think about it the other way around and look at your own sensitivities about being called racist.

It doesn't bother me if someone thinks I am racist. It does bother me that if I make a remark in passing to someone who knows me (like one of my black co-workers) that is over heard by someone who doesn't know me and then next thing I know, I am getting a lecture from my boss for being offensive and insensitive. (And, all of this stemmed from a comment about a cap)

I know what is in my heart and mind, as do my friends and family. But, we live in such "politically correct" times and these days, so many people feel they have the right to not be offended. Hell, where I work, men have to worry about saying "Good Morning" to certain people for the fear that they will be sued for sexual harassment. It has happened and people have lost their jobs.

BH, I have the utmost respect for you on this board, but some of the things you say just make me shake my head at times. This man is the attorney general of the US. He is claiming that we are cowards for not discussing race in an open and honest manner. But, when we try to talk about race, someone gets offended.....and these days, there are consequences for that.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Tell ya what Kosmo, ill attend that seminar, after my trip to the Miss White America pagent.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I have a friend at work who is black ( a St. Lucian) and he always told me that he hates Africans.
I asked him about the colour similarity and he said it's not the colour, its about where your from.
I DID goad him a little by saying that he was an African, he exploded till I said I was African too seeing as Africa was the cradle of Human life, so we're ALL Africans.
Race sucks, and its only the people who want attention or the posiiblity to get money by claiming they're a victim of a race attack, it doesn't matter what colour you are, whether or not you have a chip on your shoulder, but first impressions and actions count more than skin colour in my book.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Skeptic you are very right when you said
/quote on
there are consequences for that.
/quote off

In the DC metro area they have a law for that its called Hate Crime and the punishiment for it is very very stiff

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
skeptic1 - let me be clear that I'm using the generic "you" and not talking about you in particular.

He is claiming that we are cowards for not discussing race in an open and honest manner.

And you're offended at that? Are you offended at being called a coward? Because that's what political correctness is all about. People are being called on to be politically correct so we don't offend anyone. Yet you (and others) are offended at Holder's telling the truth as he sees it. You are offended by his honesty. By his words. Yet you call on others to give up political correctness. This is a 2-way street. That's all I'm saying.

But, when we try to talk about race, someone gets offended.....

Yes. And we ALL have to get over it. That's my point. If you are offended at being called "racist", then that's part of the problem, just as other people getting offended at the stuff they don't like.

You seem to not want anyone else to get offended by what you have to say about race, but you let their words offend you and keep you from talking openly and honestly about it. That's what Holder is saying.

People are "afraid" of what will be said. You're "afraid" of being called racist, so you let that fear keep you from talking honestly about it.

And I'm not just talking about you.
I'm talking about everyone who doesn't want to talk about race because they are offended at being called racist. If we're going to get over it, we have to ALL get over being offended by these words.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I have always maintained that what a person thinks is more important than who the person is.

The problem I found with some (sadly) is that they are 'fixed' in their self-image as a person of color. I fantasize about a world full of people who cannot actually 'see' each other. Imagine that, sort of like internet contact, not knowing that the person with whom you are communicating is someone who's very physical appearance would invoke bias reactions.

In such a place, one's value as a human being would be on equal footing at all times.

Many of our children (thank goodness) are apparently abandoning the notion of attributing some special significance to racial heritage. But the older generations, in particular those entrenched in politics and media, seem unwilling to allow this to become a non-issue.

I see many 'celebrities' (by which I mean public figures of automatic noteworthiness according to the media) who would lose a lot of clout if this became a 'non-issue.' Some would welcome the change, others seem to feed of the contrived 'conflict'.

These are cultural growing pains. Eventually, people will have no choice but to accept that the tonality of one's skin pigmentation is irrelevant.

What's more important than race? Almost everything. Unless your religious beliefs mandate otherwise (I had to mention that since some groups actually DO demand 'racial' awareness as a component of their doctrine.) Perhaps the time will come when those 'religious' leaders will denounce the affectation as inconsistent with humanity's destiny (whatever that may be.)

