It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Earth reveals secret history of US base in Pakistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Google Earth reveals secret history of US base in Pakistan

www.timesonline.co.uk

The US was secretly flying unmanned drones from the Shamsi airbase in Pakistan's southwestern province of Baluchistan as early as 2006, according to an image of the base from Google Earth.

The image — that is no longer on the site but which was obtained by The News, Pakistan's English language daily newspaper — shows what appear to be three Predator drones outside a hangar at the end of the runway. The Times also obtained a copy of the image, whose co-ordinates confirm that it is the Shamsi airfield, also known as Bandari, about 200 miles southwest of the Pakistani city of Quetta.

An investigation by The Times yesterday revealed that the CIA was secretly using Shamsi to launch the Predator drones that observe and attack al-Qaeda and Taleban militants around Pakistan's border with Afghanistan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
This is certainly interesting. One is left wondering if we were using the base covertly, unbeknownst to the Pakistan government... or if the Pakistan government was trying desperately to keep their people from knowing that they were complicitly aiding the US military effort in Afghanistan and in the tribal lands by allowing them to use an airbase. I also have to wonder if this was strictly a Musharaff arraingment or if anyone currently in the upper offices there was involved? If it is the latter, I can easily see this becoming a major political issue there.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I agree, that would pose a significant political issue, most likely not one we will hear about though.

I think it's great that of all things Google Earth ousted this program, it's usually used to these people's advantage. Strange, you'd think they never would have updated that place in the program to begin with and saved themselves the trouble.

I bet Google got a few angry phone calls over this one.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
How is this a good thing for anyone? I'm all for google earth, but im also for responsible journalism. If this leads to an attack on the base, a further destabilization of the Pakistani Government or causes the CIA to have to stop their activities in the area, the Taliban will be big winners.

top topics

join