It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark side of the moon.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
A while ago i asked the question on another site about what could possibly be on the dark side of the moon ie- alien bases etc.

I was then informed that their is no permanent dark side of the moon as it spins throughout the month.
However i have just read on tinwkik that there is a dark side that we never see, so what is true?

Also, the Moon makes one revolution on its axis in almost exactly the same amount of time it takes to make one revolution around the Earth. This is why we never see the "dark" side of the Moon.

Have i just misinterprated this?

tinwiki.org...

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
If it take ''almost'' the same time, it mean it's not taking the same time. So the dark side of the moon is slowly showing up his face to the earth. It's just really slow.

[edit on 18-2-2009 by Jigore]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by cropmuncher

While the whole of the moon sees sun at some point in its cycle, the earth only ever sees one side of the moon.

So while there isn't actually a 'dark' side, there is a side that we never see from earth.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
new moon= dark side of the moon. We just dont see it reflected because the sun is behind the moon, whereas when we see the full moon the sun is reflecting off the side we do see. the side during the new moon is always the same side, therefore we don't ever really see it. i think. if im wrong, someone please correct me as thats how i always thought it was.

love and peace

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by cropmuncher

Our schools have been failing kids for years. Here is just ANOTHER proof of that fact.....

I'm SO glad I don't have kids.....

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by M157yD4wn

New moon is the same side of the moon that you can see during a full moon. Because of the way the moon rotates around the earth the same side of the moon is always pointed towards earth during all phases.

The dark side is actually known as the far side of the moon and is permanently turned away from the earth. It was not seen by humans until the Apollo missions in the 1960s.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by cropmuncher
However i have just read on tinwkik that there is a dark side that we never see, so what is true?

I share your confusion. I've been told both sides of this issue as well. Not sure which to believe.

Either Wiki is providing false information -as usual
Or they're right, and there's a part of the moon we don't see.

Regarding alien bases; IMO there's definitely a human base up there, most likely a military base, but not sure about the alien ones. There's some convincing evidence out there of anomalies on the moon and mars. So go look for it

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Yep. The process known as tidal locking has caused the Moon's rate of rotation to match the rate of its revolution around the Earth. The result is that there is a side of the Moon which is never seen on Earth. Here's what it looks like (some of it anyway):

[edit on 2/18/2009 by Phage]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Isnt it interesting, that the one side we dont see from the Earth is so heavily crater pitted...like other moons of the larger gas giant planets and even on Mars, heavily pitted on one side.

Any insight as to why that is....anyone?

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 18-2-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I think we have Pink Floyd and their amazing "Dark Side of the Moon" album to thank for that term.

So, now that the question has been answered, and now that there is a side of the Moon that we never see here on Earth, it begs the question...

is there anything over there?

IF extraterrestrials are visiting Earth, it makes sense that they would have an outpost from which to operate. Kind of like our plans for space stations, even Moon bases. Makes perfect sense to me that there is/are alien bases on the far side of the moon. If we are being visited by aliens, that is.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

The same tidal effects that locked the Moon's rotation probably caused the near side to remain volcanically active longer than the far side. The (relatively) more recent activity filled in the more ancient craters on the near side but not the far side.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Majorion

i would love a link if you know of any! then i'd know where to start looking deeper

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well thats a nice theory for the Moon, how about Mars, and the other moons around Jupiter, Saturn? Some of those are not tidal locked to their parent planet.

But lets say it is due to the tidal lock that "smoothed" out the longer volcanic activity, we should be seeing evidence of that in itself...I mean even filling in craters with lava...which we need to find the volcano points and then determine where those lava flows would go and which craters would fill in, we should see some evidence of this lava filler shouldnt we? What would smooth that surface so much to be like it was sanded down with a huge piece of sandpaper compared to the other side's roughness and depth of those craters?

Even just looking at the image you provided, which is a very cool image btw, it can be clearly seen that the far side has more craters than the side we do see.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 18-2-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
GobbledokTChipeater is correct and spot on.
There is a portion of the moon that is never viewable from earth. Commonly referred to as the "far side" of the moon.
I guess somehow (Maybe in our contemporary film or literature?) the two became synonymous.
That rotation thing does kind of make you think, if it's rotating, it doesn't matter how slow, I should be able to see the whole thing at some point, right?

