It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thread Scores

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
EKC,

Where did I ask you about Donn De GrandPre's info? (sorry) Have you responded yet??

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

...On every thread you read. It WILL make a difference.

[Edited on 15-4-2004 by RANT]

I agree with what you're saying RANT but it just isn't going to happen. It's like the google ads in the side bar, if "everyone just clicked on them" then we would really be helping ATS out, which in turn helps us.

However, we know this just doesn't happen, maybe in a perfect world it might but just not here. The same will happen with this voting system, it wont change.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
If a thread's good or vital I do vote. Therefore, I have a right to bitch, do I not?

People don't have the balls to say they just torpedoed your thread - they don't comment , period - they just hit that low button and run like the punks they are. Cowards.

Either way voters should be identified. Or just do away with it.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mepatriot
EKC,

Where did I ask you about Donn De GrandPre's info? (sorry) Have you responded yet??

Here ya go:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I'm too new to have too much of an opinion about this, but I don't use the thread score to determine whether or not I look at the thread. If the title looks interesting, I'll read the thread. I've only voted once and that was because I actually remembered to do it.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Before I brought this up today, someone's been going onto all my posts and just hitting the #1 button or whatever to bring the scores down.

I'm not saying all my threads are great or anything; it's just pretty obvious what's going on. Whoever's doing should find a brain and learn how to debate instead of just sabotaging someone's thread.

It's like I said before, if there are links to information and some good debate, there's no reason why a score should fall below 5.

If you bring someone's score down - cop to it - explain why - or bugger off.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid Either way voters should be identified. Or just do away with it.
You've voted 17 times, you've given 11 10-votes, and 6 1-votes... nothing in-between. You seem to be doing exactly what you're complaining about.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

You've voted 17 times, you've given 11 10-votes, and 6 1-votes... nothing in-between.

You seem to be doing exactly what you're complaining about.

lol, i'm probably the same, i just goof around with the voting..... why? because i'm rick james

[Edited on 15-4-2004 by Lysergic]

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You've voted 17 times, you've given 11 10-votes, and 6 1-votes... nothing in-between.

lol, i'm probably the same, i just goof around with the voting..... why? because i'm rick james

This is more like Kenny Rogers- You can't outrun the long arm of the law.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Nonetheless there are threads consistently with a 4.333 and one vote. It's so obvious it's ridiculous. Wonder who that one vote is from?

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Post/thread ranking/karma/points/style/votes/etc. has been around in one form or another for a long time... going way back to dial-in BBS systems, and into AOL and CompuServe forums. Just like any feature of ATS or other boards, you get out of it, what membership puts into it. I rarely pay attention to a thread's score beyond looking at the current collection in the top-100 page. Since, according to our logs, Google spiders that page three times a week, I suppose it's a good thing to have. The point of the system has never been to penalize what you believe to be a crap thread, but to promote what we all believe to be quality threads. If we use it that way (and enough seem to be), then it will be easy for new users to understand which threads are the best we have to offer. Given the search-engine success of the top-100 page, it's going to take a lot of convincing arguements, studies, focus groups, interviews, man-on-the-street opinions, and what-not to convince me thread scoring is no longer a good idea. Without the thread scoring and top-100 page, how else would new users find these? www.abovetopsecret.com... www.abovetopsecret.com... www.abovetopsecret.com... www.abovetopsecret.com... www.abovetopsecret.com... www.abovetopsecret.com... www.abovetopsecret.com... and all the others?

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   

The point of the system has never been to penalize what you believe to be a crap thread, but to promote what we all believe to be quality threads. If we use it that way (and enough seem to be), then it will be easy for new users to understand which threads are the best we have to offer.

so wouldn't the idea of all threads starting off with a zero rating remove the option to vote down a thread?

(yeah yeah I know I've been guilty myself of voting a thread down, I'll admit it)

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I would be glad to identify myself if I vote. I will in the future, to be sure.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   

The point of the system has never been to penalize what you believe to be a crap thread, but to promote what we all believe to be quality threads. If we use it that way (and enough seem to be), then it will be easy for new users to understand which threads are the best we have to offer.

You see, that's the problem. You have these people who are simply being vindictive bringing thread scores down - it has nothing to do with the quality, so these scores are meaningless, not to mention sometimes fraudulent. Good way to keep people away from a thread they might otherwise look at.

It's just dumb.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join