It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois Bill Proposes $1,000,000 Gun Insurance (HB0687)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Illinois Bill Proposes $1,000,000 Gun Insurance (HB0687)

www.heraldextra.com

Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that any person who owns a firearm in this State shall maintain a policy of liability insurance in the amount of at least $1,000,000 specifically covering any damages resulting from negligent or willful acts involving the use of such firearm while it is owned by such person. Provides that a person shall be deemed the owner of a firearm after the firearm is lost or stolen until such loss or theft is reported to the police department or
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.ilga.gov
www.ilg a.gov

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
This is unbelievable ladies and gentlemen.

In effect, what this bill is proposing is that in order to own a firearm (ANY firearm) you must be able to produce a proof of insurance that has liability coverage of $1,000,000 or higher. This is "just in case" something should happen like an "accident" or a "willful misuse" of the weapon which results in damages. If you do not have this, your FOID (Firearm Owner Identification card) will be revoked and you MUST surrender your guns promptly to the police or else be charged of a felony.

In effect this will mean that only the rich will be able to own a gun legally in the state of IL if it passes. Everyone else who can't afford it will be a felon. This is no joke. I thought it was until I heard it on talk radio. Conservative talk radio that folks, the same radio that the Democrats want to silence with the "Fairness Doctrine". I then checked the Illinois General Assembly site, and sure enough, there it is. It is the bill number: HB0687

I urge anyone and everyone in the state of IL who is a, or supports, gun ownership to become VERY vocal and get this out there to everyone. We cannot allow this to pass as if it does here, it may very well be enacted in other states as well.

www.heraldextra.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I am really surprised this hasn't been tried before or has it? This could be one of those legislators giving business to a select industry to help fatten their pocket. Either way it sucks.

My question is how can they take away something that the US Constitution gives us?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I would get a gun insurance policy.. when criminals have to get insurance policies..

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
It never ceases to amaze me what lengths these liberal gun grabbers will go to in an attempt to turn our RIGHTS into privileges, so they can restrict them, turning law abiding citizens into felons.

I've located the representative that introduced this blatant violation of our 2nd Amendment Rights.

Below, I've included his contact information, and web-page so anyone that reads this thread, and wishes to keep their rights intact, will know who NOT to vote for when that time comes.

I also recommend sending him an email, voicing your opinion about introducing such idiotic legislation, and wasting your hard earned tax dollars trying to trash our Constitution and Bill of Rights at our expense.

Remind him that's it's not open to interpretation, and not negotiable.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
U.S. Constitution - Second Amendment - Bearing Arms

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Representative Kenneth Dunkin (D)
5th District

Springfield Office:
278-S Stratton Office Building
Springfield, IL 62706
(217) 782-4535
(217) 782-4213 FAX

District Office:
1520 N. Wells
Chicago, IL 60610
(312) 266-0340
(312) 266-0699 FAX
Cook County

Email
info@repkendunkin.com

Web Page
www.repkendunkin.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Thank you for the extra info there! I would hope this info will help others out there would be able to get this out and expose this.

I hope this bill will fail, but the fact it is still moving through the house here, it scares the hell out of me.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

It may very well have been attempted before, we just maye have never heard about it. Again, I only heard of this on conservative talk radio, I don't know if it was mentioned anywhere else. Plus I didn't see it in te paper, and I really had to look and dig online to find it so I could put it up here. Get the word out there and let people know the truth.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
What would it cost to have a million dollar policy on your guns?

Would you get a discount if you had a gun safe?

Would this just be a rider on your house insurance?

I'd like to see what it costs before I have issues with it.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

At the least thousand a year. I could see 3-5k would not be out of line for that size.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by j2000

And with the way the economy is, plus rising costs of everything else and the stagnation of wages, and job loss, I doubt it would be cheap.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
What would it cost to have a million dollar policy on your guns?

Would you get a discount if you had a gun safe?

Would this just be a rider on your house insurance?

I'd like to see what it costs before I have issues with it.

Requiring insurance, or a license,(HR45) turns an unalienable right into a privilege which can then be restricted..

Driving is a privilege, owning a gun is a right. Don't confuse the two.

Even at one micron per year you'll travel a mile, and that's what they're trying to do here. Think of the boiling frog...

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

I am surprised we don't have a $1,000,000 policy on car owners. After all, how many more people get hurt or killed in auto related accidents or malicious behavior (drunk driving, murder, drivebys) at the wheel of a car? Or accidents where a youngster puts the car in drive and careens through the street into a building? I mean come on. This would be a much better policy, and safer. That way only "responsible" and rich people can drive cars, and not the 18 year old or 16 year old who has a much higher accident death rate.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Would million dollar car insurance would stop "unlicensed illegals" from driving?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Ever notice that liberals impose zillions of regulations on just about everything and the effect at the end is that only rich elites can enjoy any rights at all?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
You could not get a policy for what the bill states, ie "negligent or willful acts involving the use of such firearm". What insurance company is going to insure against willful acts? NONE!!! The bill is essentially banning guns.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
This is outrageous! The Democrats will find any method or means possible to erode our personal freedoms and constitutional rights and privileges. ENOUGH!!!

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
How about banning private sales too? This is HB0048

Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Requires a person who is not a federally licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm of a size that may be concealed upon the person to another person, who is not a federally licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer, to do so only at the place of business of a federally licensed firearm dealer. Provides that the federally licensed firearm dealer shall conduct a background check on the prospective recipient of the firearm and follow all other applicable federal, State, and local laws as if he were the seller of the firearm. Provides that the purchaser or transferee may be required by the federally licensed firearm dealer to pay a fee not to exceed $10 per firearm, plus any applicable fees. Makes exceptions for (i) the transfer of a firearm between spouses, a parent and child, or a grandparent and grandchild, (ii) transfers by persons acting pursuant to operation of law or a court order, or (iii) transfers on the grounds of a gun show. Imposes conditions on any rulemaking authority.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

The Government is doing EVERYTHING they can to spark a revolution.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Gun owners had better "UNITE" and not let this BS go through in any state in the USA. This is an illegal act to put a willful financial stress on people that have guns.

They had better make people that smoke cigarettes put up a $1,000,000 insurance policy; because everyone knows that cigarettes kill far more people than guns.

Inform that man that he will not be RE-ELECTED in the State of Illinois EVER again in any office, with a BS bill like that!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
it will be shot down soon. No need to worry, it's clearly unconstitutional.

Some proposed laws are just stupid, this is one of them. There is no way that they are gonna push this through anywhere. Even if they manage to somehow pass it, one stop at the supreme court will get it overturned.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join