It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl, 14, Arrested for Text-Messaging in School

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I second WELDER.

I can put money on the fact the kid is probably a regular pain in the ass. We have all gone through the system. Some here are clearly still going through the system. The police only involve themselves when the school can no longer act on the individual. You can only do so much.

Now everyone, use your sense. I know this is hard for some of you. But give it a shot. If you want an excuse to scream police state, you should do it where its applicable. Such as police beating helpless old ladies. Soldiers marching down your streets. But wait. I forgot, hardly anybody on here knows how to exercise the democratic process. Whoops. Should have covered that in school eh?

*opens book on, "The How To On Throwing Over the Government"*

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
What you mean they didn't use the Tazer on her?

C'mone! Tazer! Tazer! Tazer! What kind of police state is this anyways?

she must have been texting, 'Someone set us up the bomb!" hence terrorist threat and off to Gitmo she goes.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Here we go. Just what I was looking for. More nonsense in the story.

Do we have any cops here? Probably not eh? Pitty. Anyways, this is the legal document the website posts. Now remember, this is a LEGAL document. Meaning the form cant contain mistakes. Here is your mistake.

www.thesmokinggun.com...

This is page four of the document. Read through the information incased within it. Notice the date that she cant return till Feb 17th 2008? Yet the form is dated for Feb 11th 2009. This inconsistency wouldnt stand in court. If you REALLY care. Find a lawyer.

Anyways, have a good one.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

And you bet that a law sue will be in order, where are the days when we just took away the personal property away and have the parents come to take care of the problem.

I guess now a days when it comes to children the state makes the last decision on how to handle problematic children and parents intervention or permission is no longer needed.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Sorry I have to side with RFBurns on this one. Everyone is focusing on the texting aspect of the situation. First MOST if not ALL schools have on duty school resource officers. So it is more than likely that 911 wasn't dialed. Second if you lie, obfuscate or conceal things from a police officer during questiong or an investigation you open yourself up to a charge of disorderly. The kid violated a school policy, then refused to listen to her teacher and then lied to an administrator AND a police officer, attmepting to hide a cell phone on her person. This kind of mentality and lack of parenting skills that is generally found in stories such as this is becoming old. "I don't want my kid to go through what I did when I grew up, the spankings and groundings. When I grow up and have kids of my own, they will be free to express themselves!" All fine and dandy just don't come bitching and whining when they end up in juvy. This isn't about police overstepping thier bounds, it is about a kid that doesn't respect adults. PERIOD. Oh and by the way...children do NOT HAVE RIGHTS under the law until the legal age of 18. And rightfully so. It is time parents start taking responsibility for thier lack of parenting skills.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by djvexd]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

hey. it's a police state.. what do you expect?

[edit on 19-2-2009 by prevenge]

I think that just about sums up my thoughts.

Do people still think we live in a free country or something?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

I spend several years as a teacher from grade school to high school and children always find ways to challenge authority in all the years that I spend within the school system I never saw anybody calling the police on any students from braking the school rules.

I have various encounter with disorderly students and even one fight broke off in my classroom.

Still the school took care of the problem without any calls to the police.

I stopped teaching in 2003 before the patriot act, so I guess I see how the rules has change a lot.

Now everybody is a possible criminal in the making, have to take care of all those young terrorist in the school system.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I'm not quite sure where you taught, and god bless you for doing it, but even when I was in High School, some 15 years ago, cops routinely had to intervene. School fights are one thing, but even when I was a sophmore we had those kids that absolutley refused to be told to do ANYTHING, usually with a response of "FU b*&^&" And I can only imagine this trend has increased in its popularity. I'm sorry if you can't see the lack of parenting here, or maybe you subscribe to the montessore side of education, either way this kid broke the rules, lied to a cop and generally gave everyone involved a hard time. If you or I di that during a traffic stop, I guarantee the results would be far worse.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

I am in GA and I been in all type of schools from the ones that are just beyond control to those that are just a pleasure to teach.

Still the state supports alternative schools for students that can not make it in a regular classroom.

Weeding the problematic students and identifying them is a lot easier than having them interrupting the classroom.

And every time that a student had a problem the parent teacher conferences are still part of the steps to handle the problems.

And as usual parents will always blame the school first rather than accepting that their children have a problem.

But I guess since 2003 things has change dramatically.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

And as usual parents will always blame the school first rather than accepting that their children have a problem.

Sometimes the problem is not that the child has a problem, it is because there is a problem with the parenting of the child with the problem caused by the bad parenting.

In essence, parents that put blame on the school are in denial, not in denial of the child, but of themselves.

