It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Liquid Water Been Detected On Mars?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Has Liquid Water Been Detected On Mars?

www.universetoday.com

Liquid water may have been discovered by the late Phoenix Mars Lander. This astonishing (and controversial) claim comes from some very intriguing images of the lander's leg shortly after Phoenix landed on the Red Planet last year. The series of black and white images appear to show droplets of water hanging off the robot's bodywork in the shade; it seems possible that the water droplets were splashed from the surface during Phoenix's rocket-assisted landing. Far from being static blobs, they appear to grow, much like water droplets here on Earth as water vapour is absorbed from the atmosphere.

But wait a minute, isn't the Martian atmosphere too thin and too cold to accommodate liquid water? That's where the perchlorate comes in…

If liquid water has been found to exist on the surface of Mars, there will be huge implications for our understanding of the planet. Most tantalizingly, liquid water, on or near the planet's surface, could aid the survival of microbial life, reinvigorating the search for extraterrestrial life on out interplanetary neighbour. But on a planet where the atmospheric pressure is 100 times less than on Earth, and temperatures reached a maximum of -20° Celcius during the Phoenix mission, why isn't this "liquid water" candidate frozen?
(visit the link for the full news article)

Here you go Another Article:
Antifreeze chemicals found on Mars could indicate signs of life

[edit on 18-2-2009 by rattan1]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Sorry if this article has been discussed. We are getting closer and closer to finding life on Mars. There were rumors previously that NASA was going to announce that they found life on Mars. For many years now they have been portraying Mars as inhabitable… won’t be long now for them to say they were wrong. I think we are being conditioned for the news… recently scientist admit that there are thousands of planet in our galaxy capable of sustaining life.

www.universetoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Bit by bit its coming together. Why don’t they just get on with it and admit that there is life on mars? I think we have been conditioned enough and more people are ready to accept the fact that life exist elsewhere besides earth.

Soon they will come and say that we found life in microbial state and then I wonder how long we will have to wait till they admit life exist elsewhere in more advance state?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Liquid water, on the surface.....where the Lander is?

Let's see....the Phoenix lander died a few years ago.

Right now, we have Pathfinder and Sojourner.....and they will die soon.

It is pretty well known that liquid water cannot exist on the surface of Mars....not enough atmospheric pressure to allow liquid water to exist.

However....under the surface.....liquid water COULD exist, in theory.

Here on Earth, there are organisms that defy belief. They THRIVE in water that is nearly 100 degrees Celsius (about 80) and full of poisons such as arsenic.....yet, life stll can thrive.

This life is not, of course, an intelligent biped that sits at a computer and types....but such conditions....80 degrees C, witrh arsenic....would KILL a Human in minutes! However, there are still lifeforms that live in these conditions.

Who knows? In a Billion years, that 'goo' might evolve into a new lifeform to dominate the Earth. It's how WE got started.....

But, Mars....there is another wierd thing about Mars....some satellite photos have shown...and this is recent...possible evidence of water flows ON THE SURFACE!!

This is important....the images shown have depicted what, on Earth, would be flows of water....based on our understanding and knowledge of living on Earth....yet, the indications of the atmospheric pressure on Mars precludes the existence of liquid water....puzzling, isn't it?

THIS is why science is so interesting.....trying to find the answers, as opposed to thinking one 'knows' the answers.....

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

You are right water cannot exist in liquid state on Mars. I strongly believe that they have not told us everything they know about Mars or their theories are just theories and soon we will find that there may be something on mars that allows for liquid water. Just bellow the OP article there is a link to another one antifreeze chemical found on mars.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by biomehanika

I am looking forward to all that our robotic probes might reveal.

Here's a problem, though, with manned events to Mars.

Mars has no magnetic field. Any Human, without sufficient protection, will be subject to radiation that, over time, could do harm.

ONE idea is to land Humans near one of Mars' poles. Avoids the Solar Bursts that may occur....and, since it's Mars, best place to find liquid water anyway.

Odd that Mars' axis is tilted, similar to Earth's. Odd, again that Mars rotates on its axis at just about 24 hours....*(just a few minutes more, but pretty close)*

Odd, again, that the orbit of Mars is nearly exactly twice the orbit of hte Earth.

I love Mars!!! The gravity is about one-third of the Earth's.....I'd weigh less thaqn I weigh now....I want to live there!!!!

BUT....please, bring supplies, since I doubt we can "live off of the land", yet. I mean....bring air and food, and then count me in!!!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Hi, inquisitive persons.

I did not know Pathfinder and Sojourner were still alive ?????????

I MY books, ***Spirit and Opportunity*** ARE ALIVE, and
on days 1809 and 1770 ! ! ! and still making TRAILS !

( They where guaranted for 90 days. Unbelievable ! )

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

Blue skies.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

intriguing images of the lander's leg shortly after Phoenix landed on the Red Planet last year

So they had this picture since last year and it is now that they come up with it. I am more than ever convinced that they are hiding a lot of things from us and they cannot be trusted.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Well considering the photos of lakes and forrests on Mars, and the discussion of what appears Nasa tampering of photos on marsanomalyresearch.com I can certianly see how liquid water is there, and has been known to be there for ages, along with atmosphere.

This trickle of info is a start I suppose....

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Acutally the Phoenix probe did in fact dig into some ice, NASA dubbed the trench as "upper cupboard". The cameras recorded this ice melted into liquid water, but quickly evaporated due to the low atmospheric pressures.

The Phoenix claw repeated this procedure several times.

Independant Article

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 18-2-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by C-JEAN

OOPS!!! caught me!!! Too many threads, and my brain gets scrambled....OK, got the names of the Landers wrong....still, my post? I keep it as STET.Hello

EFIT...spelling....edit again....is it just me, or does eveyone who learnd how to type keep hitting the wrong keys??? My fingers think I'm typing 'the'....and I get 'teh'!!!!

Hello, left Brain!!!! Wake up!!!

So, two guys walk into a bar...............

[edit on 2/18/0909 by weedwhacker]

top topics

join