It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark side of the moon.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Erasure.

Yeah good point when are those Japanese images going to be released?
The world demands action!
There I even stomped my foot as I type that!
I wont do the holding my breath thing last time I passed out and nobody noticed

I sent an email to them about 6 months ago asking when they would release all the images for the public to see. They replied that they were only giving access to their scientists to study first and would begin releasing the full hi-def images of the far side of the moon in March/April 2009. I can only hope that if there is something interesting to see that it is not covered up. I guess we will see. I really want to see what that object is.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasure.

I sent an email to them about 6 months ago asking when they would release all the images for the public to see. They replied that they were only giving access to their scientists to study first and would begin releasing the full hi-def images of the far side of the moon in March/April 2009. I can only hope that if there is something interesting to see that it is not covered up. I guess we will see. I really want to see what that object is.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The object was also photographed by Apollo 17 and has been the core of several hoax tales concerning an Apollo 20 and 21 supposedly sent to investigate the object. To me it looks artificial but I wouldn't bet on anyone releasing the truth just yet.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

Originally posted by GobbledokTChipeater
reply to post by cropmuncher

While the whole of the moon sees sun at some point in its cycle, the earth only ever sees one side of the moon.

So while there isn't actually a 'dark' side, there is a side that we never see from earth.

no that's wrong.. there's actually an area of the moon's surface in the shape of an orange slice.. from pole to pole on the reverse.. that NEVER gets direct sunlight..
they've just released images of it.

I don't get what your saying...I do agree that there are in fact areas near each pole that gets no sunlight due to their locations at the poles and becuase of craters (the sun will be too low in the sky to shine into the bottom of a crater at the poles).

However, the Moon faces the Sun and makes a complete rotation in 27 days -- so every part of the Moon (except these polar craters) will be exposed to sunlight sometime during that 27-day cycle.

There is no "pole-to-pole slice" that gets no sunlight.

[edit on 2/19/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Orbital mechanics require that an object must be accelerated into higher orbit. To lower the orbit, the object is decelerated. Pretty obvious.

However, in the case of the moon, it is much like ice skating. As a skater opens her arms, she decelerates. Put the moon in her hand. Her deceleration is caused by the object moving further away. However, the friction of tidal forces moving around the earth faster than the moon makes the moon accelerate. This acceleration/deceleration combination restricts motion of the moon away from the earth to approximately 1 inch per year.

That being said, if the moon was a captive object for the past 1 billion years, it's orbit would be 15000 miles closer. In 4.5 billion, make that 71000 miles closer. Talk about a harvest moon. The tidal forces would have increased dramatically, some estimating that waves would have been 200 ft high. Things must have been really stirred up back then.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott
That being said, if the moon was a captive object for the past 1 billion years, it's orbit would be 15000 miles closer. In 4.5 billion, make that 71000 miles closer. Talk about a harvest moon. The tidal forces would have increased dramatically, some estimating that waves would have been 200 ft high. Things must have been really stirred up back then.

That's very interesting information, can you provide a link? I had a quick look but didn't turn up anything.

This article offers ideas for why the Moon's orbit is so elliptical...

"I asked myself—was the orbit of the moon early on more circular than now, or was it just like now, or more eccentric?" Cuk said. His model, suggests that Venus and Jupiter have elongated our moon's orbit slightly through a phenomenon called gravitational resonance.

"Resonance can sometimes come across as a spooky action at a distance," Cuk told SPACE.com. "It's just like a diva singing and at some frequency the glasses start breaking because her voice gets into a resonance with the vibrations of the glass."

But instead of sound waves, Venus and Jupiter affected the moon via their gravities, which exerted a strong tug on the moon at some time in our solar system's past when the two planets' orbital periods were aligned with the moon's orbit.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
All I can offer as to the reason why the " dark " side of the moon is more cratered is this:
When an object enters the area that our planet and the moon occupy, they sometimes enter the gravity well of our planet, and will be drawn toward the earth, since its gravity is stronger than the moons. That means that if an object is traveling toward the earth, and the moon is behind the earth, then the object will hit our atmosphere and burn up or hit the planet, either that , or the pull of earth will alter its course and yank it away from the moon on the way past us. If the object approaches earth from an angle which puts the moon between us and the object, then it impacts the moon. Now OBVIOUSLY the earth face of the moon does get the odd impact, but because of its orientation the darkside has a mathematicaly higher probability of impact.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cropmuncher

Also, the Moon makes one revolution on its axis in almost exactly the same amount of time it takes to make one revolution around the Earth. This is why we never see the "dark" side of the Moon.