I am so glad I grew up during a time when we had to actually earn our privilages, and maintain a certian expected level of respect, responsibility and behavior to keep those privilages, and also to earn more. These days kids just get stuff because the parents want them out of their way, and dont even bother to participate in the child's interest, just sit there on their duff and buy the kid stuff to get them out of their hair.

When I was a kid, I was interested in electronic and electrical stuff, as well as models, all kinds of models. When I got a model as a gift or out of doing something good, my dad would actually sit with me at the table and help me build it, paint it, and wire it up with lights or motors or whatever. And along the way, we would talk about what made things work, the motor or the lights or how the battery power flow goes through the circuts etc. That is parent involvement.

My mother would do the same with us and would do the same with my sister. She helped my sister build a doll house kit and helped her make the little furniture and rugs and tiny wall paintings. We once all got together after I came up with the idea to put lights in it, and all of us turned that doll house into a mini-version of a real house. Thats called family time, family involvement.

Then with my kids, I did the very same thing with them. I helped my son put together an RC airplane, one of those huge F-22 RC planes. We loaded that thing up with landing lights, clearance lights on the wings, installed a small CCD camera in the canopy and even made a small heads up display so that when you viewed the camera feed on a monitor, it looked just like as if you were sitting in a real F-22 cockpit. My daughter also loved doll houses. I helped her put lights, and even a music system with little speakers in the ceilings and a small 2 inch LCD screen in the living room area and made a home theatre for that doll house.

We had so much fun putting that all together. My son still has that airplane, and my daugher still has that doll house.

Does anything like this happen today?

It probably does....but as to how much it actually does happen, is worthy of a study. I would bet that it does not even occur a tiny fraction of what it used to back in the good ol days.

Its too bad too, because with all this new technology and gadgets and stuff, no telling what kind of creative imagination can be sparked in a child, boy or girl.

Basically, creativity and success in a child's life begins at home. But on the other side of the coin...a child's problems also begin at the home.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Yes I also grew up in a time when it was unthinkable to talk back to your teachers.

But we have allowed this to happen, society is now a more stressful place now that it was 30 or 40 years ago.

And is not going to get any better.

The quality of time that parents used to enjoy with the children is not longer available to all.

The disintegration of the nuclear family is a big problem.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

I am betting that this isn't her first incidence.

If she wasn't willing to turn over the phone when the teacher asked, she was hiding something bigger.

If you don't want to lose your phone people, then leave it at home or in the car.

Teachers are just having to battle the constant interruptions and texting that goes on constantly now.

it is bad enough that kids put acronyms into the reasearch papers.

it won't kill you to unplug.

There is not to say it is to not organize violence either. Woudn't be hard to text everyone to jump some poor kid.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
if anything the text messenging should be in schools, for **** sakes, even Obam had to fight to keep his blackberry.

Most jobs' now'adays' kind'a need to text messeg or use a blackberry.

I'd put money the teacher just pissed cause the teacher can't text

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I'm gonna have to say Bravo to the school. Scream police state and security cameras in lockers and whatever you want, but young people and their cell phones are just ridiculous these days. Lying, concealing, texting in class, and in general disrespectful behaviour? Yeah cart her off in a cruiser and make an example of her for all her half-wit friends to see. Of course her friends probably were snapping pics of the whole thing with their iPhones and it will be this doofus' profile pic on Facebook by the weekend. Her "street" cred prolly just shot through the roof.(Hang on I need to vomit after this realization.

This is not a case of some big bad cop flexing his muscle, or some zealous principal out to ruin some kids life. It's a school system at the end of its rope and boxed in by ignorant parents and a lawsuit happy legal system. Maybe if we actually punish kids ina way that means something to them, maybe kids will get their heads out of their backsides.

Kids these days don't know a damn thing about character and integrity, they know how to sext message and act like the morons on MTV. These people are our future remember? Maybe we do need to beat them over the head with the common sense stick until they get the picture, being a dumb@ss is not cool, being smart, respectful, and mature IS.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Simple solution....

Teacher asks student to put away cell phone

Student ignores and continues texting

Teacher asks again, please stop texting in class and pay attention

Student ignores and continues to text

Teacher pulls student out of the class into the hallway and asks the student to pay attention, ask why she will not pay attention and see what the student says...get a feel for the kid. Explain that other kids are trying to learn and it's disrespectful to sit there and text. Tell the kid if you don't want to learn and fail my class thats fine but if you want to keep texting and not pay attention then leave the classroom please. Now go back inside

Student basically tells you to piss off by getting the phone back out and continues texting

Teacher walks over, grabs phone from kid, proceeds to turn the phone into about 10 peices, hands it back to the kid, sends the kid to the principles office and goes back to teaching useful students.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by darklife
Think of how you would have felt if a flipping cop arrested you for doing something this innocent in class.

