It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to the DVD being enough to install a game?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
After waiting months for it to finally come out, I just bought the store copy Collector's Edition of Dawn of War 2.

I put the disc in my PC and hit install... all goes well.

Then the stupid program Steam opens up and takes over the install... that's kind of OK...

Then Steam decides to tell me it's servers are too busy to install my game.

WHAT?

I have to goddamn DVD in the drive... WITH ALL THE FILES ON IT... and It won't let me install because the servers are too busy to hijack my install at this time.

This is ridiculous. And I can't return the game because It is a PC game with a CD Key.

It has been 2 hours now of hitting the install button over and over again and the servers are still 'too busy'.

I just want to copy the ****ing files of my ****ing DVD and play the game... but no.

Go to hell Steam.

UPDATE;

Finally got through to the support phonenumber ($3 a minute :S). Apparently I tried to install the game just as America's servers went live... so Americans get preference to bandwidth for their millions of customers trying to install it at the same time.

I was told to wait until early in the morning here in Aus to try again when people in America are going back to bed.

Great help there support. Really. Top notch stuff. :bnghd:

[edit on 18-2-2009 by fooffstarr]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
This is one of the reasons that I hate steam. They're like EA, trying to gain a monopoly so that every one has to use their service. And they wonder why so many people pirate their games (I'm not guilty, my computer sucks, and even if I had a good computer, I'm against stealing games).
Steam and
EA

[edit on 18-2-2009 by Slash]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Another hour or so has passed and still no change.

Get the same error every time I try to install.

Steam have not replied to my complaint email.

THQ's phone lines are all jammed, from I'm assuming other DVD copy people like me who stupidly assumed we'd be able to install a game we paid for.

I really wish I had the money to do something about it legally... just because I hate them so much.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Never had this happen before...then again the most recent game I bought was pong

But that would be highly irritating. I think it's the weak attempts to try and do everything online now. Hope this resolves soon for you

-Kyo

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Well, in all my nerd power last night, I developed a macro that would get my mouse to continually attempt the install for me while I was in bed.

I got up this morning and it is done... and my mouse was still clicking away

So at least I slept through all the drama that probably happened.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Yeah, Steam is a pile of turd. When I bought Portal it had to install Steam, which I have to load to play the game. Why? Other games I have don't require me to add another programme to my computer to play them.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
It is unacceptable. You are buying a game for 50 Euros and more and then? Internet access? Additional account. Continuous checks - online verifications if your copy is legal.

You can be happy that you are allowed to touch the CD/DVD.

We are NOT a criminals. We are customers.

... but hey, who needs computer games? PlanetX is just around the corner and the Annunaki will show up.

Greetings

PS: What did people do without computers?

[edit on 24-2-2009 by TheWriter]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
hmmm, that sucks, and while I agree that EA are RUINING games by buying up developers like DICE and making them develop crap games *have you seen Battlefield 1943?? GRRRRR makes me so angry), I have to disagree about Steam.

I like Steam, I've personally never had a problem with it. It keeps all my games updated without me having to do anything and also has the friends list which you can use for all your games so finding whos playing what and joining them is real easy. And as if that isn't enough they do pretty cracking sales every now and then, did you see a couple weeks back left 4 dead was half price! Bargin! what a game!

On another note, is DoW II any good??? loved the first one.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Well, at least Relic and THQ support their games.

There has been 3 patches since the game was released, and they have fixed nearly all install and program issues.

Steam has also fixed their download servers so that it will automatically move to a less congested location if the one you are trying is busy.

Oh btw, I know all about how lame Battlefield1943 looks. 3 maps? Infinite ammo? Fail.

And yes, DOW II is pretty awesome. Single player is one of those story-driven games, like COD 4, that will stick in your mind for years to come.

Multiplayer, for me anyway, leaves a lot to be desired. There is only like 6 maps and their design is pretty unbalanced.

new topics

top topics

join