It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thread Scores

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
No offense to the genius who came up with the idea for thread scores, but I have to say, it's just downright ridiculous.

The scores often do not reflect the legitimacy and merit of threads. It is used as a tool for angry posters and morons to use to retaliate against the author of the thread. And that's only because they're too ignorant to argue their case.

Anyone who hits the low-score button oughtta have the ballz to step up and say so, also. But they don't.

[Edited on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
i too do not see the validity of thread scores. Many threads don't even get any scores at all. Some people just vote for their favorite posters, others give low scores, because they don't agree with the opinion being voiced. I don't think that is an accurate reflection of content of the thread...some well researched thread with lots of thought get low and no scores and other little sensational blurbs get high scores. Just my opinion. It doesn't bother me if it there, but I don't see the purpose...

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I don't even see the ratings being used that often. It was a good idea, but seems that

1. it is not used often enough to merit keeping it

and

2. See above post. Many seem to use it only to retaliate against someone they disagree with.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I agree with you, but if people used this facility properly we might be able to avoid the sensational speculation and concentrate on the multitude of interesting issues and ideas that people bring here. Many people post great threads that I enjoy reading, but finding the good threads is often difficult.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I know you're not supposed to just reply with "I agree", but I really can't add to what EastCoastKid has said. He's absolutely right.

Far too often I have seen threads with posts that must've had alot of hard work put into them, you can tell it must've taken a good hour to research and write. Yet because a reader does not agree with the post they'll vote down the thread. It's rediculous and I don't see the point of it.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I've been noticing, someone's been going through most of my threads and knocking the scores down. That tells me those posts are threatening someone. And they're flailing pathetically about trying to stop the truth from being told. They can't argue their position, so they resort to that infantile retaliation.

I posted one thread, for example, with a shyteload of information and links and the score was dropped to 3. something. Somebody couldn't handle it. Any thread with links to backup info. should never fall below 5.

I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with me, but to just sabotage someone's thread like that is stooopid and cowardly. If you're gonna have the rating, then ensure whoever drops the score or bounces it up is identified. Otherwise is bs.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I still think as I've mentioned in a previous thread, that there shouldn't be the option of giving negative ratings. I think all threads should start out at zero and that way no-one can be offended, upset, or hurt if someone who has a grudge against them scores their thread down just because the option is there. It will still allow the really good posts to shine out amongs the rest.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
It's nice to know other people have seen this and are commenting. Thanks guys, for speaking up.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I will vote "10" on this thread, because I agree totally with the (so-far) majority opinions expressed here that the score is a ludicrous sham as currently being utilized. I pledge here and now to always identify with a post whenever I vote on a thread, and to say what score I have given...

Who's with me on that??

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
But if you look at the TOP 100 Highest Ranked threads... you'll see the point.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now some don't belong. And some should be higher... but hey, it's a guideline.

The system would work MUCH better if more people voted. There's no point in five or six replies of "AWESOME THREAD
" with ZERO votes.

Go to page one and VOTE!

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
What happened to the voting option on this thread, moderator??? I'd like to see it be the only thread out there with a solid "10" so you guys will fix the problem, but I can't find the "vote" option on this thread!! grr....

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mepatriot
I will vote "10" on this thread, because I agree totally with the (so-far) majority opinions expressed here that the score is a ludicrous sham as currently being utilized. I pledge here and now to always identify with a post whenever I vote on a thread, and to say what score I have given...

Who's with me on that??

All the way, Megapatriot.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
But if you look at the TOP 100 Highest Ranked threads... you'll see the point.

Now some don't belong. And some should be higher... but hey, it's a guideline.

It's a tool to hatchet threads, Mod. If you vote, up or down, make them IDENTIFY!

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I understand your concerns, however, you can't argue with the threads on this page: www.abovetopsecret.com... While certainly some may get lost, it's the nature of the size and personality of our board, that page is certainly showcasing the cream of our crop... which is what it was intended to do.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
TALK ABOUT CENCORSHIP!!!!! WHY CAN'T I VOTE ON THIS THREAD!!!

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   
The thread ranking system sucks. I've said that from day one.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by mepatriot TALK ABOUT CENCORSHIP!!!!! WHY CAN'T I VOTE ON THIS THREAD!!!
Voting is only enabled for topical forums, not general forums such as "Board Questions", "Introductions", etc. As described here: www.abovetopsecret.com... Settle down. [Edited on 15-4-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
I understand your concerns, however, you can't argue with the threads on this page:

While certainly some may get lost, it's the nature of the size and personality of our board, that page is certainly showcasing the cream of our crop... which is what it was intended to do.

Ok do me a favour William, check the top half for politics related subjects.

Some of the politics threads are fantastic, yet they get torpedoed by people who do not agree with the views of the author e.t.c. simple as that, regardless of the quality.
Where personal opinions come into play this voting system is a disaster.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I normally don't bitch about stuff here, but in my opinion, ATS needs to re-evaluate this scoring nonsense. Scores DO NOT reflect the substance and worth of a thread. Only bias. It's getting ridiculous and making ATS look silly.

I'm obviously not alone in my thinking.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
I normally don't bitch about stuff here, but in my opinion, ATS needs to re-evaluate this scoring nonsense. Scores DO NOT reflect the substance and worth of a thread. Only bias. It's getting ridiculous and making ATS look silly.

I'm obviously not alone in my thinking.

This 100% falls into the category of DON'T VOTE? DON'T BITCH!

The system (ANY SYSTEM) only works, and works best when you vote. Look at your "Is Bush a Devil Worshipper?" thread.

287 views...
30 replies...
AND FOUR VOTES!

You got more people to jump on the bitch and moan bandwagon about thread scores than to actually vote.

It's SO simple. If you disagree with a thread score VOTE. I find it next to impossible to believe that everyone here complaining votes on each and every thread they read, or the vote tallies would reflect it.

I'll say it again.

GO TO PAGE ONE AND VOTE!

...On every thread you read. It WILL make a difference.

[Edited on 15-4-2004 by RANT]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join