No, because it's rotation and orbit are virtually in sync.
Take a ...an apple (Or, whatever is handy). Put it in the center of the table. That's earth. Now a grape and put it far enough away so you can "orbit" it around your earth.
Now, hold the grape and complete an orbit ... but keep the same side facing the earth.
Now do the same thing WITHOUT making the effort maintain a side facing earth.
Almost immediately a new side is exposed to center of its orbit (Earth)

Now, did the grape make a revolution in the first experiment? Yes. its axis is spinning in the same direction as its orbit.

Does that make it easier to "see" it? Or, are you more lost than ever? Where's GPS when you need it!

It's a little weird how it does that though, isn't it? I mean, what are the odds that its spin would match its orbit? Conspiracy? lol
Oh, great ... now watch; the next thread posted will be a crackpot saying, "NWO is messing with the Moon's rotation and orbit in a solar system conspiracy."
LMAO!!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by The Cyfre

I would like to see what the cigar shaped object is that Apollo 15 took photos of. The Japanese should be releasing their hi-def images of the far side of the moon soon so there should be a good shot of it.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

A while ago i asked the question on another site about what could possibly be on the dark side of the moon

My guess? Craters and lots and lots of regolith.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
It's artificial. Made by "them" to transport from one galaxy to this one.

It's older than the Earth. It has artifacts, ruins, old and new bases all over it and inside it - particularity the 'far side'.

It is hollow. It was made by heating a large meteor/asteroid and blowing it like a glass blower.

I don't have one cent of proof other than what I have read, watched and studied. I don't care if anyone believes this either. But I will listen to more information on the craft if anyone wants to talk about it. Just ignore the debunkers and skeptics and we'll all get along fine.

wZn

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
reply to post by Phage

Well thats a nice theory for the Moon, how about Mars, and the other moons around Jupiter, Saturn? Some of those are not tidal locked to their parent planet.
Do they demonstrate an uneven distribution of cratering from one hemisphere to another?

But lets say it is due to the tidal lock that "smoothed" out the longer volcanic activity, we should be seeing evidence of that in itself...I mean even filling in craters with lava...which we need to find the volcano points and then determine where those lava flows would go and which craters would fill in, we should see some evidence of this lava filler shouldnt we? What would smooth that surface so much to be like it was sanded down with a huge piece of sandpaper compared to the other side's roughness and depth of those craters?

Volcanic activity does not necessarily mean volcanic peaks. The maria are massive lava flows which covered prior impact craters. Not on an individual basis, but covering huge areas at once. You will notice that the far side shows a noticeable lack of maria in comparison to the near side. Where the maria are, the surface is relatively smooth (except where impacts have occurred after their formation). Where the maria are not, the surface is cratered.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Do they demonstrate an uneven distribution of cratering from one hemisphere to another?

Absolutely. A good example is Iapetus, a moon of Saturn. (some speculate that it is not just a moon)

Iapetus has a very unusual orbit around Saturn too. That however does not seem to be a factor in Iapetus having more impacts on one side vs the other.

Orbit path of Iapetus around Saturn.

Originally posted by Phage
Volcanic activity does not necessarily mean volcanic peaks. The maria are massive lava flows which covered prior impact craters. Not on an individual basis, but covering huge areas at once. You will notice that the far side shows a noticeable lack of maria in comparison to the near side. Where the maria are, the surface is relatively smooth (except where impacts have occurred after their formation). Where the maria are not, the surface is cratered.

Is there any evidence that suggests tidal lock is the reason why the crater count would be considerably more on one side vs the other due to volcanic lava "fill in"?

I dont think that tidal forces would smooth out a planet surface from one side vs the other when the eye can clearly see one side having more impacts than the other. Also the volcanic activity would have had to be imense and consistant for a very long time to cover up that much impact crater if it were said that the side of the Moon we see had the same number of impacts as the side we do not see. I just dont see the connection there Phage. Especially when it has been suggested that the "dark side" once faced Earth. Article

edit to add Iapetus orbit pic and article link
Cheers!!!!

[edit on 19-2-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Well, for what it's worth, if I were an alien species building bases, the one thing I wouldn't do is build it on the side away from the sun, unless I was some sort of weird non-energy, cold, emo-entity.

I'd think any bases built on surfaces of moons or planets, if they had to make a choice, would be to the side with sunlight.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join