It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY cartoon appears to link Obama to dead chimp

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
There was no association of Obama and this shooting of the monkey. Although I do think Obama is a baboon on a rampage with our tax dollars. In fact I think that's insulting the baboon....

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
you all are clearly doing everything in ur power to deny the raceist implecations of this. black folks have been degraded through out history, been called monkeys. to make us feel like we are not human and not on the same level as whites. i bet the same people who are defending this has no race related meaning to it are the same folks who defended the obama food stamp as being none racist joke as well. but u all dont look at it from a black person point of view. you all think why should they be offended they should have a sense of humor. its offensive to us the majority of the black population on so many levels. i am younge i have never been a slave. but i have been called a porch monky, a 'n-word', and so many other hate filled names. just to degrade me for the color of the skin i have. by white folks. so it is wrong to depict our first black president as monky let alone one being shot. to those who want to try and say he isent black your wrong to. back in the day the old raciest rednecks made a one drop rule. if u had one drop of black blood in u u were black. im sure many of u who say he isent black will still call him a 'n-word' behind his black. get over it we got a black president deal with it. the world is changeing and the racist around the world that are afraid of that change need to go hide in their back woods some were. on one note im glad alot of this racial bs is comming out. it proves to all those who thought racism is gone and that american politics are equal, it proves them all wrong. racism has just been hiding its ugly head and now it resurfaceing. we got a black president. we got a negro president. we got a negro president with a islamic name. if u dont like leave..........

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
And comparing members of Congress to dead chimps that had to be killed is less offensive?

I don't know why people are coming up with answers that this is ok based on who it's about or based on what has transpired in the past.

The important point (at least in my mind) is that this is unbelievably offensive and represents a new low in political coverage and/or satire.

Have you ever seen older political cartoons? It's hardly a modern phenomena, I don't find the cartoon offensive...it's unnecessary, but not offensive in the slightest.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Many times i've seen Bush portrayed as a monkey simply to show "simplicity" period. It's a joke. it's not racial.

politicalhumor.about.com...
politicalhumor.about.com.../XJ/Ya&sdn=politicalhumor&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bushorchimp.com
my2 cents

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

Looking at the cartoon, one thing that caught my eye was a sign attached to the pole behind the officers. Supposed to alledgedly say "Beware of Dog", the 'E' in 'beware' is left out, and the caption obscures some of the other wording, so that what seems to pop out is "War Dog". Anyone else notice this. I don't know if was intentional or not, but it certainly is coincendental, to say the least.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I'm sorry but if anyone sees this as racist they are an idiot...as the other poster said that Bush was also portrayed as a chimp many times in cartoons and what not. Many people of different colors who have done stupid things have been compared to chimps. Let me just say this, Al Sharpton is the true chimp. He sees everything as racist towards the black race...I truly have no respect for him. Another thing if you do take the cartoon literally...Obama did not write the bill himself, people wrote it for him and it's not all his ideas...so the chimp may portray a group of people perhaps...

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Update on the story...

www.cnn.com...

In a brief phone interview with CNN, Delonas called the controversy "absolutely friggin' ridiculous."

"Do you really think I'm saying Obama should be shot? I didn't see that in the cartoon," Delonas told CNN.

"It's about the economic stimulus bill," he added.

Col Allan, the Post's editor-in-chief, said Wednesday that the cartoon "is a clear parody of a current news event."

"It broadly mocks Washington's efforts to revive the economy. Again, Al Sharpton reveals himself as nothing more than a publicity opportunist," Allan said in a written statement.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

Ahhh Al Sharpton......hope that artist makes a cartoon of Al Sharpton in the near future.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Planet of the Apes came out in the 60s. Pretty sure there was plenty of racism in the 60s.

Why is it you guys appear to have the right to decide what is racist and what isn't? It's not about intent. Its about perception. Blacks have been referred to as primates(all sorts) in negative and demeaning ways. That is why the toon can be perceived as racist. Not realizing that is a slap in the face to those who try to rid the world of racism.

Sonsofanarchy is name calling really necessary? Is that all you got?

Again I say to all of you, Ask any black person if calling them a monkey is racist.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ScRuFFy63

Name calling?? Where??

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonsOfAnarchy
I'm sorry but if anyone sees this as racist they are an idiot...

I say the toon can be viewed as racist so that makes me an idiot right?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Unfortunately yea...
but I don't understand how you can still see it as racist...have you read all these responses??? people have used monkeys to portray stupid people for many years it's nothing new...they make a big deal because Obama is black...if you fail to see beyond the color of his skin then you must be the one with a racist mind...the artist clearly wasn't aiming to have this cartoon portray racism or else he probably would be fired...

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Unfortunately yea...
but I don't understand how you can still see it as racist...have you read all these responses??? people have used monkeys to portray stupid people for many years it's nothing new...they make a big deal because Obama is black...if you fail to see beyond the color of his skin then you must be the one with a racist mind...the artist clearly wasn't aiming to have this cartoon portray racism or else he probably would be fired...

Calling people, you don't know, idiots is ignorant. I wrote a bunch of them so yes I read them. While it may be true that monkeys have been used to portray stupid people it's also true that they have been used to portray black people. It's really that simple.

Just because I point out that it could be viewed as racist does not mean I have a "racist mind" whatever that means. Again, It's not about intent it's about perception and an artist for a paper should realize that.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   

It is about perception but obviously the first time if you look at it and right away think "Oh, thats racist" then you yourself must not see black people as equal or perhaps you think they are monkeys. That's what I meant of a racist mind. I'll agree it was quite ignorant of me to say the whole idiot thing but I just meant in terms of perceiving this cartoon, not in general because obviously I do not know any of these people in person.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SonsOfAnarchy

NO, I believe you are correct in your assertion that people that find this racist are idiots. Ofcourse they will deny it and make you feel guilty for saying it, but they truly are idiots. I will add that Eric Holder is right about this country still having a huge problem with race relations but I will point out the obvious, it's not white people that are the problem, not anymore.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Is there really this much discussion going on over a CARTOON?? The world will be a better place one day when you people learn to just laugh and move on. The reason this cartoon is "racist" or whatever you guys want to call it, is because you're the ones that are bringing it up in the first place.

This is OBVIOUSLY saying that the people that wrote this bill were about as intelligent as a monkey... whether they were white, black, male, female, gay, straight, bald, hairy, ugly, pretty, tall, short, skinny, fat, etc....

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SonsOfAnarchy

I don't see your logic. Let me get this straight if I say "that toon is racist" then I don't see black people as equal? I just don't see how you come to that conclusion.

Sheeper
So you say black people are the current cause of race-relation problems in the US. Lets say blacks completely forget about slavery most from today weren't there anyway. How do you expect blacks to forget about racism? Racism never ended, it just slowed down quite a bit I might add. But while black youths may not care how can you expect the older black generation to forget what they have seen their whole life?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Okay I will try to simplify this...You look at the cartoon, you see a monkey being shot by police, right away you decide it is not funny and that the monkey portrays a black person, the black person that you assume they are talking about is Obama...therefore you right away jump to the conclusion that the cartoon is racist. Okay now?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Okay I will try to simplify this...You look at the cartoon, you see a monkey being shot by police, right away you decide it is not funny and that the monkey portrays a black person, the black person that you assume they are talking about is Obama...therefore you right away jump to the conclusion that the cartoon is racist. Okay now?

Yeah...it's the next part that I don't quite understand. You jump to the conclusion that the cartoon is racist so now you don't view blacks as equal? where does that last part come into play. Wouldn't the direct opposite be true. The toon would bother some people b/c they feel they are equal.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join