It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jury orders rancher to pay $77,804 to illegal aliens

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Jury orders rancher to pay $77,804 to illegal aliens

www.chron.com

But the jury did find him liable on four claims of assault and four claims of infliction of emotional distress and ordered Barnett to pay $77,804 in damages — $60,000 of which were punitive.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
16 Illegals Sue Arizona Rancher--Claim violation of "rights."

[edit on 2/19/2009 by staple]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
It is crazy in my mind to think that the "emotional distress" is a real crime. Of course you would have emotional distress from getting caught. Imagine every illegal getting caught trying that excuse. All charges should have been dropped in my opinion. Hopefully having lawyers tie up the legal system up with cases like this is not a growing trend.

www.chron.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Ok, it's official, the system is done, broken, malfunctioning.

It's time for this to end.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
This jury is a bunch of twats. Don't they think of the precedence this will set? Just watch how this kind of lawsuits will rise...

Those people are just insane.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I wonder if the Jury were made up of mostly Mexican Immigrants.

Bye bye America, hello Mexerica.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
How many did this one rancher stop and turn in over the years again? I would tell them that they can take it out of the back pay owed for doing the government's job for them.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
wow, thats amazing!

To think you can enter a country illegally and then get paid for it!

The American dream is still alive

you'll be seeing me at a border near you

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Yes, that truly is incredible. Imagine losing that amount of cash for these reasons. I'd probably go mental...

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Great, maybe he'll learn a lesson. It's time for these rednecks to stop playing GI-Joe and come back to reality. Just because you own a gun doesn't mean you can shove it in peoples faces and think you're some kind of a cop.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Omg proof that aliens exist!

+10 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Phlegmi

That's not what it's about. They were on HIS property. If you're entering the country illegally, knowing what goes through the border, and you came on to my property I would likely meet you with a gun as well. It's not playing cop as you like to put it. It's protecting ones' life, liberty, and property.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
this is what US juries do - FFS they gave money to a stupid bitch who didnt realise that coffee was hot

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
This should have been handled by giving the rancher a REAL border patrol badge, instead of the one he flashed. He estimates that he had turned in over ten thousand illegal immigrants to the proper authorities. I think he deserves the badge.

On another note: WTH ever happened to personal responsibility?? If these people had not been breaking the law, they would not have had to endure the emotional distress for which they were paid!!! Not just in this case, but in so many around the country...If you don't want bad things to happen to you, STOP BREAKING THE LAW!!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

How many did this one rancher stop and turn in over the years again? I would tell them that they can take it out of the back pay owed for doing the government's job for them.

I'd give your post 4 stars if I could...

peace

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Point of Order here........

Impeach the moron judge that allowed this case in court.

Investigate the backgound of this judge, pay-offs etc....

And yes, was the jury actual US citizens? Legal citizens?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Phlegmi

:shk:

This is America. Americans have a right to defend themselves and their property. The illegals should have no rights.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
When a nation is run by corruption every part of the nations agencies will sell themselves for money.

Wake up people this happening everyday behind your backs in your neck of the woods.

This what America has become under a corrupted government.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I am in a completely disagreeable mood today - lol

I will never condone the brandishing or use of guns for property protection, which is all that was at stake here;
on the other hand, neither could I condone the trespassing of this man's property, or littering and alleged property damage by the "migrants".

So, I dunno where that leaves me except glad I do not live there. If I had no where else to live I would probably keep a very large flock of noisy geese on the grounds. They do a pretty good job of protecting territory -- the breweries use them here all the time.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Have no rights?? People should have rights in every country! Or when I go on vacation is it 'legal' that the room maid steal my clothes?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Mass produce some tens of thousands of maps to the judge's and jury members' private residences. Spread the word along the border towns that the thirteen locations are 'safe havens' for illegals (totally factual, apparently).

Have fun!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join