It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riddle surrounds moving tombstone

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
They won't release a video of a stone moving... but they'll let everyone know that he was gay, and died having sex in the woods...?

Riiiiight....

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Could be how jesus escaped from the tomb he was in?
Atheist but fairly sure he was a real person.

From what I've read, Jesus was indeed a real person. Check out "Jesus the Man" by Barbara Thiering. It's a scholarly work, but worth getting through. She talks about all the "miracles" and how prosaic events came to be known as miraculous.

Sorry for the off-topic start to the post.

We need to now more physical data on this tomb site. What are the dimensions? Given the 450kg weight, it must be a fair size - somewhere around 1.5 m tall x .5 wide x .2 deep. How is the tombstone mounted - on concrete? Or is it just sitting on the ground. On what exactly is is sitting? A concrete slab? Marble? Slate? Earth?

If they can't release the film, why not some still pics?

Data will help with the answer...

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I

n the investigation it turned out that the tombstone started sliding due to a natural process, surprisingly, because of the weight of the stone. How this happened exactly, is still being investigated.

That's from the police report.

My guess is that the cover plate rested on a slightly angled slope. Those edges seem pretty smooth, and a strong wind could give it a hard enough push to start sliding.

It was the fourth or fifth time, it happened, seems like a construction error to me.

I believe in ghosts, but I don't believe in ghosts pushing there 1000 lbs lids off, 5 times.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Maybe they are saying the evidence of the cause of their death is in the corpse. Ah! Probly not though.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
ok - with very little to go on , my pure speculation would be [ in no particular ourder ] :

1 - settling of loose pack soil

2 - ice - what were the lowest night time temps ?

3 - water - ither lubricating its path - or erroding one side causing slippage

an obvious question would be - has any one put a spirit level [ no jokes please - i am serious ] on the slab ? it may LOOK level but even the slightest inclination would allow movement - if the friction between the slab ansd what its resting on is low enough

now the OP posted a pic of a similar slab - that looks like polished granite now if its resting on another piece of polished masonry or metal - just a bit of water / ice inbetween the contact surfaces and a fraction of a degree inclination - and whoosh its off

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
well I'm calling shenagins once again we have a 'family who won't release footage ,so somebody hoaxing somehow

but it would be seriously amazing and cool if it was true ,we have a place in the US where rocks just move around for miles all by themselves on the flat desert leaving huge tracks were they went so walking stones is not unheard of

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
I am not 100% sure but there is an exploitative video of sorts that seems to be about this issue - its all in Dutch so I really have no idea but the link was via one the links by the OP

Froek's tv

www.froeks.tv...

perhaps the OP or someone who speaks the lingo can explain what they are doing in this video.
or, confirm if it is even related.

[edit on 2/18/2009 by wayno]

Yeah, that one... Doesn't have anything interesting except for the music. It some kind of student tv site. In the movie they are on the cemetery and they ask people in the neighbourhoud if they have seen any zombies.

Edit: the grave the girl sits next to in the beginning of the video is the actual grave.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by cappuccino]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4demon
They won't release a video of a stone moving... but they'll let everyone know that he was gay, and died having sex in the woods...?

Riiiiight....

uhm, the gay part of the story is the word in and around town. Don't know if that is true. It is not in the official communcations of course.

What is true is that the stone started moving 3 days after the guy was buried.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by invisiblewoman
well I'm calling shenagins once again we have a 'family who won't release footage ,so somebody hoaxing somehow

That's to easy to say. The family does not want to be exposed to the media and if the way the guy died is as I have stated above, I can imagine.

The police have stated in an official press release that the stone can be seen moving by itself, with no help. Believe me, police in Holland does not do much, but they won't hoax something like this. Would not be to good for their image, now wouldn't it? Even the national forensics lab is looking in to the how and why, so obviously the police take it seriously.

In the end there will probably a perfectly locigal, scientifically valid explanation for the moving stone. Until then it cool to speculate about zombies and stuff, isn't it?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
If the bottom surface of the stone was not perfectly flat, the rotation of the Earth, Moon, and Sun could pull the stone from one side to the other, over a period of time. This would then "wobble" and "walk" the stone over a small distance.

Just a possibility.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
This thread has made me chuckle. I used to live very near Buitenpost. In fact, I ordered the the gravestone for my parents from the same stonemason's. Honestly, folks, you can't get any more sensible and down-to-earth people like the Frysians in Holland, and the people around Buitenpost are the most sensible of them all. Hard working, level headed and peaceful people, save for the bored youngsters who love to play pranks especially around New Year's Day. I expect everyone just shrugs their shoulders and carry on with their daily lives, expecting the police to sort it out if pranksters are involved. And if not, a moving gravestone is not going to turn their lives upside down, so why get excited. I know these people.

