It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Sustained' Push Seen in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

www.washingtonpost.com

U.S. Commander Says Troop Level of 60,000 Is Needed for at Least Three to Four Years

The United States will have to keep about 60,000 troops in Afghanistan for at least the next three to four years to combat an increasingly violent insurgency, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan said yesterday, warning that 2009 will be "a tough year."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Oh take me out back and shoot me already this is just getting better by the minute. Canadian forces are do to leave 2011 does anybody think that we are going to get this done in the next 3 to 4 years?

But wait theres more...

The insurgency in Afghanistan is "very resilient" in terms of its numbers and the growing complexity of attacks, in particular against nonmilitary targets such as government facilities, police and supply convoys, he said. It is fueled by funding, weapons, training and suicide bombers supplied from across the eastern border in the tribal areas of Pakistan, he said. The new influx of U.S. forces will be employed in part along Afghanistan's 1,550-mile-long border with Pakistan, concentrated on the most strategic of the hundreds of traditional border crossings used by the populations on either side. "We've got to put them in the right places," he said.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-2-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Ok so now I'm completely confused AGAIN. So are we pushing them into Pakistan or are we loosing ground?

I think I'm getting sea sick with all this back and forth

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
More US soldiers and civilians are going to die, not to mention this country is BEYOND broke. We don't have the money for this stuff anymore. We are falling into their trap. The same thing that happened to the USSR is happening to us. They are breaking us financially with the war on terrorism.

This war will never end.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Afghanistan is just the gift that keeps giving. You know that if the government is doing the estimating, you might as well add more to it. It won't be long before that number hits 100,000 or more.

This war is about to turn nasty and we are going to be left holding the bag.

Any bets that Obama war will cost more than Bush's war in Iraq.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

oh of course there is no oil there and nothing to pay back some bills with HIGH gas prices. We did that trick and it was a flop

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
We are hooked on war as it's been part of our culture for so long. War is not necessarily necessary in our present and it sure isn't going to help matters getting our brave people killed while fighting a brainwashed army hellbent on getting killed in battle so they can have their 72 raisins or whatever. Someone benefits from having the taliban continue to exist. Let's nip it in the bud and be done with it.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
don't forget that now you will have all the opium you want to fund the war on terror in Afghanistan.

There may not be oil, but it is a very handy place to put a few large US bases so as you will have Iran sitting in the middle of Iraq and afghanistan.

This isn't about freedom or terrorism, this is all about setting up strategic bases for the final assault

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

Do you honestly think we are going to really take out Iran?
I have to admit I wouldn't mind seeing that happen but I don't think it needs to happen.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
What's the revolution that comes after the Islamic Revolution? Maybe we need to drop PDAs and get everyone to put up a myspace page. Then making friends will be more important. Super Mario Brothers and bikinis will be popular too I'd imagine. Iran will probably have to trip up in the minds of its people for them to lose confidence in the rule by fist and super special know everything book.

I'm not suggesting we try some sort of analagous method of breaking the brainwash in the Pakistan/Afganistan border region.

[edit on 2/18/09 by stikkinikki]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
That's change you can believe in. And to sustain this type of operation, they'll need a draft.

Because you know that the current army can't do that. And they'll want to expand in Pakistan.

A draft I tell ya.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
That's change you can believe in. And to sustain this type of operation, they'll need a draft.

Because you know that the current army can't do that. And they'll want to expand in Pakistan.

A draft I tell ya.

You can't brainwash me into believing Obama is the antichrist or anything like that. If he turns out to be a douchbag president then the evidence will show. This left right bs tit for tat is so tiresome. Maybe a draft will be called for. I'll bet you the American people get pretty active if that happens. Especially coming on the heels of this economic disaster.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I'm dizzy.
Can we just stop killing each other now?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Do you honestly think we are going to really take out Iran?
I have to admit I wouldn't mind seeing that happen but I don't think it needs to happen.

Only when Israel gets it's chance you will.
guilt by association

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Tell me more bedtime stories. Gloom and doom there is always somebody who foretells the worst give me a break

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   

reply to post by Vitchilo

Tell me more bedtime stories. Gloom and doom there is always somebody who foretells the worst give me a break

there is an old saying that says "prepare for the worst and hope for the best"

when the bread lines get longer and the soup kitchens have to turn away people, when the community can no longer support themselves, the goverment will come to the rescue and ask for something in return.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Man do you walk around with a storm cloud over your head all day?
I don't know, I am able to believe sometimes I'm wrong does that thought ever cross your mind?

[edit on 19-2-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Man do you walk around with a storm cloud over your head all day?
I don't know, I am able to believe sometimes I'm wrong does that thought ever cross your mind?

[edit on 19-2-2009 by SLAYER69]

No
In fact I am a very happy person.

I am wrong on things and I am right on things, I keep an open mind and look at the big picture rather than look at the isolated incidents.

every thing is related to each other and there are no real coincidences.

I will ask you a question
If you where the leader of Iran what would you be thinking now with the US on both sides and you are constantly hearing the propoganda from both the west and Israel saying that your nuclear asperations have to be stopped?
would you feel nervous even if you wern't doing anything wrong?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

OK here is an answer and it doesn’t involve Israel. Since they are in neither location.
We have been in both locations already for the past 7 or so years.
So what’s the big difference we will be focusing on the northeastern side of Afghanistan.

new topics

top topics

join