It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug violence spins Mexico toward 'civil war'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Drug violence spins Mexico toward 'civil war'

www.cnn.com

Mexico, a country with a nearly 2,000-mile border with the United States, is undergoing a horrifying wave of violence that some are likening to a civil war. Drug traffickers battle fiercely with each other and Mexican authorities. The homicide rate reached a record level in 2008 and indications are that the carnage could be exceeded this year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   

very day, newspapers and the airwaves are filled with stories and images of beheadings and other gruesome killings. Wednesday's front page on Mexico City's La Prensa carried a large banner headline that simply said "Hysteria!" The entire page was devoted to photos of bloody bodies and grim-faced soldiers. One photo shows a man with two young children walking across a street with an army vehicle in the background, with a soldier standing at a turret machine gun.

Larry Birns, director of the Washington-based Council on Hemispheric Affairs, calls it "a sickening vertigo into chaos and plunder."

By most accounts, that's not hyperbole.

"The grisly portrait of the violence is unprecedented and horrific," said Robert Pastor, a Latin America national security adviser for President Jimmy Carter in the late 1970s.

I think this is bad. It's about time that politicians did something about our boarders. Bush with his open door policy letting anyone in who wanted to, really, that doesn't help much, and, ,right now Mexico is in a civil war basically.

This is bad... there's been a lot of violence and kidnappings lately in Mexico. I hope it gets better there. We can't have our neighbor in a civil war, because, there's probably a chance that we'll get involved, and, maybe it will spill over to here in the USA and perhaps even Canada if it gets that bad.

So... I hope this doesn't get worse.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
So should we just shut down the border and let many people die for a problem we contribute to or should we help out our neighbors in their time of need?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Ideally we would do both...

We need to do something about the situation there, and, we have to prevent violence from spilling into Texas and the Western US.

Who knows what could happen.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I agree with what you say. I still have this feeling that all of this is leading to something bigger. Mexico's collapse and the US running in to the rescue to establish part of the NAU maybe?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Maybe. Who knows? Could the people who were responsible for Mexico's collapse be agents of the NAU and the new world order? What do you think?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I just find it strange that out of the blue, the military predicted a collapse, Mexico is #2 on the CIA list, yet their is still no urgency to seal up the border. This problem didn't escalate or develop overnight. I am sure somebody notice that these gangs would become a serious threat. Why wait for it to escalate before taking care of the problem.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I live in Texas I have seen mass deportations before, I will admit it was humorous seeing vans coming and picking up illegal immigrants at local Don Jose's Restaurants.

But really there are a ton of mexican gangs down here that loiter around the streets with spray paint and permanent markers writing meaningless new gang symbols into tables walls streets anything!! at first your like well there trying, but now there are hundreds of gang related deaths, the streets that once were high class are graffitied to hell, and I personally feel its ruining the city I've grown up in......drinkng a little and ranting.

If I was an al qaida terrorist or whatever I would fly to mexico walk over the border to the USA then bombed, seems easy enough. If I get caught along the way I'll send that person to prison or sue them, thats just what everyone else is doing.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
i have mixed feelings about this issue in mexico

i kinda of want mexico to be in war but at the same time the circumstance don't satisfy me

i would welcome a war if it was between the citizens and the government but when drug dealers are part of the problem im kind of scared of the possible outcome that can arise.

at this moment the drug cartels are testing the power of the military, if the military cant do its job then the future of mexico's power seems dim

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Robert Pastor. What the hell he is doing there? Robert Pastor is the big advocate of the North American Union....

This is getting bad, thanks to the drugs being illegal.

Worst case scenario: the mexican government collapse and a few millions of mexicans pack up and come up in the USA... leading to gunfights all around the border and crime exploding due to economic chaos in the USA....

Investors will sure like to see that... millions of people going in the US.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Being a born and raised Texan, this strikes very close to home. If Mexico were to erupt into war Afghanistan wouldn't be where the troops need to be.
Mexican drug cartels are domestic terrorists and need to be wiped out. Their savagery is well known and once it starts to involve US citizens and towns, the country will be in an uproar.