Contrast that with the kind of excitable people who log into ATS every day. (of which I am one). I like ATS because I am a trend watcher. I like to know what is of interest to whom, and I like to watch and analyse world events. ATS'sers often come up with very intersting links to reputable external sources. These are like gold nuggets.

Unfortunately, this mud pan of ATS gets caked in pebbles and other insignificant debris. Don't get me wrong, I love it all, and I am highly amused by some of your reactions. This is one of those pebbles. It makes me chuckle, but I pick out the pebble and throw it out while I continue searching out the gold nuggets on this site!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by cappuccino
Maybe he was a descendant of Jesus? I see posibilities for a whole Dan Brown book around the topic: was Jesus gay?

If jesus was gay he wouldn't have any descendants. And no - I don't see evidence that Jesus was gay and I don't see evidence that he had any children.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   

The police have stated in an official press release that the stone can be seen moving by itself, with no help. Believe me, police in Holland does not do much, but they won't hoax something like this. Would not be to good for their image, now wouldn't it? Even the national forensics lab is looking in to the how and why, so obviously the police take it seriously.

I have to agree. Since the information is comming from the police it gives a lot of credibility to the story. The police here is not likely to chase anything, let alone a ghost

I also think it rules out that there is anything spacial to see on the video that they are trying to hide. It would have been so much easier to just not tell anybody the have footage of the stone moving.

I think the forensic experts will come up with a valid scientific reason. But in the mean time I enjoy all the theories. Just to make sure I won't travel to Friesland for now. At what speed does a zombie walk anyway?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by cappuccino

Yep. That's the Frysian mentality I was talking about. The presenter is poking fun at the whole episode, interviewing people to see if they have seen a pale ghost with dirty fangs, warning them not to give them permission to slobber in their necks! She's not getting very far with her interview, because people want to be left alone to get on with their daily activities. Typical dry humour, slightly scathing. And very annoying if you are trying to mind your own business...

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I think its just ice.

Maybe topsoil freezes, the heat from the stone after being in the sun stops it from freezing to the ice making it very slippery.
And if its on a tiny slope it will move.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Ok, so the student video has the actual grave in it. It looks to me like the top is off the grave in the video. Also, the grave is surrounded by many other graves and above-ground crypts in the middle of the graveyard.
How could the stone move amongst such a conglomeration of immovable objects? It is not on smooth ground so to speak.
This mystery is getting deeper all the time.
If it wasn't for the police report saying the stone moves by itself I might have suggested desecration by someone who didn't like the fellow for his sexuality.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

I don't think it's such a mystery, according to the police the footage showed the stone just sliding of all of a sudden, in a few seconds.

It happened 4 times before. You saw the grave, the edges that the stone rests on are very smooth, if there is a slight angle, there are lot's of factors that could make it start sliding.

Like others pointed out, heat changes, ice forming, wind, soil movement.

I'm all for a good ghost story, but this isn't one, imo.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Maybe he was a descendant of Jesus? I see posibilities for a whole Dan Brown book around the topic: was Jesus gay?

If jesus was gay he wouldn't have any descendants. And no - I don't see evidence that Jesus was gay and I don't see evidence that he had any children.

Well shave my legs and call me grandpa. You've made a couple of sharp and insightfull remarks there. Kudo's for you!

Have you ever heared of sarcasm and humor? Go look it up in the wiki if you like.

By the way, my uncle produced 4 childeren before he told my aunt that he'd rather have a male friend and he'has always been gay, but just has been afraid to come out for it. If that was because of my aunt is another question. She wasn't a very friendly woman. Just goes to show that a gay man can reproduce.

/sarcasm mode on
And by the way, Dan Brown has proven that Jesus had a child. Tom Hanks is her uncle.
/sarcasm mode off

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This reminds me of the moving rocks in Death Valley.

They break off the hills you see in the background. Their tracks vary in length, going every which way from zig-zags to loops; some double back on themselves. Some travel only a few feet; others go for hundreds of yards, yet they can be right next to each other, and right next to some that don't move at all.

www.anomalies-unlimited.com...

[img]

[img][URL=http://imageshack.us]
[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/img26/movingrockju5.jpg/1/]

I know nothing about geology but my guess is it has something do do with magnetics.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by ben420]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ben420

Those sliding rocks in Death Valley are great. Still no explanation?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join