It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY cartoon appears to link Obama to dead chimp

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
most who'll find this amusing are neither funny nor creative.
the times have once again shown poor judgement.
it is a known fact that during the campaign, many characterized obama as chimp...which was racist.
for this newspaper to do also, shows their mindset.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

The important point (at least in my mind) is that this is unbelievably offensive and represents a new low in political coverage and/or satire.

Thats just it though. It only seems to be offensive when it happens to Democrats. When Republicans are getting the same treatment, its dismissed as patriotic dissidence. I'm not accusing you of that hypocrisy, because I don't know what stance you took during the Bush administration. When it comes to the US media though, its as hypocritical as it gets.

I agree that its offensive, but lets be consistent here.

[edit on 18-2-2009 by Kyūzō]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
represents a new low in political coverage and/or satire.

No it doesn't.

Political coverage has been this low for a long time now.

Apparently Obama has made people more "sensitive" to it though.

This isn't new.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Why I think I am the only one that is disturbed about the fact it has been shot? Obama been represented as monk is not what catch my attention... but to be shot

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I believe this is just a case of people reading more into the cartoon than there actually is. No where in the cartoon or the caption does Obama's name appear. Also, I doubt Obama wrote the stimulus bill. Like the rest of Congress, he probably hasn't read the whole 1100 pages either. The lobbyists and special interests groups didn't get the legislation wrote quick enough for them to actually know what was in it.

link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I guess I can see the racists side of this. I took it as more along the lines that we have a bunch of monkeys running the country at least that's how I feel most of the time anyways.

I think that is a bit of a misnomer as well. Consider that our leaders are depicted in such a fashion to garner the apathy of a public that is displeased with the situation and can't do anything about it. Giving them an irrational outlet to dismiss politics and politicians is a very subtle and clever ploy (in my opinion) to re-direct attention from where thought and focus need be placed - the numbers and the business relationships.

But by all means...let's assume that all politicians are stupider than the American public and that a party distinction is the end all be all to the validity of an individual...

link   
reply to post by skeptic1

As I said, I find it offensive, but again, I'm not going to be particularly sympathetic when its the same behavior that the ones complaining have condoned for the last eight years.

Now, everyone is acting all offended over this? Give me a break.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackcube
Why I think I am the only one that is disturbed about the fact it has been shot? Obama been represented as monk is not what catch my attention... but to be shot

Its supposed to be the chimp that was shot yesterday after a rampage. Which isn't in very good taste either, because apparently it ripped off a woman's face.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
But none of this is ever in good taste is it?

This is no better than the attacks on Bush by the media for the last 8 years. It's no better than the things said about Palin during the election.

It's also no worse.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Don't give me that. You know as well as I do that the depiction of the chimp being shot is a play on the news story from yesterday.

Its not right, its offensive, but again, I ask...you're only outraged now? This type of thing has been going on for the better part of a decade.

[edit on 18-2-2009 by vor78]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
But none of this is ever in good taste is it?

I completely agree with you. The people who are up in arms now, were most likely dismissive of the same stuff under Bush. We know for sure the media is hypocritical as hell on this.

[edit on 18-2-2009 by Kyūzō]

link   
reply to post by Djarums

reminds me of the Tarzan novels where they replaced black people with chimps,
dont see how they would justify it in the first place before sending it to print,

link   
So because there were cartoons comparing Bush's facial expressions to that of a chimp, this is ok?

The thing that is missing is that those cartoons did not depict the subject of the cartoon to have been shot dead.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

MemoryShock, you and the OP can get off your high horses, sir. For one, the cartoon does not directly imply that the chimp = Obama. It doesn't even imply that the chimp = any member of Congress. If you think it does maybe that's because you still have a problem will partisan politics. While Obama is trying to move on to a more unified administration, people like you and the OP are clearly holding his ideals back with your wild accusations.

The cartoon clearly implies that even a chimpanzee could have written what was in the stimulus package and now that the chimp is dead, they're going to have to find another monkey to do the dirty work. That's it. That's all it implies. If you see more to it than that I would say it's a reflection of personal issues that you, yourself have. Perhaps some counseling would help?

On another note, you can argue that this administration is different, the people are different, blah blah blah blah blah but the fact is if this were a political cartoon about killing Bush you would probably be laughing it up or finding some means to justify it, so I'll thank you not to play the wounded advocate.

[edit on 18-2-2009 by sos37]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
You make a valid point the fact that the chimp was killed is offensive. Both scary in the context of the president as well as to the chimp who didn't ask to live amongst humans. However I don't see a racist bias at all.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
So because there were cartoons comparing Bush's facial expressions to that of a chimp, this is ok?

The thing that is missing is that those cartoons did not depict the subject of the cartoon to have been shot dead.

Did you miss the movies and T-shirts I posted? This and other merchandise was sold. Along with a movie.

We're not saying previous treatment makes it ok, but its nothing new. The same stuff happened under Bush and none you of cared. Why do you expect us to care now? Why the double standard?

link   

Originally posted by vor78
Don't give me that. You know as well as I do that the depiction of the chimp being shot is a play on the news story from yesterday.

I'll thank you to not assume that you know what I know based on a post or two...

The stimulus quote makes it more than evident that the 'play' is off the Obama Administration's pushing of said bill...not just the chimp story.

link   

Originally posted by nyk537
A good point Irish M1ck, a good point.

Although I think most people would assume that it is Obama.
Why would any rational person Assume it's Barack Obama? I certainly didn't, and I deplore him. Do you honestly think he wrote that 1100 page monstrosity all by himself?

I guess we no longer believe in freedom of speech in this country anymore. If someone has a different opinion or idea, let's censor them lest someone's feeling be hurt..

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I am divided about this.

On the one hand, many many times has bush been shown as a chimp, so on that note, it is perfectly acceptable to show Obama as one also.

On the other-hand, (IMO) showing the president being shot is questionable at best.

I know it is illegal to threaten the president, I remember many people being arrested over that kind of pic/story durning Bushes time.
By those rules, the cartoonist need get the same punishment.

I mean, it seems to me to be suggesting obama will or should be shot, "THAT" is a direct threat to the president of the US, like him or not.

Where is the line between free speech and a threat to the presidents life???

Any lawyers on the board can hopefully clear that issue up, please.

This was just brought to my attention, it had not occured to me.

Is that cartoon treason???

Lets look at the definition and see.

a crime that undermines the offender's government
disloyalty by virtue of subversive behavior
treachery: an act of deliberate betrayal

Google

A cartoon showing what is clearly meant to be President Obama shot dead sure seems like disloyal/subversive behavior to me.

[edit on 2/18/2009 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
I am divided about this.

On the one hand, many many times has bush been shown as a chimp, so on that note, it is perfectly acceptable to show Obama as one also.

Please show me where this cartoon says the chimp = Obama? I missed it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join