It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US urges Nato to up Afghan effort

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   

US urges Nato to up Afghan effort

news.bbc.co.uk

The US has urged its Nato allies to increase their troop levels in Afghanistan to fight the Taleban.

The comments were made by US Defence Secretary Robert Gates ahead of Thursday's Nato summit in Poland.

Meanwhile, America's top commander in Afghanistan predicted that the coming year would be "tough".
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-2-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Ok one last one for the evening Now it's time to separate the BS from reality. We are really going to find out now who is in and who has just been giving lip service

'Serious question marks'

"The [US] administration is prepared... to make additional commitments to Afghanistan, but there clearly will be expectations that the allies must do more as well," Mr Gates said.

He said Washington was especially keen for its allies to supply troops ahead of Afghanistan's presidential elections in August, adding that "the response so far has been disappointing".

He was speaking on board a US military plane en route to the two-day Nato meeting in Krakow.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
So far I think the Brits will have the steadfastness to stay the course!

She adds that Britain is also expected to add to that pressure on several Western European allies to shoulder a fairer share of the burden. Britain is the second biggest contributor to the Nato-led mission, with more than 8,000 troops deployed in Afghanistan.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I guess this is where we see how much the world likes Obama.

If he can't rally the world leaders to help out, he could have trouble with them in other areas. Afghanistan is getting interesting by the minute.

IMO, countries will avoid Afghanistan like the plague.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I'm sorry but I spat my scotch all over my screen when I read this

"We will not change our tactics in Afghanistan on the basis of uncorroborated and unsourced gossip from people who don't have the courage to put their names to their remarks," Mr Hutton said.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I guess this is where we see how much the world likes Obama.

If he can't rally the world leaders to help out, he could have trouble with them in other areas. Afghanistan is getting interesting by the minute.

IMO, countries will avoid Afghanistan like the plague.

Well we are going to find out real soon here.
It seems that Obama is playing this real quick and in their face.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
This is the big drug war I keep seeing(in the stars) - Afganistan's poppy industry growing at alarming speed - Taliban militants hired to protect the industry...It is a never ending story!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I think the term "you broke it, you own it" should be applied to this mess.

What's it got to do with NATO? Was a NATO member attacked by Afghanistan or did those dreaded Taliban declare war on the NATO members?

I still have not seen a valid reason for the UK being there at all.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Well my friend I think you have a valid question, I would take that up with your Government. Obviously they feel differently so much so that they are willing to put people in harms way aye?

new topics

top topics

join