Have i just misinterprated this?

tinwiki.org...
I have always found this weird even before getting into the whole ufo thingie.

I wonder if this would make the moon artificial if some sort of technology keeps the dark side hidden? HMMMMmmmmmm?

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jickler

No.
It is not weird. It is a result of tidal effects. Most of the moons in the solar system display the same behavior. It is a phenomenon called tidal locking.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

If you are going to launch an artificial sputnik, then it is advisable to make it hollow. At the same time it would be naive to imagine that anyone capable of such a tremendous space project would be satisfied simply with some kind of giant empty trunk hurled into a near-Earth trajectory.

It is more likely that what we have here is a very ancient spaceship, the interior of which was filled with fuel for the engines, materials and appliances for repair work, navigation, instruments, observation equipment and all manner of machinery... in other words, everything necessary to enable this "caravelle of the Universe" to serve as a kind of Noah's Ark of intelligence, perhaps even as the home of a whole civilisation envisaging a prolonged (thousands of millions of years) existence and long wanderings through space (thousands of millions of miles).
Source...ahem..

Or perhaps this is a more likely answer? The Moon has been sailed here to promote discussion amongst those with the courage too see beneath established science

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

The authors behind this article (Mikhail Vasin and Alexander Shcherbakov) said this near the end of the page;

We have put forward in this article only a few of the reasons--unfortunately the evidence is so far only circumstantial--for our hypothesis, which at first glance may appear to be crazy.

A similar "crazy" idea was put forward in 1959 by Professor Iosif Shklovsky, an eminent scientist, in relation to the "moons" circling around Mars. After carefully weighing up the evidence he concludes that they are both hollow and therefore artificial satellites.

www.theforbiddenknowledge.com...

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong here, but the authors were admittedly speculating on a hypothesis. Minimal evidence, but they never claimed it as fact. There was no need to mock them with smiley emoticons.

[edit on 23/2/09 by Majorion]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majorion
reply to post by Kandinsky

A similar "crazy" idea was put forward in 1959 by Professor Iosif Shklovsky, an eminent scientist, in relation to the "moons" circling around Mars. After carefully weighing up the evidence he concludes that they are both hollow and therefore artificial satellites.

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong here, but the authors were admittedly speculating on a hypothesis. Minimal evidence, but they never claimed it as fact. There was no need to mock them with smiley emoticons.

A little humor Majorian

Professor Shklovsky wasn't familiar with D-type asteroids. They are sizable masses composing carbon, silicates and probably water ice. In essence they are like huge masses of rubble or builders hardcore. Not being solid rock they have less mass and are less reflective for telescopic investigations.

Phobos and Deimos are considered similar to d-type asteroids. The lack of density gave rise to speculation that they are hollow. There is still a great deal to learn about them. Here's one of the best images of Phobos...

Notice the crater 'Stickney'? I'd suggest that the depth of the crater supports the theory that Phobos is a loosely compacted rubble. I'm reminded of treading on fresh concrete when I look at the crater. It would also contradict the idea of it being 'artificial' as that would be a serious hull breach. Phobos does have a lot of questions to answer. Notice the parallel striations? Questions?!

Of course, none of this is conclusive, on the balance of evidence they are more likely to be d-type bodies than artificial sentinels. Moons are scattered throughout our Solar System and have been discovered (extrasolar moons/ exomoon) around exoplanets. They are in no way anomalous.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Our Moon's Forbidden History

