It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Anyone In Obama's Administration Pay Taxes?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
From Market Ticker

Now Rahm Emmanuel is accused?

"NEWS broke last week that Rahm Emanuel, now White House chief of staff, lived rent- free for years in the home of Rep. Rosa De Lauro (D-Conn.) - and failed to disclose the gift, as congressional ethics rules mandate. But this is only the tip of Emanuel's previously undisclosed ethics problems.

Emanuel never declared the substantial gift of free rent on any of his financial-disclosure forms. He and De Lauro claim that it was just allowable "hospitality" between colleagues. Hospitality - for five years?

Some experts suggest that it was also taxable income: Over five years, the free rent could easily add up to more than $100,000.

Of course it is taxable income. Anyone can give anyone up to $10,000 a year tax-free, but "gifts in kind" are still required to be reported and are taxable. If it is really $100,000 worth it exceeds the giftable amount and is subject to tax, just as certainly as it is if you get a chauffeured car and driver (aka Daschle)

What's worse though is this:

Nor is this all that seems to have been missed in the Obama team's vetting process. Consider: Emanuel served on the Freddie Mac board of directors during the time that the government-backed lender lied about its earnings, a leading contributor to the current economic meltdown.

The Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight Agency later singled out the Freddie Mac board as contributing to the fraud in 2000 and 2001 for "failing in its duty to follow up on matters brought to its attention." In other words, board members ignored the red flags waving in their faces.

The SEC later fined Freddie $50 million for its deliberate fraud in 2000, 2001 and 2002.

Meanwhile, Emanuel was paid more than $260,000 for his Freddie "service." Plus, after he resigned from the board to run for Congress in 2002, the troubled agency's PAC gave his campaign $25,000 - its largest single gift to a House candidate.

Oh that's nice.

We've now got a chief of staff who served on the board of Freddie Mac while they were flim-flamming their books?

Now THAT is "Change We Can Believe In"

PS: President Obama, if you truly didn't know about this, you need to fire Rahm today. If you did know about it, you need to resign.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, at what point to we officially call this ridiculous?

No wonder these people have no problem spending our money and our children's and grand-children's money - they don't freaking pay into the fund they are spending!!!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
"Hospitality among collegues"? Is that what they are calling it these days??

All I can say is that nothing surprises me anymore.

Nothing at all.....

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
They pay taxes on the surface.
From there salary for doing the government job so they can say, "hey we pay taxes to".
But the majority of there additional income from investments, is all done under offshore company's without there names on it.
And they pay nothing.
Ever heard of Foreign tax exempt?
They may even invest there money IN the USA.
But it comes from and goes back to offshore trusts that pay no tax in the USA.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
"Hospitality among collegues"? Is that what they are calling it these days??

All I can say is that nothing surprises me anymore.

Nothing at all.....

That's what they're calling the "get out of jail free" card being handed out to certain members of Obama's cabinet, like Geithner and probably now Emmanuel.

This second line makes this post that much more important.

[edit on 18-2-2009 by sos37]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
It's infuriating! If I don't pay my taxes, my assets would be frozen, property seized, etc.

These guys don't even get so much as a slap on the hand.

What ever happened to and Justice for ALL??

The average person can't get the right justice, and the politicians get the wrong justice.

What is this country coming to when a US citizen has to pay $75K to ILLEGAL ALIENS CROSSING HIS PROPERTY but our politicians don't even have to pay their taxes (or pay the consequences when they are found to not have paid)

I swear I want to ex-patriate

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Wait just a minute guys!!!

I trust them!

It's just a little slip up...we can let it slide.

After all, we are counting on these guys to Nationalize our banks so we need to overlook small things like not paying taxes.

I'm sure they will get their act together.

WE NEED MORE GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are the only ones responsible enough to handle this mess.

After all, Harry Reid thinks paying taxes is voluntary and Pelosi is flying around on her taxpayer jet.

S & F

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

You are always able to make me giggle, even about some of the most infuriating subjects! Thank you for that!

It's only voluntary until WE refuse to pay taxes

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Glad I could make you laugh, in times like these, a laugh never hurts.