Yeah but see we wouldn't have been this disrespectful. We were taught by parents to have manners and act right. If I would of acted like this in class and got into trouble for being an ignorant ahole my parents would of taken the phone, never got it back, grounded, and who knows what else.

People wonder why we have more crime now than ever in the US. Could it be because we are letting a system being worked into place to police the whole country on everything even in the schools? Watch when these kids grow up and feel the same towards cops that we felt like towards our principals in our youth when we got in a little trouble. It won't be "cops are your friend" mentality by any means!

No sorry...thats not why crime is up. Crime is up because DISIPLINE is down. We have allowed kids to run wild without TRUE punishment and now its out of hand and we don't know how to deal with it. Like I said, years ago my arse would be sore from acting like this in school...but my guess is these parents will sue for money, blame the school, let her keep the cell phone, blame blame blame and never once scold her for being a pain.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Here's the story from the local news. And for the record, schools make it abundantly clear that cellphones and other electronics are not allowed in schools. I have a 14yr old son, and a 12yr old daughter, so I've heard enough from the schools on this issue.

www.fox11online.com...

* By FRANK CARNEVALE, Special Contributor WAUWATOSA, Wis. - A 14-year-old girl at Wauwatosa East High School was arrested last Wednesday after she refused to stop texting in class. According to the police report , the girl at first denied having a cell phone when confronted by a school security guard. The phone was located during a body search. The phone was recovered "from the buttocks area" of the student, the police report said. The student was issued a citation for disorderly conduct, based on her disruption of the class, insubordination and lying to security. An initial court data of April 20 court has been scheduled. According to the report, the girl has a history of "negative contacts" with the administration.

Looks to me, that by her repetitive bad behavior, she deserved the charge.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75

Teacher walks over, grabs phone from kid, proceeds to turn the phone into about 10 peices, hands it back to the kid, sends the kid to the principles office and goes back to teaching useful students.

Well that sounds nice but then that would bring lawsuit for destroying private property.

The best thing the teacher could do is to simply tell the student to leave the class and go to the office. That eliminates the further disruption of the class. If the student doesnt go to the office, well the student will have to face the consequences for that on their own.

We can postulate the steps of events that happend that led to the cops being called on this student. Something had to have happend for reason the cops were called. Just smart mouthing or refusing to hand over a cell phone would not be reason to call the cops.

This student should have just shut off the phone and let it go at that. But that is not what happend. Technically this student made it worse for themself by doing 3 wrong things....not ceasing to text message during class, not complying with the request to stop, and then lying about having a cell phone to the school and to the cops.

3 whammys all brought upon herself by herself. Seems quite clear that this student doesnt know the meaning of respect and responsibility...something that is taught in pre school.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns

I believe that disorderly conduct is an arrestable offense.

Depends on the state. In some states it's a misdemeanor (arrestable) in others it's just a ticketable offense.

Was the girl actually arrested and taken to jail, or just placed in handcuffs (detained) and given a talking-to? There's quite a difference, and unless I glanced over it in the article, it's not made clear what happened.

Disorderly conduct is a "catch-all" term that can be used for anything. If you spit on the ground it could be disorderly conduct, if you blare your music too loud it could be disorderly conduct, and yes even text messaging in school and bothering others could be considered disorderly conduct.

"Disorderly conduct" laws were invented to give police a way to arrest people who were clearly breaking the law and being a nuisance, but not breaking any particular specific law. For instance, sure there's not a law that says you can't set up a speaker system around the perimeter of your neighbor's property and play loud music at 500 decibels from 12am to 11am, while revving a chainsaw and walking backwards singing the "i love you" song from barney, but we can all clearly agree that the police should be able to stop the person from doing that if it's bothering the neighbor. So hence, they would get charged with disorderly conduct. They couldn't get charged with a "do not play 500 decibel music law at 12am to 11am while revving chainsaw and singing i love you" law, because no such law exists.

It's impossible to write a law for every single scenario that could exist, because the possibilities are endless. Hence why a 'catch all' law such as disorderly conduct is needed.

What it all boils down to, is officer discretion. A good officer who is skilled will know when disorderly conduct should be used and when it shouldn't. An unskilled officer might wrongly use it. In this case with the cell phone text messaging, it was probably wrongly used from a moral and ethical standpoint, but he was still within his boundaries as an officer to do so.

[edit on 22-2-2009 by ProfessorRusso]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
This just reminds me of things I've read where the goal of the NWO is to reduce the role of the family to the point where police intervention is seen as normal.

Clearly the girl is an annoying waste of space.

Equally, involving the police is way OTT but as other posters have remarked, the power of the teacher has been eroded to a hopeless degree.

No-one comes out of this well - certainly not the annoying child, nor the school, nor the parents, nor the police.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join