We live in interesting times. We all share a common interest in our countries and our world. We show a
temporary interest in space as new and unseen information and discoveries are shared, then that interest is
incorporated into day to day survival. I would like to share with you information regarding the Moon and
our Solar System. This information was shared with me by Andromedan Cosmonauts.
It is my hope that I can only add to the information and hidden revelations. As I have been reminded by
my friends from Andromeda, we all have a piece of the puzzle. I offer this perspective as a piece of that
puzzle. It is not my wish to detract or prove anyone incorrect. I myself have taken this information with the
understanding that it is just a small part of a larger drama playing itself out in our backyard and on our
home, Earth. This information was given over a period of contacts, both physical and telepathic. The
following is the Andromedan perspective of our moon.
Our Moon has an atmosphere comparable in many places to that of Earth. In many of the large craters on
the visible and the hidden side, the atmosphere is said to be denser than sea level on Earth. Our Moon has
a small egress at its north pole, and the crust is thinly shelled in places. It is only twenty-one miles thick in
some places, and thirty-five miles in others.
We've been told that our moon is dry. A million times dryer than the Gobi Desert. According to the
Andromedans it all depends on where you are. They say the hidden side has many large underground
lakes, huge in size. The irrigation and terra forming is occurring on the hidden side on the surface, but is
occurring underground on the visible side to hide the agenda. Apollo 15 discovered and took pictures of
water vapor clouds that appeared from the hidden side. This would be most odd and unusual if the moon
really didn't have much of an atmosphere, as we've been told. Because clouds would be impossible.
The age of the Moon soil is 6.2 billion years old, and has compound and chemicals not found on Earth. In
fact, there are many chemical compounds that were discovered, but withheld from the public. There are
many more we've yet to discover because our science is not advanced enough yet. The lunar soil did not
come from the rock that makes up its mountains and craters. This is known to some lunar scientists.
However, its not spoken about, but in whispers. So, where did the soil come from?
The Andromedans say the soil and many of the rocks come from Ursa Minor. The location is a solar system
named in the Orion tongue "CHOWTA". This is a binary sun system. We have many similarities in our
system as well. "CHOWTA" is a very large system, holding 21 planets and 47 moons. Our moon is said to
have been made around the 17th planet in this system.
Portions of the moons crust is radioactive. Apollo 15 discovered this. Especially near the Apennine
mountains. Why were the readings so hot? The Andromedans have said it's because some nuclear waste
was brought up there to be reused as a fuel supply for the spacecraft that the world government has built.
However, many of the ships that use nuclear fuel are obsolete now. So, how was the moon brought here? It
was, I'm told by the Andromedans, put into the tail of an asteroid which brought it into our solar system.
This same asteroid circles our part of the galaxy every 25,156 Earth years. Andromedans have said that our
moon has been inhabited periodically in it's history for 1.8 million Earth years.
The Moon is hollow. It contains huge underground facilities built by E.T.'s and later humans from Earth.
There are seven openings into the Moon's crust, and the underground bases. Conservative scientists have
wondered why so many craters seem so shallow, despite their size. The Andromedans say, it's because
much of the surface was built on top of a metallic shell of a circular space crest; or " A War Carrier ", as the
Andromedans describe it. An example of a shallow, but large crater would be the crater Gagarin. This crater
is roughly 185 miles across, but is only 4.5 to 5 miles deep. Based on the impact and size across the
craters welt on the surface, the depth should be 4 to 6 times that deep. In fact, all the craters are the
same; they are too shallow. They defy known science.
Many of the craters have been artificially created. The Andromedans have said that many of the craters on
the far side were in fact domed cities at one time and that they were destroyed during a war that goes back
113,000 yrs. Many were used as domed cities and other larger craters were used as space craft hangers
capable of capable of housing 200 craft.
The surface bases consisted of 9 domed cities which would be equal to a small city. Small lakes or ponds
were scattered along the surface. The remains of these domed structures were discovered by NSA
astronauts, Russian astronauts, and the NASA Apollo astronauts. The true military complex of the moon is
now underground. Entrances to this alien and Human base is at both poles, the Taurus Mountains, Jules
Verne crater on the far side and Archimedes. These are the original entrances. The black government has
created more openings and is currently expanding the underground complex. The expansion is for the

operation of private scientific and military agendas for the World Order. Andromedans also state that it was
a military outpost, until it was needed in our part of the galaxy to end a rebellion that was taking place. The
personnel consisted of Reptilian, half-human/half-reptilian and those who would be known as humans.
Many of the original structures on the surface of the moon were destroyed during what the Andromedans
refer to as the "Black League Conflict". This was a battle fought by humans of different systems that formed
a secret alliance, and fought the tyranny of the Orion Empire. Continuous destruction occurred on one side
of the moon as it was being transported here by space debris. The side that suffered the heaviest
destruction is the visible side we see. The destruction was caused by particle beam weapons when our
Moon was located in the orbit of Maldek, now a destroyed planet. Our present Moon was one of two moons,
that orbited it. The second moon, I'm told, is the moon Phobos. It also has ruins on it, as does Venus which
was a moon of Uranus.

www.exopolitics.org...