You are right though, this is such complete and total BS.

Who HAS paid their taxes?

How can someone pick so many who have trouble paying their taxes?

We are supposed to TRUST these people?

We need revolution baby!!!

WOOHOO!!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Oh my goodness - this whole thing has me in just a tizzy.

All of those others and now some kind of tax confusion with Rham?!

Here is the thing I just don't understand.

All of these people. These smart, educated people that lead our great nation can't seem to figure out how to properly pay their taxes!!! Where does that leave you and I, the common folk?

Surely, if these great minds can't figure it out and mess up on their taxes....then I don't see how the government could even begin to hope that peons like us could get it right?!

I mean, if our leaders can't figure out to pay their taxes, how could we common folk be expected be able to figure out how to pay our's? If our leaders can't figure it out then I don't see how we could even attempt to try and figure it out enough to pay ours.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I was audited two years ago and had to cough up about 11k for a mistake I made years before. The IRS just sent me a letter saying they owed me like 13 dollars so that tells me I got audited again. I though audits were supposed to be random but guess what they are not because I keep getting audited. I hate to think about next year because they could really screw me if the decided to get creative. I think its sad that I work my ass off and get taxed about 25k in federal, 6k in state, and 13k in social security but still they feel the need to audit me to squeeze me some more. Am I wrong for wanting to see the whole system come crashing down?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty
It's infuriating! If I don't pay my taxes, my assets would be frozen, property seized, etc.

These guys don't even get so much as a slap on the hand.

What ever happened to and Justice for ALL??

The average person can't get the right justice, and the politicians get the wrong justice.

I have quoted before in other threads a particular line by the character "Squealer" from George Orwell's book "Animal Farm" that refines the essence of the tenants of the "Seven Commandments" the animals in the story presume to live by...
"All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others"

The term "Orwellian Nightmare" tends to come to my mind in times such as these~

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I bet it makes people feel warm and fuzzy inside knowing that the same people who push for higher taxes and complex tax codes along with approving of stiff tax penalties don't pay taxes themselves.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Are you kidding me do as we say and not as we do I believe should be this administrations moto. Taxes not for this adminstrations leadership they are the elite and are the new untouchables.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by amari]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I suggest that while they have majority control of government they write up and pass legislation that would automatically expunge all criminal acts past, present or future as well as exempt from all taxes past, present or future of anyone either in the Obama administration or future nominees.

With majority control they could easily do this and have it signed within a few hours.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
You are kidding right? Okay then I assume anyone living with family after what? the age of 16? must estimate rental costs and declare it as income and pay taxes on it?

Does this law apply to family members? Just immediate family? Or do you have to estimate rental expense and declare it if you stay with a cousin for a month?

Or if during the tough economic climate a family moves in with friends to get back on their feet? Do they have to estimate rent and declare it as income?

How do you think this should work? This is an ironic tact to take by the republican BS machine who claims to want less taxes.

So Rahm lived with a friend who didn't charge him rent...If they were "involved" would he have to declare that rental income?

Ditto for the rest of the country?

This is dumb...just really dumb and desperate.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

you are allowed a gift of $12,000 that is not taxable (this years rules, last year it was $10K) but we are talking about a house that fair market would have gotten at least $100K rent per year

So at least $88K of that should have been reported as a gift and taxes paid accordingly.

Is it crazy, probably - but it's the Law of the Tax Code

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   

My questions remain...If this is an issue and the Republicans want to make a case that this constitutes tax evasion...

Does a child living with his parents after the age of 16 who isn't paying his parents rent need to estimate what his rent would be and pay appropriate taxes?

If there is an an exception for family...what does it extend to ...Can I stay with a cousin or uncle for a month or two without being liable for taxes on non existant transactions...estimated rent?

I once lived with a woman where I paid the mortgage and she covered the utility bills....must I now report her to the IRS for tax evasion and vice versa?

If my wife and myself offer to take in her best friend and child who is a single mom who just lost her job...must I demand that we either charge them rent or let the IRS know what I estimate the rent to be and report them?

