It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark side of the moon.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by patwa
Our moon is the only satellite in our solar ring (solar system) which never shows it's far side to our planet (Earth); does anyone know why this is?

Hiya, you can either read the thread for the answer or have a look here at tidal locking.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Check out the anim below. Only the green/blue sphere is 'tidal locked' like the Moon, showing only one face to the Earth. Place the sun anywhere and you'll notice that both faces of the Moon get equal sunlight. Some use the term 'dark side' of the Moon which is incorrect. In other words, there is NO 'dark side' (except in Star Wars!!
)

Cheers!

en.wikipedia.org...:Tidal_lock.gif

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

That's right. The moon get's two weeks of day and two weeks of night, if I remember rightly, and we see about 60% of it's surface from here on Earth.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by cropmuncher

Also, the Moon makes one revolution on its axis in almost exactly the same amount of time it takes to make one revolution around the Earth. This is why we never see the "dark" side of the Moon.

Have i just misinterprated this?

tinwiki.org...

Yes you have misinterpreted that as it say "dark" side of the moon in " " signs

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
"Oh, great ... now watch; the next thread posted will be a crackpot saying, "NWO is messing with the Moon's rotation and orbit in a solar system conspiracy."
LMAO!! "

i thought the conspiracy was that the moon is hollow - didnt it ring like a bell in seismic tests done there? and that its inhabited and that it recently arrived in our solar system around 13,000 BC... from what you hear....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join