[edit on 23-2-2009 by Reevster]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
(continued)

I would like at this point to share some old history or events that the Andromedans say is important. I have
not been able to find any information about these events, however, because the Andromedans specifically
brought it up, I am going to share it. In 1953 Earth satellites and radar showed large objects coming
towards Earth. These were Gray motherships. These time-traveling spacecraft were the same craft seen
near Venus in 1787, 1788, and 1789. In the year 1645 a large moon seen near Venus, was seen coming
and going four times. This was a mothership from Sirius B. In November of 1844, the large craft seen
illuminating part of Mars was an Orion mothership. The same craft illuminated Mercury in 1799. The same
craft, which is spherical, crossed the Sun on March 26, 1859.
On the eclipse of July 29, 1878, the two large glowing bodies seen between Mercury and Venus, were
Pleaidian and Andromedan motherships, moving through our part of the galaxy.
In 1783 and 1787, the large bright lights that were seen on the moon were not volcanoes. They were
Pleaidian motherships the creation of a self-rule government. The first on Earth; America. In the month of
February, in the year 1894, the object photographed striking a huge black object was a carrier craft from
Alpha Draconis. On April 4, 1892, the craft that crossed the surface of the moon was not a large bird, it was
a craft that looked like it had wings. It was a craft from Alpha Draconis. This same ship was last in this
solar system on January 27, 1912.
Ladies and Gentlemen, this time in which we now live is and will be known in our future as the end of the
innocence. We, as a planetary race, must commit ourselves to the idea that truth must survive. We have
major challenges to face, and what ever is the truth, we must do all that is necessary to stick together. We
have been torn and tattered, we have been betrayed. But please, let's not give up on each other. We are
capable of being heroes. We can save the world, and our freedom. We must believe in each other, and in
ourselves.

www.exopolitics.org...

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Yep. The process known as tidal locking has caused the Moon's rate of rotation to match the rate of its revolution around the Earth. The result is that there is a side of the Moon which is never seen on Earth.

You know, I always wondered about that... What are the odds of that exact synchronization so that a certain part is always invisible from Earth? Is that a process which can be caught in a model which can be applied to other planets with moons?

There is something strange about its orbit.

13. Weird Orbit:

Our moon does not rotate on its axis. We only ever see one side of the moon. There is what is known as the "dark side of the moon" that we have never seen from Earth. It is the only moon in the solar system that has a stationary, near-perfect circular orbit. Stranger still, the moon’s centre of mass is about 6000 feet closer to the Earth than its geometric centre (which should cause wobbling), but the moon’s bulge is on the far side of the moon, away from the Earth. "Something or someone" had to put the moon in orbit with its precise altitude, course, and speed.

Strance Moon Facts

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Reevster

The text you quoted above offers dates that are well outside those supported by meteorites, moon samples and stellar evolution. Below are the currently accepted dates...

Astronomers think this collision happened about 4.53 billion years ago, about 30-50 million years after the rest of the Solar System formed. This was relatively soon after the formation of the Solar System, and well before the time when life formed on Earth.

Our planet was probably still mostly a molten ball of rock, and the impact of the Moon did little to change that. This is the dominant theory of how the Moon formed, but there are others. It's possible that the Moon was captured by the Earth's gravity, or it just formed in place around the Earth after the formation of the Solar System.
Universe Today

The Moon is unlikely to be older than the Solar System it's a part of. The author of that tract might be correct and dates are always subject to change. Nevertheless, science as we understand it today offers a more substantiated account of the Moon and the Solar System

edited for clarity I hope

[edit on 23-2-2009 by Kandinsky]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Nice picture of the moon being formed.... hmmm who witnessed that I wounder?

Colliers story could be just as plusiable as anything Nasa released or other therories from others that deal with this subject.

I am not saying I belive one or the other but since I didnt see it with my own 2 eyes I wont dismiss anything at this point, seeing how the powers that be seem to enjoy pulling the wool over our eyes time and time again.

