It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off to car heaven: Saturn, Saab, Hummer (and Pontiac)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irish M1ck

Have you ever been to Europe? Lowering the speed limit won't change anything, and I can't even see how you could crack down on DUI's more without ruining innocent people's lives.

In 1974, america lowered speed limits to 55 and immediately the annual highway death toll went from 55k to 46k. Case closed.

What's wrong with ruining the lives of DUIs? They are killers and maimers and literally a thousand times bigger threat to you and your family than all the terrorists the gover-media has brainwashed you into fearing.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I am sooo happy that finally all of those ugly cars will no longer exist.
Saturns and Pontiacs I really don't care much for them, Hummers make me barf a little everytime I see one, I can never imagine what people were thinking when they decided to buy that car.

The only one I'm sorry to see go away is the SAAB. It has always been a very good car but I feel that the brand was mismanaged ever since it went to GM.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Make Speed Limit 45

As you lower the limit further and further, you start infringing into responsible people's lives. That is what is wrong with it.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Foppezao
reply to post by Raud

In understand that 50% used to be owned by the wallenberg family is there a possibility they can buy that back[although for a much lesser price?IMO i think the government should otherwise, that brand is an institute and your government has a surplus in the balance[of payments]
Cant those people also work at other Scania or aircraft plants?
It really saddens me to see this brand go[if so], I really like the new 95 series, not to mention the AeroX
[edit on 18-2-2009 by Foppezao]

Hehe, for as long as until just recently, my parents have stopped buying SAAB. I remember them all, the old SAAB 90, the durable 900, then the crappy 9000 series...
Now they drive VW Passat, better choice, all aspects considered...

For the Wallenbergs I don't know really. I have never heard of that, but it might just be that way. But if they sold it off to GM there was a reason for it.

Yes, we do have a surplus, but I would rather see that surplus go to something useful. Not a microscopic brand of cars that have not ever shown decent profit during the entire course of its existance.

I think Scania is on its knees as well.
But the largest part of SAAB Technologies, the one dealing with weapon systems (Celsius) and the JAS and so on, are having business as usual.

But you can not convert the car industry into something else, just like that. It will take years and years to do something useful out of it.
Lots of people will go unemployed, that is just the cold hard facts.
We were warned at the end of last year that about 150.000 jobs will be lost during 2009. That is pretty hard on a population consistent out of roughly 9 million...

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

Yes my 1979 Pontiac Firebird!
Large block 400, bored 30 over, racing modified, original honey comb rims, and it wraps the needle around past 100 and up to 30 again with still more go! I was running out of street really quick so had to slow down and stop. Even though it didn't want to.

I'm glad I don't own any newer vehicles I love the oldies, they are better. I'll hit your plastic crap car, truck or suv any day. My steel one will win every time, be it my bird or 79 cherokee, which by the way weighs 2 1/2 tons.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
You know, I’ve long wondered about the relevance of brands like Olds, Pontiac and Buick. For decades now they’ve just been upgraded Chevy’s with a bit of cosmetic differentiation. Same goes for Ford-Mercury, or Dodge-Plymouth-Chrysler. It’s all just marketing shtick.

I feel the need to go hug my 66 Riviera with the 465 Wildcat big block. It’s 425 ci of pure American dream. 20 feet long and 4500 lbs. 360 HP (understated for insurance reasons) and 465 ft/lbs of torque. Last of the nail heads. Hopefully, the Buick brand will survive.

What really galls me is that the uber-rich who engineered this whole financial debacle will actually profit from it. I pray to be allowed to be present when they stand before God.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I love my Saab and will be sorry to see them out of business. I hope spare parts remain available for years to come.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Wouldn't it be a nice contest on universities and companies in the US to build the strongest and cleanest V6[no muscle V8 with a hole in the hood], so that they can begin building sophisticated engines and follow in the footsteps of BMW and such brands..

[edit on 19-2-2009 by Foppezao]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
GM should have done this years ago. What is the point in making the same exact car and then putting 3 different logos on it? A total waste of manpower and resources.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by crw2006

What's wrong with you, dude!

Can't you see they are defending "The American Way"

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by crw2006

Saab is nothing like other GM cars. Are you kidding?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I love the Corvette. I had a Corvette. I will have one again....
I am Jay Leno, and I love cars......

