It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UltiMATE ReBOOT

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Hello everybody.
For sake of making myself a break from the occasional ATS experience i thought "Well why not have a look at a TED video before checking back here.

So i viewed the following vid. And i was taken by surprise at the modern rate of increasingly accelerated science and its implications.
(Yes i used And at the start of the sentence there.)

The world as we know it does change rapidly. Not only in socioeconomic ways.
That would be old fashioned. Take a look at the vid below and be patient.
I am quite sure you will enjoy it. The more you watch, the more you will get what i mean herein.

REBOOT

I guess i do not even have to ask questions here.
The video will propably spark a long discussion all by it self.

EnJOY !!! - I was mesmerised.

(Although i do not know if thats in a good or a bad way...)
(Propably really depends on us, and i still haven't lost faith.)

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
It is actually quite funny that once a post is past the recent post list it dies and no one gets the chance to have a view.

Here it is again!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
That was a great video!! Thanks for sharing!

Indeed, we near our next evolutionary stage. And this is it!

Juan Enriquez has one hell of a resume. Also looks like he has 2 books out, that I now must pickup.
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 2/19/09 by Cyprex]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

I must admit i do tend to just hit the recent post list, i dont know what i want to read thats why posters titles need to be eye catching (but relevant) irrespective of the genre, im always open to a GOOD read.

Watching video...

Great video, deffo worth the watch

S&F

[edit on 19/2/2009 by phushion]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Ok I just finished sending this to about every person I know

They all love it. S+F!!

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
That was quite entertaining!

And I do share his views on where we are heading.

I hold to the concept that we may end up handing ourselves over to a new species we create, which would be inherently partly artificial.

The way I see it, as he mentioned, we begin replacing parts of ourselves, at first due to damage and deficiencies.
But then the healthy will catch on, they will want to have these superior augmentations. It will naturally become a matter of competition in many aspects, from military to economical.

At which point many would decide that rather than tailor make the augmentations to fit our bodies... why not tailor make our bodies to be ready for the augmentations.

Now I'm not just referring to limbs, guts, and sensory organs... I'm referring to that which is much more disturbing, at least to our generation.
Cerebral augmentations.

Think of it, instead of carrying that PDA around with you, or that GPS, that blackberry... why not just tie it directly into our brains?
At first it would be simple. A link to your optic nerves, your auditory nerves, and the areas responsible for motor control.

... over time it would become even further interlaced with who we are.
Taking over aspects of our thought. Why calculate your taxes in your head, or even on a calculator. Just think that you want to, and bam... the answer is calculated for you and re-planted back into your own memory.

... why stop there? Why use your own biological memory at all? Heck, tailor make a generation with no memory centers in the brain at all, just make it ready to accept the artificial variant.

Eventually coming to the point when we want our little tech demon in our heads to be able to help us make decisions... or, to make the majority of our decisions for us.
Just switch it off when it's time to go on vacation. With the incredible amount of work that implant just did for you while you mentally slumbered away, you'll have plenty of money to go on vacation right?

Wrong. There will be plenty of others with these upgrades, all competing with each other.
Eventually, to compete to survive, you will have to hand total control over to the upgrade. The human consciousness might be able to stick around for perhaps a couple of generations as a passenger... until we forget why we even want to stick around at all.

But don't fear.
Everything evolves.
Just because humans as we are now will be "extinct" doesn't mean our replacements won't be worthy of carrying on our legacy.

Personally, I can't see the present version of humans sticking around for long. We're entering a time where we ultimately decide who and what we are.

... and with that ability, comes the realization that replacement is the next step in advancement.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

WOW that was a long talk!
Well put too, but rather disturbing as a prospect of human future/evolution.
I tend to be more optimistic.
After all i suppose i am not the only one to avoid even the simplest medication except for extreme situations. I just hope i did not smoke...
So i guess there will be enough people sticking around as they should untill the sideffects of the muatated ones show that being natural is the only way...
I do not dissagree with the organ and limb transplants when required but taking the thing as far as you visioned is utter insanity. Loss of reason to existance.
Would make a good thriller that scenario. (actually reminds me of some)

I think after all the plannet is in much more trouble environmentally a thing we do not know what consequences will bring upon us.
I just wish we used some of our wisdom towards that important field.
On the other hand i should agree that the time we wear a high capability machine to assist as in the form of a tool is not all that far away.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I am just posting this again so it shows up on the recent posts list and more people get a glance of the video.

If you feel this is worth for your fellow members to watch please make a short post to keep it alive.
I do not feel nice doing it myself!

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I unfortunately can't watch this video from work, but it sounds like something I would definitely find interesting.
I'll have a look from home tonight.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
It's too optimistic. The US government will never solve their fiscal problems, because the cost is too painful. They will go the way of the other third world hell holes.

I believe the tech. revolution will be interrupted by WWIII and too many nukes. The real paradise will be instituted by the creator for those who solve their moral problem via forgiveness. ie they must accept Jesus Christ as Lord and savior.

top topics

join