Otherwise...What the ef is the GOP spin machine talking about when it claims that this is tax evasion!!

* It is fine (and I would argue even required in a democracy) to criticize the President and his administration as well as all our politicians.

But when it is done in a desperate fashion, and in this case, makes an argument whose premise is in direct conflict with what we know to be the claimants values...The GOP calling for insane things to be taxed....then all this does is erode and often invalidate the credibility of the GOP.

They need to stop the BS...there is plenty of legitimate issues they can be honestly critical of without this kind of reaching which looks like pure propaganda and makes people want to stop listening to them.

I am a Democrat who is desperate to see a restructured GOP. We NEED a two party system (at the least) and the tactics (assuming the public is easily manipulated) that the GOP seems to have chosen are a continuation of the tactics that have failed them...Please...may the GOP return to the party of Lincoln or even Reagan.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by maybereal11]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Desperation? Like Red said, it's in the tax code! These are codes that were likely written by Democrats! So now you want the Republicans to just ignore what the law says because YOU don't think this is an important issue?

I submit that you don't want a bi-partisan government as you truly say, you want a liberal government with a yes-man Republican minority that barks when it's back is whipped.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
My questions remain...If this is an issue and the Republicans want to make a case that this constitutes tax evasion...

I do believe that the confirmation committees are bi-partisan. As we have already seen, tax issues seem to be plaguing this administration's nominations.

Does a child living with his parents after the age of 16 who isn't paying his parents rent need to estimate what his rent would be and pay appropriate taxes?

Of course not, a 16 , 17 or 18 yr old CHILD is a dependent, even older if still a student or handicapped. Come on, you know better, you are throwing int the mix a false argument here. Don't build a strawman...

If there is an an exception for family...what does it extend to ...Can I stay with a cousin or uncle for a month or two without being liable for taxes on non existant transactions...estimated rent?

Would a month or 2 staying with them have cost over $12K if you had to pay all the bills they were paying on your behalf? If not, this is yet another strawman argument.

I once lived with a woman where I paid the mortgage and she covered the utility bills....must I now report her to the IRS for tax evasion and vice versa?

Why yes, report to the Ministry of Information Czar and do your duty by reporting on your fellow citizen

Be real - again, It would be her responsibility to report a Gift IF that gift equaled OVER $12K Last year. It could be argued by the IRS that the difference between the rent and utilities charges was a gift. And the codes in effect for the year that it occurred would apply.

If my wife and myself offer to take in her best friend and child who is a single mom who just lost her job...must I demand that we either charge them rent or let the IRS know what I estimate the rent to be and report them?

NO. It is the person RECEIVING the gift who has the responsibility to report it.

Otherwise...What the ef is the GOP spin machine talking about when it claims that this is tax evasion!!

Rahm Emmanuel lived there for FIVE YEARS without paying a single penny in rent. That is what they are talking about. He NEVER in those FIVE YEARS claimed the gift - FIVE Effing years of lying on his taxes. THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Edit to add: It's considered “imputed income” — non-financial gifts or compensation that should be reported to the IRS. Especially since the rent's fair market value was about $100K PER YEAR

But when it is done in a desperate fashion, and in this case, makes an argument whose premise is in direct conflict with what we know to be the claimants values...The GOP calling for insane things to be taxed....then all this does is erode and often invalidate the credibility of the GOP.

The House Ways and Means Committee writes the tax code, the IRS enforces it. There are more Democrats than Republicans on that committee So who exactly is calling for things to be taxed??? Get the facts before hand, it makes a rant much more effective.

Edit to add clarification

[edit on 2/20/09 by redhatty]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
no obamas people are tax cheaters and then have the nerve to go after the people with swiss accounts.

thats bs how can the government go after suppose tax evasion of people with swiss accounts when his people democrats dont even pay their own taxes why do they get a free pass and then go after the others.

democrats have 2 sets of rules 1 for them and 1 for everyone else

[edit on 6-3-2009 by neo67]

[edit on 6-3-2009 by neo67]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join