It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 2012 hoax: possibly the biggest hoax of all time?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I believe that 2012 is the biggest hoax of all time.

I will attempt to present my case as to why 2012 is the greatest hoax of all time in the realm of conspiracy land.

First, the 2012 phenomenon is based on people's deepest fears. People try to impose their philosophies on what the end of the world will be like-- humans like to put a date at the end of the world, and, date it, because they have blind faith in these armageddon prophecies. They have blind faith in religion and they think the end of times are coming, and that 2012 is coming to end it all. People seem to think that there is going to be nothing worth living after that time for some reason-- so now we have a lot of people foolishly believing it based on fear, or, because that "aliens are going to come on that date and kill us all."

People who say that people who are skeptics of the 2012 theories are just spreading disinformation and are ignoring the facts are being ignorant themselves. Many people who attempt to prove these 2012 theories are real they provide scripture from a bible or from some religious source-- when religion is rarely a source for anything factual- and we know of all the prophecies that have been false, but, when they're proved false they're interpreted in many different ways by people who want to still believe in them. But am I a disinformation agent simply just because I don't believe in it? I don't believe in it and for good reasons.

The people that claim that 2012 will be the end of the world try to make it seem like there will be a tons of natural disasters which will end our planet. They seem to be mindlessly bend somewhat like a cult, on the belief, that 2012 will be the end of the world. They try to piece things together that are happening today with the prophecies put forth by 2012 theorists about the end of the world. Until 2012 nothing is proven yet, another day will go by, with no real meaning, except for something that has happened on that day, but whatever it is- December 12, 2012 will just go by on as another date in human history as another end of the world hoax.

What will happen to all these people who think that the end of the world will end at 2012? Their theories will be exposed for everyone to see them how they really are. All these people scam people into buying their books and into buying their products to submit to their 2012 post Mayan religion. These people are nothing but missionaries, trying to convert people, to their beliefs as to how to get by this time in crisis. They say things-- like if you believe you will be saved. They claim to have talked to extra terrestrial beings about it, or, that people have sent them thoughts about what will happen in the future. After December 12th, 2012 they will be out of a job. That's another reason why this is the greatest hoax of all time. They love to play off of people's fears to get money. When the date passes they'll have to come up with other dates to make the same amount of money, and, it's going to get harder on them because by then people will wake up and recognize that this is nothing but a faux belief, and, that prophecies aren't really real with the exception of a few cases, but that this isn't one of them.

Lots of people will be disappointed. People's hearts will be broken. But is it really a bad thing? Wouldn't you rather be a bit saddened by what happened than to have the world completely destroyed around you? Again, these people are just playing off of your fears. They're taking advantage of your religious faith-- whatever religion you believe in-- they understand the concept of faith. Let me explain.

People who have faith believe in things. They're taking advantage of your ability to believe in things and when you find out that this is a false belief they have what you have thought about it or have thought about these people "spreading the word" will be shattered.

So you see, 2012 is the biggest hoax of all time, it isn't even a credible conspiracy theory, and, the new world order won't come to power then. But it isn't bad that 2012 won't happen. It's one of the more positive hoaxes, because, in my opinion our imagination can be a dangerous thing at times, and when we let our imagination get out of control we start coming up with false theories like that which are nothing more but an expansion of biblical prophecies which make people so fearful and bring more people to Christianity because they are convinced that they will be saved by it. I'm not saying that certain beliefs about religion aren't true, like for example, I believe that there are beings of a higher order, but, I'm just saying this is just another prophecy that is built off of fear, and that people shouldn't believe in it, and that people who do are setting themselves up for disappointment.

I'm aware that I'll probably be flamed for this post, but, this is my belief... you're letting yourself become manipulated by fear and marketing!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Not to beat the already beat horse to death even more dead than it already is...but isnt this thread doing just that..beating the dead horse "2012 hoax" to death some more when the topic has been beaten to death a hundred fold already?

The 2012 date is merely the end of the Mayan calendar count, nothing more.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Maybe... but I think I would like to enlighten other members who still believe in the 2012 prophecy- the believers as I call them to think from a skeptic's point of view in this case.

I think being a skeptic sometimes isn't bad, like, with end of the world theories, if you're a skeptic, you're going to be a lot more healthier than otherwise.

I'm not a skeptic with all things... but I can't believe the marketing scam that is of 2012. I think it's outrageous. At least with the UFO phenomenon people have proof of things that have happened but with 2012 people have no proof.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
what about the large number of people who think 2012 is the start of a spiritual awakening??

this is not a fearful thought regarding 2012, yet it is as huge as all the world ending stuff such as planet x, pole shifts, ww3, etc

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
what about the large number of people who think 2012 is the start of a spiritual awakening??

this is not a fearful thought regarding 2012, yet it is as huge as all the world ending stuff such as planet x, pole shifts, ww3, etc

So far the stuff I have been reading is very positive! Is it truly the end of the world? is it truly the end of what we know and really a beginning? (I hope so)

Is there any proof? not that I know of.