He says it wasnt formed ( built ) here but brought here so its "soil" is older then the earth as I understand.

"The age of the Moon soil is 6.2 billion years old, and has compound and chemicals not found on Earth. In
fact, there are many chemical compounds that were discovered, but withheld from the public. There are
many more we've yet to discover because our science is not advanced enough yet. The lunar soil did not
come from the rock that makes up its mountains and craters. This is known to some lunar scientists.
However, its not spoken about, but in whispers. So, where did the soil come from?
The Andromedans say the soil and many of the rocks come from Ursa Minor. The location is a solar system
named in the Orion tongue "CHOWTA". This is a binary sun system. We have many similarities in our
system as well. "CHOWTA" is a very large system, holding 21 planets and 47 moons. Our moon is said to
have been made around the 17th planet in this system."

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoonMine

13. Weird Orbit:

Our moon does not rotate on its axis. We only ever see one side of the moon. There is what is known as the "dark side of the moon" that we have never seen from Earth. It is the only moon in the solar system that has a stationary, near-perfect circular orbit. Stranger still, the moon’s centre of mass is about 6000 feet closer to the Earth than its geometric centre (which should cause wobbling), but the moon’s bulge is on the far side of the moon, away from the Earth. "Something or someone" had to put the moon in orbit with its precise altitude, course, and speed.

Strance Moon Facts

I suggest you find another source.

1) The moon does rotate on its axis, about once every 27 days. If it didn't, we would be able to see its entire surface over time.

2) I don't know what a "stationary" orbit is. The moon is not in geostationary orbit, that would mean it is always over the same spot on Earth. If they think they are somehow referring to always showing the same face they are wrong. The great majority of other significant moons in the Solar System are tidally locked with their planet.

3) Many other moons have nearly circular orbits. The Moon's orbit is actually quite a bit more eccentric than others.
Moon (Luna) = 0.0549
Ganymede = .0011
Calisto = .0074
Europa = .0094
Io = .0041
Iapetus = .0283
Titan = .0292

4) The Moon's center of mass is slightly "off-center" (.06%) but there is no reason for that to produce a "wobble". Since the source claims the Moon doesn't rotate on its axis, what is supposed to wobble anyway?

5) The equatorial bulge on the far side of the Moon is believed to have formed 4 billion years ago, shortly after the Moon's formation. It is thought that the orbit of the Moon was much more eccentric that it currently is and that it was rotation much more rapidly. The bulge was caused by tidal forces acting on the still molten body.

[edit on 2/23/2009 by Phage]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
I suggest you find another source.

And by using you as a source I am never disappointed...

2) I don't know what a "stationary" orbit is. The moon is not in geostationary orbit, that would mean it is always over the same spot on Earth.

I am fairly sure that the author meant that the Moon has an orbit that remains practically the same. A bit confusion I admit.

4) The Moon's center of mass is slightly "off-center" (.06%) but there is no reason for that to produce a "wobble". Since the source claims the Moon doesn't rotate on its axis, what is supposed to wobble anyway?

That must be a trick question. No you are right, there is nothing which against Luna can wobble so it doesn´t. Now if you were to insert a large tube along its rotational axis it would wobble in relation to that tube.

5) The equatorial bulge on the far side of the Moon is believed to have formed 4 billion years ago, shortly after the Moon's formation. It is thought that the orbit of the Moon was much more eccentric that it currently is and that it was rotation much more rapidly. The bulge was caused by tidal forces acting on the still molten body.

I really don´t know. The origins of the Moon seem still unclear. Wasn´t the Moon determined to be older than our Solar system itself?

If you have some generally accepted scientific study to point to with regards to the origins of the Moon and the formation of the equatorial bulge I would be grateful, up ´till now I have never found such a report...

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MoonMine

physicsworld.com...

No, there is no indication that the Moon is older than the Solar System. "Generally accepted" is a trick term but the Giant Collision theory of the Moon's origin does do a better job of accounting for the evidence than the others.

There is a wealth of material, from highly technical to putting it in layman's terms, concerning the Giant Collision.

[edit on 2/23/2009 by Phage]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Our moon is the only satellite in our solar ring (solar system) which never shows it's far side to our planet (Earth); does anyone know why this is?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join