It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

does anyone else hate mobile phones?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Yep I'm one of the minority that"shock-horror!"does'nt own a mobile.I c'ant stand the damn things and I have never understood the can't live without one mentality that seems to have affected society right throughout the world.Have people been brainwashed or what! You walk down any street and everyone is texting away--It's like a drug.I appreciate that certain professions do need them but to listen to some of the drivel being spoken on the wretched things in supermarkets and the like makes me laugh.I wonder if they'll still be a fashion accessory in 10 years time when the brain tumours could well materialize?Anyone else feel the same? I'm guessing that probably most people on ATS will disagree with me but even one reply that agrees would be nice.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I'm with you.

I hate cell phones...always have.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Hey way to go -at least I got that one reply that agrees with me!I am NOT alone after all.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I don't have one either. I even worked briefly for one of Canada's largest cell phone providers. The whole place could not understand why I did not have one. Needless to say that job only lasted a few months.

I can's stand them. My wife doesn't have one either. And there is no way in hell my kids will either until they are fully grown and make that decision for themselves.

Oh yeah, my sister in law doesn't have one either. There are more us us than we think.

J.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
No, I love them, especially when people use them when they're driving and they're totally oblivious to what's going on around them.

Peace

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
A necessary evil unfortunately

I'm not a huge fan... but i honestly couldn't imagine not having one now

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Every one I work with has one. They'll sit there texting all the time while I'm busting my butt working in the kitchen. My store even had a meeting and it was said, "No cell phones in the kitchen"! Did my co workers listen? No. Did my manager listen? No.
I don't own one, so I bust my ass in the kitchen while they're texting away about this and that. Funny thing is, most of them get paid more then I do.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Slash

Like I say-this texting thing is like a drug,and I'm real sorry you're obviously being taken advantage of at work.Unbelievable that your work mates ca'nt do a shift without hitting the buttons! Have people lost the will one wonders to speak face to face?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I like having a cell phone, it makes it easier with the kids. The texting does get mad but it is a great way to keep in touch with far away people.

When I don't want to be bothered I turn it off or put it on vibrate. Voice mail is handy.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I guess I'm one of the addicts, although I do hate actually conversing on the phone. I'm obsessed with my IPhone, absolutely obsessed, although it is probably more for the multimedia aspect than the actual cell-phone use.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Blogstalker

From a security angle I can see your point to keep tabs on your kids, but from a spelling point of view I think mobiles are extremely bad for your children also.In the uk a lot of our kids are leaving school with terrible spelling skills and I do blame textspeak for part of this.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I've got a couple, but I can barely use them. I've made a point of only learning the basics.

My ex-employer foisted one on me and it made me feel as if I was on the end of a long rope that she could just yank whenever she felt like it.

I love going out without one and knowing I'm free to do whatever I like without being 'on call' to anyone.

Having said that, I appreciate them when I want to get hold of someone. And that brings me on to the other thing I hate about them. What's the point of people carrying these things about and failing to switch them on or not bothering to answer?

Everyone knows I leave mine at home but if a person makes a point of carrying one they should at least answer it.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

Exactly.... i have so many songs, photos, films and stuff on my phone...it's barely a phone

It rocks as a portable media device.... but a phone??
I hardly use it for that

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Nope, don't have one, don't want one, don't need one, don't like them.

Good when you don't wear a watch though.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

I haven't worn a watch since i was a kid!!
hate em....

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Me either, don't like watches. Between the clock in the car and the cell phone I am all set.

I do have to agree with the poster that said if you carry one at least answer it. The story of my life sometimes, three other people in the house with cells and no one answers. :shk:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Blogstalker

I hate that too....

Grrrr and you know they can't be bothered cos I've been sat with people and they look at their phone and go "Meh...can't be bothered"...

And then you try and ring them another time and they don't answer.... grrrrrrr

Definitely answer it if you got it!!!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Caller id doesn't help either..."it's just mom, i'll call later"

Hey you OP you trying to make me hate cell phones too.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I love cell phones....

But people's cell manners? That's a different story...

Some personal rules...

1. If you are driving, driving comes first.
2. People in your physical presence take precedence over anyone on the phone (except in an emergency) (and even then you apologize and excuse yourself).
3. Nobody wants to hear your private conversations...if the conversation would embarass you out loud, then move somewhere private to have the conversation.
4. Same rules apply for texting and one should never text and drive...
5. Bluetooths are the rudest invention on the planet...try to use one only in the car, or when really working with your hands, otherwise, you simply look pretentious (and we can't tell if you're talking to us or someone else)...

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I'll come straight out and say it. I can't live without my cellphone.
Or, more importantly, I cannot live without texting on my cellphone.
I mean, seriously, why wouldn't you want to be able to converse with your friends or acquaintances or whomever?

It's just convience in your (or, by the looks of it, just my) pocket. And though some people may be too stubborn to accept it, convenience is almost all-important these days.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join