Sadly it already does involve US citizens and towns, it's just ignored by most mainstream media.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Just ANOTHER on-going travesty completely resulted from the unconstitutional prohibition of drugs.

Legalize and regulate, all of a sudden cartels don't make any money trafficking drugs.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Reddupo

How is legalizing drugs going to keep Mexico out of violence?

second line

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Forget bad this is absolutely terrible. If it was up to me, i would invade mexico, dissolve the government, handpick replacement officials to stand in until the country is stable enough for a election..but then again, that's what we always do..and it NEVER works so. Mexico needs some international help, but america is funding their problem.

Hey wait a minute...if you legalize drugs then those cartels would instantly lose their market. Who gives a damn what a grown man does in the comfort of his own home as long as he is not hurting another human being? Alcohol is the biggest "drug" racket, prohibition proved it and now it's legal?

Between that and the UFOs, man mexico is in the hurt locker..but you can only blame the government. If you listen to them, the system down they admit they have a problem but one they can deal with, hardly. The wholere is corrupt, money talks and BS walks peroid.

I mean really, since 9/11 those cartels are making a KILLING moving their own and other people's product across the border.

One can dream of a peaceful mexico though. Hell yea, i'd be chillin there all the time chief, believe dat!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Legalizing drugs breaks the chain. What do you think happened to all of those gangs and bootleggers once alcohol was legalized? Most went out of buisness, some went legal and others just moved to another trade.

Without the money that illegal drug sales are bringing in it will dry up the flowing money..the money that is used to keep that great drug cartel machine lubed and ready to go. When their boyz stop gettin paid they will either get froggy or switch employers. If too many employees leave the company it creates a vacuum and leaves you open to rivals.

Over time real estate starts to crumble and their power base starts to erode enough for the gov't to deliver a killing blow...if they aren't totally corrupt that is.

It's a simple chain. But you must remember that if drugs are legal, then those cartels that are causing the violence to keep that trade open, won't have a market. W

hy buy some chronic from hector on the corner that i know is a stingy dime with stems and seeds (hector is tryin to get on!) when i can go the corner market and get a fat dub sac of some kush or purp

Speaking of which.....

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
So should we just shut down the border and let many people die for a problem we contribute to or should we help out our neighbors in their time of need?

we just gave them 15 billion in 08 for drug/narcotic enforcement etc

we have trained there police forces as well

granted we help create the market

but again,,,,when will the US stop meddlin in other countries
yes protect our border,,,

you act as if we owe them help,,it's our duty

but it's not and we can't save everyone

also,,,did we save the 35,000 children that starved to death in africa today,,,no

if we're gonna help,,, i believe we could do more good in helping them(kids) than sticking our nose in another countries political, law problems
all it will create is more potential blowback

and yeah,,,you don't see to much of this on tv,,,, if it's this b ad it should be on msm more it seems

maybe our gov't wants it quiet,,,and secretly watching this,,looking for a chance or scenario to take full advantage of it

[edit on 19-2-2009 by shortywarn]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Africa isn't our next door neighbor. If you help Mexico, it could possibly improve their style of life where they wouldn't be such a burden on the US. I am not advocating that we jump in and take over. We just need to get more involved with helping them to spy on these drug dealers so they can take them out. Sending money is wrong in my view. Why would we even think about sending money to a corrupt country?

The war on drugs is a failure and Columbia and Mexico proves it. We have to find a way to get our own citizens off drugs to lower demand or just legalize the whole mess. Of course, legalizing it will just open up another can of worms.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Of course, legalizing it will just open up another can of worms.

How would it open up a can of worms? Do you think everyone who doesn't use heroin now will rush to the stores to get their new addiction? People who want drugs get drugs - regardless of the law. People who do not want to use drugs don't get drugs - regardless of the law. Usage rates only increase after prohibition.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I think the US should band together and assist the cartels by buying they're savory products. Did someone say "coke party?"

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Now understanding full repeal of all prohibition is a bit intense for America to do it at once:

Walters said the U.S. government is seeking additional resources to prosecute traffickers of marijuana, which now earns cartels about $8.5 billion or about 61 percent of their annual estimated income of $13.8 billion.

Source
Legalize the plant and kill more than half their market.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join