It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cats out of the bag on Iraq

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
So I am watching the Daily Show the other night (Feb 10th). And John Stuart is interviewing Thomas E Ricks

Special military corespondent for the Washington post and best selling author of Fiasco (assigned reading for officers going to Iraq)

The interview goes on to mention a quote from Ambassador Crocker on the last page of Mr Ricks new book.(The Gamble)

Quote as follows "Said to me twice in Iraq The events for which the Iraq war will be remembered. Have not yet happened."

When he said this you could have heard a pin drop. The audience was absolutely silent for about 5 seconds.

Spooky Hugh?

I like the source on this its very credible.
Thanks for the link jtma508
www.thedailyshow.com...
[edit on 18-2-2009 by foremanator]

[edit on 18-2-2009 by foremanator]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I am trying to find a clip on you tube.
I thought someone would have posted it already.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I found it

watch.ctv.ca...

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Hmmm... won't play. says 'not available in your region'. Guess the U.S. PTB don't want us seeing this.

OK... this one works:

Jon Stewart

[edit on 18-2-2009 by jtma508]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
That is Ominous...

Any speculation on the implication here?

Either way - very good catch!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
Hmmm... won't play. says 'not available in your region'. Guess the U.S. PTB don't want us seeing this.

OK... this one works:

Jon Stewart

[edit on 18-2-2009 by jtma508]

Yeah Thanks
I guess there is a another site for American viewers.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthMagnet
That is Ominous...

Any speculation on the implication here?

Either way - very good catch!

I think that is a way of saying things are going to heat up in the middle east

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Wow! Great catch. So, how "credible" is this author?

I fear that he is telling the truth though. My gut does not state that we are anywhere near out of the woods. I only fear that the US will be dragged in further by bad past policies and resentment of those past policies (I am hoping there are no more of these in the future). Israel and Iran appear that they may be closer to the threshold of a war than the past skirmishes. See this post for why Israel and Iran may be closer to war than you think. The recent events in Pakistan are disturbing. Afghanistan seems to be deteriorating more everyday.

The people of this region seem to have an affinity towards terrorism. Any talks of diplomacy are either nonexistent or are off the table due to past "bad policies". We have generations of people who have been raised in a terrorist prone environment and so they do not see they are already standing in boiling water.

What is going to be the spark that lights the fuse on this region which will trigger WWIII? IMHO it will be oil restrictions and inflation of the price of oil.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I couldnt agree more Amaxium
I have always believed that the war in Iraq and Afghanistan is nothing more than a war to control the worlds energy supply.
Once "we" have it locked down "we" will be able to exert total economic power over most of Asia.
Honestly if we were not there now "they" would be there now.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by foremanator
I found it

watch.ctv.ca...

Not available in your region
Sorry, the video you are trying to watch is not available in your region.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
it gets more and more eerie when you play that 7 second segment over and over and over again
::shudders::

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Ah, maybe this means there is a stargate after all? That would be noteworthy indeed!

No. Seriously. Very creepy here...

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by foremanator

Quote as follows "Said to me twice in Iraq The events for which the Iraq war will be remembered. Have not yet happened."

He was obviously referring to Iraq being a peaceful, stable democracy in the Middle East.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
so what could it be

iran launching a nuke or something?

iran fighting with al-queda

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Thedailyshow.com seems to be undergoing maintenance at the moment, and the ctv link gives me "unavailable" in this region.

Odd sense of timing there.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Im in the UK and the only link that works is the dailyshow one which in turn tells me to F-OFF your in the wrong region, WTF, anyone else got a link to this on googletube?

I dare say the events for which the "war" will be rememberd havent taken place yet either, to be fair to date not a great deal of "war" has taken place from my point of view just a bit of too'ing and fro'ing with "insurgents" and the likes, not to forget a bit of cave hunting and the inevitable capture and murder of Sadam.

Sooner it happens the sooner it will be over, if were lucky.

Back to topic, anyone want to post a link that isnt dead or non international?

[edit on 18/2/2009 by phushion]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
A war that will kill 1/3 of mankind.
???

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I caught that show and the comment. Jon did appear to be amiss, speechless, for a moment.

There is the potential, that some time in the near future, the Bush "Axis of evil" claim may be declared more relevant than previously considered. Did I recently hear something about Iran entering into the space race and that Kim Jong Il was about to test fire a new missile with at least a second stage booster on it? I hope I'm wrong about all that, at least I hope I'm wrong in thinking that something really bad is about to happen.

Maybe they are going to dig up some really cool and historically significant artifacts or structures.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Heres a link for that show on Hulu. Which i usually watch the daily show and the colbert report the day after its on comedy central. For some reason they haven't uploaded any vids this week. The whole interview is after the second commercial break (little white dot on the play bar). The actual comment is at 20:33 and its also the final quote in Thomas Ricks book, The Gamble.

Daily Show Thomas Ricks Episode

There ya go,

Silver

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I saw that show, and remember the comment.

As I interpreted it, he was essentially saying that, despite any talk of withdrawal and 'ending the war', it's going to be a long, protracted affair that lasts though Obama's presidency, and beyond.

The quote, if I remember correctly, was that 'the events that the Iraq War will be remembered for haven't even happened yet'. Indicating that we're not at the end of the debacle, but only the beginning. The orchestra's still warming up.

Part of Steward's speechlessness at that comment can be attributed to the fact that this was the last line of the interview, and it's a hell of a line to drop on an audience right before you wrap things up with a happy book plug and cut to commercial. I think he was looking for a 'good out-line' at that point. He finally settled on being absolutely honest, and saying something like "I usually like to end an interview on a happy note, but I guess that'll just have to do".

It was an interesting interview. Because of it, I unfortunately now have an image in my head of an American commander singing 'R-E-S-P-E-C-T' in a field HQ somewhere. That doesn't help.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join