It seems we won't really know for a few years. What will probably happen is exactly what happened at Y2K..................................... Just another day..................The Mayan calender just ended and they never got a new one started.............

I can only hope something good will happen and save us from ourselves and this mess the sheeple have got us into.....

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

I have yet to see any evidence that more people will awaken come 2012.

Sad, but true. I don't put put too much faith in these prophecies... most of them don't usually end up happening as they were said to.

Some prophecies while they may not be the end of the world ones also try to get your hopes up too much. I've listened to coast to coast and all of these people think that somehow we will enter a new dimension or we will awaken in 2012. I have yet to see proof that we will.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
reply to post by grantbeed

I have yet to see any evidence that more people will awaken come 2012.

Sad, but true. I don't put put too much faith in these prophecies... most of them don't usually end up happening as they were said to.

Some prophecies while they may not be the end of the world ones also try to get your hopes up too much. I've listened to coast to coast and all of these people think that somehow we will enter a new dimension or we will awaken in 2012. I have yet to see proof that we will.

once you get proof.. don't you think the proof would spread like wildfire across the planet and panic and chaos would ensue?
do you think any proof whatsoever will leak because of that?

and if you did get proof... what would be the next thing ..the next controversial topic that you decide to jump upon demanding proof.. proof of which would send the world into even more hellish disorder?

-

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
the logical fallacies in your statement are staggering.

In the first place, you equate '2012ers' with religious nutters, who place their belief in (what you insinuate to be) the book of genesis. By attempting to associate those who disagree with you with the archetypal zealot you have attempted to construct a manipulative argumentative circumstance.

By invoking words like 'cult', 'religion', 'missionaries' and 'convert' you make very clear that you have no interest in any kind of discussion and wish only to spout nonsense, hoping that someone will either goad you into an argument or lose their composure over these irresponsible words.

Thirdly, you insist on an undefined "they". This tactic was thought to have gone out of fashion about the time of the red scare. You also insist that it is an issue of marketing, however those propogating the idea have little to gain financially from the idea. Sure, there's an oddball here or there who makes a buck writing a novel about it, but those that perpetuate it are the jon does here and at other alternative discussion sites who have a tendency to follow their curiosity.

In short, got any proof for these outrageous claims?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
That may be a big hoax, but I vote the biggest hoax of all time is that humans are rational creatures.

Heh. All other hoaxs flow out of that one.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

If 2012 happens then I'll uh... apologize to all of the 2012 believers out there.

The next world ending phenomenon which people claim that would happen if 2012 happens that I will ask for proof of would be the alien invasion one. I think aliens are relatively peaceful except for the mean ones. I don't believe that we will ever fight aliens in a war. But some people like to scare people into believing that we will... I just don't think that we will. I don't really believe in project blue beam either. I also demand proof of that.

But I'm pretty open to a lot of other theories. Just these are a bit out there if ya know what I mean.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

i cant believe theres still people trying to "PROVE" 2012 wrong
its past the point of it being fake, ITS THE APOCALYPSE why are people so stupid, pick up a book
like the bible it clearly states this occuring in the end times
and we are nearing (like days weeks months away) the start of the 7 year
tribulation period (or the last 7 years on earth, UNTIL jesus comes back IN THE CLOUDS) so basically if millions of people just vanish you will know
jesus has came swooped us jesus believers and you have 7 years of quite literally hell on earth if ur lucky to survive past 2012 the big one.
anyways yea 2012 is coming jesus is coming first tho to get us out of here to be foolish and wait till your completely uterly screwed

Proof: 2009- 2010- 2011- (2012 mid point 3.5 years)- 2013- 2014 -2015(4 blood red moons back to back from sept 23 and on

"right after the great tribulation of those days the moon shall become like blood..."

---Hes coming, in the twinkling of an eye, and all those who believe will be caught up with him in the clouds for 7 years (the rapture of the bride of christ) we are the bride we get 7 years in heaven then return with him to
earth on his triumphant return

all those who pierced and blasphemed him will one day realise
may God have mercy upon your souls

THANXS

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chilkoot
the logical fallacies in your statement are staggering.

In the first place, you equate '2012ers' with religious nutters, who place their belief in (what you insinuate to be) the book of genesis. By attempting to associate those who disagree with you with the archetypal zealot you have attempted to construct a manipulative argumentative circumstance.