I remember Malcom's moment of revelation when he realized that Islam was not a 'black' thing as his mentors and peers in the US had been promoting (market 'branding' it really). I almost cried with joy for his epiphany. Of course, some say this might have contributed to his ultimate demise - which shows how important racial conflict is to those who exploit it for their own ends

[edit on 19-2-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You are right. We ALL have to get over it. But, I honestly don't see that happening. I live in the South, so maybe it is different down here. But, in a lot of instances and in a lot of places, it is like trying to walk on eggshells. And, there are consequences now.

Coupling political correctness with the appearance (right or wrong) of racism has made society a minefield for a lot of people. Words have to be measured carefully. The looks on faces have to be controlled a certain way. Phrases have to be measured......actions analyzed to minute detail.

I would love for everyone in this country to put race behind us, but I think we've gotten to the point where that might not be possible. And, in my mind, it has little to do with actual race and more to do with political correctness and some people feeling that they are entitled to not be offended.

JMO...

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
These are cultural growing pains. Eventually, people will have no choice but to accept that the tonality of one's skin pigmentation is irrelevant.

Great point. We are still "in it". We can't just ignore it or put it behind us, because like an infection, it will fester and keep causing trouble. We have to get through it.

We ALL have to get over it. But, I honestly don't see that happening.

It might take years, but I think it will happen. As a country and a people, we will grow. All of us. Yes, there are those who over-identify with race. And there are those who have deep-set racial prejudices, but the large center is going to lead the way in understanding each other.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
If I raise any uncomfortable facts about African Americans or Hispanic Americans or illegal aliens, I am automatically called a bigot and racist. If I were to suggest closing the US border by force, or question the validity of affirmative action, or the greatest sin question the ability of our CnC, I am derided as neo-nazi!

How, how can I do anything but keep my mouth shut? If you don't agree with the PC status quo then you will be attacked. Keeping my mouth shut is not cowardice, it's self-preservation!

Multiculturism is a scam and that's a fact. It's done nothing for blacks or whites but create a climate of fear and hate.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by traderjack
If I raise any uncomfortable facts about African Americans or Hispanic Americans or illegal aliens, I am automatically called a bigot and racist. If I were to suggest closing the US border by force, or question the validity of affirmative action, or the greatest sin question the ability of our CnC, I am derided as neo-nazi!

How, how can I do anything but keep my mouth shut? If you don't agree with the PC status quo then you will be attacked. Keeping my mouth shut is not cowardice, it's self-preservation!

Multiculturism is a scam and that's a fact. It's done nothing for blacks or whites but create a climate of fear and hate.

You know, I have to agree that your opinion is suppressed in such an environment. However, I think you may be incorrect about multiculturalism.

I think it is the 'execution' and 'leadership' of multiculturalism that has made it the problem it is. It's the insertion of political (and hence economic) agendas into the mix that makes it what it is.

I think we have made an error - collectively, as brothers and sisters of the same nation - in accepting that our 'political' celebrities are capable, or even inclined, to resolve this issue VIA culture. They want to solve it "POLITICALLY" - which is like driving a screw with a hammer. (In my humble opinion)

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by traderjack
If I raise any uncomfortable facts about African Americans or Hispanic Americans or illegal aliens, I am automatically called a bigot and racist.

So what? How does that hurt you? We are ALL called things that we're not. I've been called a racist, a bigot, a liberal, an Obamabot and several other things I'll not repeat here, none of them true, but do you see me shutting up about it?
That's because I'm not afraid of being called something.

How, how can I do anything but keep my mouth shut?

That's what Holder is talking about. Don't be a coward. Don't be "offended" just because someone called you a name. Jesus, I would have been gone a long time ago if I let school yard names send me home.

Keeping my mouth shut is not cowardice, it's self-preservation!

I call BS. How are you threatened by words on a computer screen? Have the guts to be called a racist. Trust me, after brushing it off a few times, it gets easier.

Originally posted by Maxmars
You know, I have to agree that your opinion is suppressed in such an environment.

No one's opinion is suppressed! Being called a name does NOT suppress you from expressing your opinion. When we express ourselves, people have the right to say what they think about it. That's NOT suppression! That's an exchange of thought. When did having a difference of opinion turn into suppression of speech?

Look at all the complaints about what Eric Holder said. Are you suppressing his opinion?

This is a 2-way street!

[edit on 19-2-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
America is not a nation of cowards
Just a nation of self-contradiction

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join