It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favourite Quotes?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
"Imagination is more imporant than knowledge."
--Einstein

"One night, before going to sleep, I was praying to God. Then, suddenly, I realized I was talking to myself."
--?

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right."
--?

And my signature, which is Van Gogh.

I really like this one:

"We wear the mask that grins and lies, it hides our cheeks and shades our eyes."
--Paul Lawrence Dunbar

Thanks, dashen!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
If you pit a good performer against a bad system, the system will win almost every time. We spend too much of our time fixing people who are not broken, and not enough time fixing organisation systems that are broken…..

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
"Shallow people are the hardest to cut deep."
-Me.

"This is not a story book. No happy ending."
-Casey Stratton, lyrics, Happy Ending.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
"America is at that awkward stage, its too late to work within the system and too early to shoot the bastards."

Claire Wolfe

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
My favorites are usually found in the musings of Friedrich Neitzsche, but there are others, I suppose.

1) Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

2) And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh.

3) Faith: not wanting to know what is true.

Of course, these are but a few of my faves.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I'm a habitual quote collector. These are some of my favorites of a more light-hearted nature.

Once at a social gathering, Gladstone said to Disraeli, "I predict, Sir, that you will die either by hanging or of some vile disease." Disraeli replied, "That all depends, sir, upon whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."
- last words of General John Sedgwick (1813-1864)

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window, trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary." - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway)
"Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?" - Ernest Hemingway (about William Faulkner)

[edit on 18/2/09 by paperplanes]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
From one of the greatest:
" "It would be easy to say that we owe it all to the Bush family from Texas, but that would be too simplistic. They are only errand boys for the vengeful, bloodthirsty cartel of raving Jesus-freaks and super-rich money mongers who have ruled for at least the last 20 years, and arguably the last 200 years. They take orders well, and they don't ask too many questions. The real power in America is held by a fast-emerging new Oligarchy of pimps and preachers who see no need for Democracy or fairness or even trees, except maybe the ones in their own yards, and they don't mind admitting it. They worship money and power and death. Their ideal solution to all the nation's problems would be another 100 Year War. Coming of age in a fascist police state will not be a barrel of fun for anybody, much less for people like me, who are not inclined to suffer Nazis gladly and feel only contempt for the cowardly flag-suckers who would gladly give up their outdated freedom to live for the mess of pottage they have been conned into believing will be freedom from fear. Ho ho ho. Let's not get carried away here. Freedom was yesterday in this country. Its value has been discontinued. The only freedom we truely crave today is freedom from Dumbness. Nothing else matters."

" There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . . And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting — on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . . So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark — that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

Hunter S Thompson, RIP

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
Buddha (563 - 483 BC)

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by darcon

"The future ain't what it used to be." -yogi berra

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." -ben franklin

"I wanted to be a philosopher, but I couldn't pass the metaphysical." -harry ashburn

"I feel better since I lost hope." -anon bumper sticker

"I never metaphor I didn't liken." -harry ashburn

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Nice thread.

These two form a poignant contrast:

"So much to do, so little time." Queen Victoria (on her death bed).

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot, 20th century Christian martyr

And finally:

"No one has greater love than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends." Christ, John 15:13

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
hmm, looks like i have Pause4Thought blocked.

I am going to assume he put a biblical quote.

Ezekiel 25:17.

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."

joking lol
:w:
:bnghd:

[edit on 18-2-2009 by darcon]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
"Life is but a dream sweetheart."
Chubbie Checker

"Imagine...."
John Lennon

"All warfare is based on deception."
Sun Tzu

"Methinks the lady protesteth too much."
Wm. Shakespeare

"As above, so below."
The Metaphysician

"I am that I am."
God

that ought to be a diverse enough grouping for y'all.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by PH43DRUS

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right."
--?

That was Henry Ford, if im not mistaken.. a favourite as well..

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Here are a few classic commedy quotes

The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once. Einstein

If it's the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number? Robin Williams

When asked into how many pieces he wanted his pizza cut, he said: "Four. I don't think I can eat eight." Yogi Berra

I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. Steven Wright

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

I bought some batteries, but they weren't included. So I had to buy them again. Steven Wright

Drawing on my fine command of the language, I said nothing. Robert Benchley

Anyone who says he can see through women is missing a lot. Groucho Marx

- JC

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I like this one, I read it in passing once and saved it although I am not sure where it came from, if its from the play or said himself...

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar."

also, I like these:

We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are. - Anais Nin

Anxiety is love's greatest killer. It makes one feel as you might when a drowning man holds unto you. You want to save him, but you know he will strangle you with his panic.- Anais Nin

Other good ones I like are a few from songs.

"There's no telling where we'll be in a day or in a week and there's no promises of peace of happiness."- Patrick Park, Life is a Song

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
If you're going to put your faith in anything,put it in humanity.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I read quotes all the time, heres some of my favorites.

"Whether it is the best of times, or the worst of time, it is only time we have."

"Gratefulness is the key to a happy life that we hold in our hands, because if we are not grateful, then no matter how much we have we will not be happy -- because we will always want to have something else or something more."

"No life is a waste," the Blue Man said. "The only time we waste is the time we spend thinking we are alone."

“Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity."

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
My fav is " If you build a fence, you can't call yourself a fencebuilder" not sure whewr it came from exactly but I have referred to it for years and years! enjoy.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
"If you don't mind me, I don't mind you"

"Throughout our history, the words of the Declaration have inspired immigrants from around the world to set sail to our shores. These immigrants have helped transform 13 small colonies into a great and growing nation of more than 300 people." --George W.

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on."-Robert Bloch

"What are the three words guaranteed to humiliate men everywhere?
'Hold my purse.' "

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. "

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

I have a notebook full of quotes XD

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join