2012 is like a religion. Think about it the way I think about it. People who believe in 2012 believe in it mindlessly. That takes faith. Sounds familiar? People who believe in religion also use faith to believe in religion. Hence methods that people who control religion are being employed by these 2012 fanatics to get you to believe in it.

By invoking words like 'cult', 'religion', 'missionaries' and 'convert' you make very clear that you have no interest in any kind of discussion and wish only to spout nonsense, hoping that someone will either goad you into an argument or lose their composure over these irresponsible words.

I used to be interested in 2012 theories, then, I met reality. You seem to have no interest in my point of view.

Thirdly, you insist on an undefined "they". This tactic was thought to have gone out of fashion about the time of the red scare. You also insist that it is an issue of marketing, however those propogating the idea have little to gain financially from the idea. Sure, there's an oddball here or there who makes a buck writing a novel about it, but those that perpetuate it are the jon does here and at other alternative discussion sites who have a tendency to follow their curiosity.

Same difference. Replace people who are making money off of it, with the believer crowd, and you'll get the same thing. People who believe in it will be disappointed. My point was that these marketers market the 2012 theory- have endless specials on the history channel and they are the main vessels of the message and they bring it to the masses. When 2012 happens their profits will cease to exist on the 2012 phenom, or, they can start writing about the next end of the world.

In short, got any proof for these outrageous claims?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 321BoomWeDead

The bible at face value shouldn't be taken as proof of anything. Much of what has been said in biblical times were an attempt to control the masses and to convert them to Christianity. I'm not disputing the religion here, but, a lot of that was said to control people.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Is it the biggest hoax of all time? If so, we certainly won't know until then, and it won't do us any good twisting our guts in knots worrying over all the bad possibilites.

I'm keeping an open mind on the subject, and I feel I owe it to my family to be aware of what people expect might happen (whether it's good or bad).

I would never forgive myself if I could have prepared myself and my family in some way for what's coming and then chose not to due to my own personal fear of looking like an idiot.

I personally don't think anything bad will happen, but I could write page after page here on what I think could happen (I've done so elsewhere). I think it will be a turning point looked back upon by future generations with respect and admiration for those that endured it. It will be a milestone in human history, and could mark the period of time where we cease being almost entirely biological and merge with our technology.

[edit on 18/2/09 by Evasius]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

2012 is like a religion. Think about it the way I think about it. People who believe in 2012 believe in it mindlessly. That takes faith. Sounds familiar? People who believe in religion also use faith to believe in religion. Hence methods that people who control religion are being employed by these 2012 fanatics to get you to believe in it.

"people who believe in 2012 believe in it mindlessly"

I think you're taking a rash scathing swath at the entire population of people that have put their research in order under the heading that something will occur in 2012... and bunched them under some of these neurotic channelling-new-ager types

please.. for your own sake.. don't do that.. it's ignorant.

i mean if you do practice that generalization... then imagine what other areas of life you do that with?

i hope you aren't an employer.. otherwise you're sure to see mass stereotype discrimination lawsuits coming your way if you practice that verbally.

-

[edit on 18-2-2009 by prevenge]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   

I'm not saying that they're ignorant people, in general. In fact most people who believe in 2012 are probably decent people... people who believe in these prophecies aren't bad people I'm not saying that. But they let their curiosity get in the way of reality, and, the reality is that not one of these end of the world prophecies have came true. That is just reality here. Also, most prophecies are created to take advantage of other people for political or social gain. That's just the way I see it. All these prophecies swindle people and people are made a fool by them.

[edit on 18-2-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

reply to post by 321BoomWeDead

The bible at face value shouldn't be taken as proof of anything. Much of what has been said in biblical times were an attempt to control the masses and to convert them to Christianity. I'm not disputing the religion here, but, a lot of that was said to control people.

A little off topic, but since you brought it up, see my reply to another thread
here

And 321BoomWeDead I believe may be right in what they said, too. I have done a lot of research on this subject. If you read the Bible, 2012 fits right in with the prophecies....

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by sezsue

That's why I say that it plays off of people's faith... they're just trying to play off of your fear that the world is going to end.

It will end, just, not in the near future... so just enjoy life for the meantime.

Is that too hard to do?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   

reply to post by sezsue

That's why I say that it plays off of people's faith... they're just trying to play off of your fear that the world is going to end.

It will end, just, not in the near future... so just enjoy life for the meantime.

Is that too hard to do?

do me a favor franky..

and list some links that cite 2012 as being "the end of the world" please?

seems the only people saying that 2012 is the end of the world...
are people that SAY that "that's what people are saying"

-

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   

I can do that for you.
abcnews.go.com...
www.2012warning.com...
www.endoftime2012.com...
www.rightpundits.com...

These people just like to play off the fear that people have. That's really what I'm getting at.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by Frankidealist35]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join