It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should government assist laidoff and "outsourced" Americans?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I didn't realize unemployment was taxed.Is that deducted before taxes are taken out?

if not, then isn't that a double tax?

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

The problem is that if someone is jobless, the first thing people say, is flipping burgers is better then nothing.

If there are children involved, the cost of daycare is more then anyone will make at a fast food restaurant. The cost of daycare in my area is 350 a week.

So there really is no point in working if you are just working to pay daycare.

That is why subsidized daycare is so important. A lot of people are strangled with the daycare problem. Not everyone has relatives that can help. Much less for 50 hours a week.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

But it is not even just illegal immigrants. Many are are here legally on work visas.

For example, Pittsburgh was booming when it was a steel town. The steel mills closed and the city went into a major recession it never got out of. It is the only city where the population is declining.

So to try to get out of a recession, it has slowly tried to base its industry on technology and medical. But instead of training and keeping the citizens, it has started importing Eastern Indians. (no offense to the E.Indian folks here, just an example) because they have some decent technological schools over there.

Pittsburgh was a predominently white city. Now there is a massive Indian population there. Whole neighborhoods have been switched over.

So now you still have an entire native population still suffering. Whole neighborhoods have been closed. The housing market was stagnent even during the boom. The average income of someone there is 25k.

So you have a population that is already to poor to invest in college. That now has to compete with a population who has much cheaper access to education. How fair is this?

For Americans to compete, college needs to be subsidized. Then we don't have to require jobs that pay high enough to pay for a bloated system.

How is it that we now have an entire society, that puts so much credibility into a college degree? That costs so much?

i think education is just as much of a scam as the healthcare industry.

The other benefit to a subsidized education is that everyone gets to compete. YOu get better students. If you want to get into college, then you have to do it on merit alone. As opposed to the people who can just afford it.

I am certainly not boohooing it altogether. Of course there are fields that need a college education. But there are plenty of jobs out there that I would much rather have someone with experience then a degree.I think that if people can demonstrate how to do the job, that should be enough.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
As far as Unemployment goes, yes it is taxed and no it is not a double tax as the unemployment is not directly paid bythe government but by your past employer from an insured savings account put aside just for the purpose of unemployment insurance, therefore it was never taxed to start with. The regulations put forth by the government does restrict the amount of time and percentage from your last payscale up to a maximum set amount. this can be extended by the government due to stressful time as we are going thru now.

I am laid off at this time with a written guarentee to go back in 6 months, but am still looking for something else during this time as well, with this economy and the apparant bad decisions to support those that caused this economic problem to start with, i don't trust even the written guarentee to go back in 6 months.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

There are many people who are jobless that have kids while being so.
There are many people who quit dead end jobs such as flipping burgers while they have kids.
There are very few out there who get the real sh** end of the stick.

Needs to be a system that finds the third of the three and help them. The amount of people who feed off of the system or do not make ANY plans regarding the future have no sympathy from me.

Doesn't matter what it is, if there are people doing NOTHING and GETTING SOMETHING, it will put a strain on the system. So putting more and more strain on it will only break it.

All of the leeches should be removed from welfare and all of that, while people who really need it should get it. To bad there are those who care for the dirt bags of this country when they do not and never will care for themselves.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Yes they should. Also, the bankers and crooks receiving the big bailouts that sent money overseas should pitch in as well.

I know too many people with excellent job records and educations who are losing them. They are not the "welfare" type. They are hardworking, tax paying citizens who have lost jobs.

Now, here's an idea for some wealth redistribution: lets just say we take the billions AIG, as only one example, pissed away overseas and overpaid employees and distributed it to the job-displaced American tax payers. Hey, we'd all be caught up on our bills and out of debt.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

But it is not even just illegal immigrants. Many are are here legally on work visas. For example, Pittsburgh was booming when it was a steel town. The steel mills closed and the city went into a major recession it never got out of. It is the only city where the population is declining. So to try to get out of a recession, it has slowly tried to base its industry on technology and medical. But instead of training and keeping the citizens, it has started importing Eastern Indians. (no offense to the E.Indian folks here, just an example) because they have some decent technological schools over there.

Perhaps you did not read my ENTIRE post:

I think most Americans would be happy if the government would just STOP ASSISTING the corporations in their efforts to get rid of American workers.

Stop the H1B Visas

Revoke NAFTA Penalize corporations that outsource American jobs to other countries

Stop giving American jobs to illegal immigrants

If you are not familiar with H1B visas, those are the visas that the Eastern Indians and others you talk about, are given by our corrupt Congress and Corporations to bring in cheap labor.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Yes. They were the ones that opened the doors that allowed all of these corportations and conglomerates to move their factories overseas to benefit wall street and shareholders. These were good paying jobs that were lost to this country. Many people now are working multiple jobs just to retain what they once had. What a strain on the working class. Where I used to work, our plant lost 900 factory jobs over the last 7 years. They even outsourced the engineering and designer positions to India. THe corporations don't go after the competition anymore. They go after the employees nowadays. What's next?

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
It is only those that want it to appear that all these people, down on their luck, are there because we choose to be. They want to suggest that we are "lazy," "unmotivated," and other epithets, so as to justify doing nothing. By marginalizing us, they can garner support for leaving us with nowhere to turn to.

It is a purposefully concocted BS to sway the understandings and opinions of the "average Joe." God forbid we try and HELP someone!

Let me first say that I'm in a similar boat as you: I've only been out of work for three and a half months, but I've been submitting 70+ resumes a week for those three and half months. I got one offer to work in some shady money-laundering scheme (I didn't take it -- rather be homeless than in prison!). Good luck!

In regards to the quoted text, these people are just not smart. They don't know how to add and subtract.

Pretend there are 30 people in a country. Of those 30 people living in the country, 10 people don't want jobs, for whatever reason (retired, lazy, disabled, etc) The other 20 of them do want jobs, and are actively seeking work. Yet, there are only 17 jobs available in the country. By necessity, 3 citizens of this country, who want jobs, will be unable to find jobs. No amount of effort will change the fact that you cannot have full-employment if you have a larger labor-force than you have jobs to stick them in. This is basically a smaller version of our system.

Feel bad for these ridiculous people, who think that all unemployed people are lazy: they're either complete idiots, or they're so insecure that they have to speak down on others just so that they don't feel so bad about themselves. It's sad.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join