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Foppezao

Saab gone to the scrapyard in the sky? No way, this has got to be a joke? Saab? They still make good cars even if they are Vauxhall/Opel based. They did make amazing cars. The 900 Turbo......................... wow! What a car. I just gave up buying these old beasts and swapped to Toyota MR2s, but those old Saabs were built like tanks. Great history behind them, a bit quirky and different from the standard Eurobox. Saab surely will live on. In a 900 book it says something like, whoever builds it the spirit will live on. That was written when GM bought the brand!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

My Dad....rest his soul...was an Oldsmobile lover. We went to Colorado, from LA, to buy his dream car....a 1974 Oldsmobile 98. It was 'cinamon', with a beige leather interior. I asked him to put the digital clock, as an option, into the dashboard.

He let me, a sixteen year-old barely licensed kid, drive it, part of the way from Colorado Springs, back to LA.

My Dad did a lot for me....

The best car I ever owned was a 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass.....fond, fond memories there. My Dad found it, and bought it for me....

Saab, I believe, is owned by GM now.....they've already shuttered Oldsmobile, Pontiac is sure to go as well....

Times change.....memories live on.......

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

My first car was an 85 cutlass supreme, 2 door, half vinyl top, v6. Loved it, was fast but times change, occasionaly I still see an "Olds" on the road and smile.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irish M1ck

Have you ever been to Europe? Lowering the speed limit won't change anything, and I can't even see how you could crack down on DUI's more without ruining innocent people's lives.

What are you on such a crusade for?

Why? In Europe you basically drive as fast as your car can make it without breaking apart!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I used to have a H2 Hummer and I LOVED it! I sold it about 2 years ago now, when gas was in the low $2.00's. The dealer bought it from me at a very decent price. I was thrilled to have sold it when I did, because now you can't give them away.

But I really did love the hummer - it was a totally cool car in my opinion!
But I was also glad to see it go when I did sell it, due to it being a gas guzzler and not so planet earth friendly.

I will be sad to see the Hummer brand go, because they are awesome cars. I wish I would have been able to get it on some alternative fuels.

If some alternative fuels ever come out, that could go in an H2 - then I will be one of the first in line to get one to convert it!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Well...glad you liked your H2.....personally, to me, it was ugly as sin.

I'd rather see a Ferrari or a Lambourgini on road!!! Gee, even a Lexus or an Audi S5 is better looking than a boxy Hummer!!!

Did i mention, yet....that Hummers are UGLY?

Sorry.....had to state an opinion....will follow with Hummers are UGLY!!!!

Saturns....wow, hare to see that line go!

If you see my other posts, you'd know that I'm a Oldsmobile guy......like Cadillacs too...and, my Lexus....Had a Nissan, and two Accords....so, I've run the gamut.

Saab? never driven nor ridden in one....they always looked ugly, to me....funny (no hint to the Swedes) because, the Swedes are known to design such nice stuff!!! Saabs...uh uh......

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foppezao
Wouldn't it be a nice contest on universities and companies in the US to build the strongest and cleanest V6[no muscle V8 with a hole in the hood], so that they can begin building sophisticated engines and follow in the footsteps of BMW and such brands..

[edit on 19-2-2009 by Foppezao]

The 2010 Camaro will have 300 HP and will get 30+ MPG highway. It is also drop dead gorgeous with throwback '69 styling. Works for me!

www.chevrolet.com...

reply to post by weedwhacker

God bless your father WW, god rest his soul. I hope you know how fortunate you are.

I learned to drive at age 10 on my grandfathers pasture in his '53 5-window GMC pickup with the 6 banger and three on the tree. A worse tranny linkage has never been conceived of.

The only memory I have to match it is getting his '54 Winchester single shot .22 bolt action rifle as my first gun, and bringing home a squirrel for my grandmother the same day. She liked squirrel brains with her scrambled eggs. She dipped snuff too. The old white stuff, not the modern garbage.
I happily tended her gardens every summer, knowing what delicious treats I would receive in reward. The scars I got from the stickers of her boysenberry patch were no match for the cobbler she produced from them. She also made a dessert she called 'butter rolls'. Homemade pastry dough rolled up with sugar and cinnamon and covered in butter. Heaven and a heat attack in a casserole dish.

Well I seem to have digressed quite a bit. In summation, America rocks! Or did.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Hummers were supposed to be ugly. The idea was to make them look "utilitarian" and "tough," which people don't normally associate with "hot sexy car."

GM's problem wasn't too many brands. It's building cars that suck. Nobody drives their Cavalier to 150,000 miles, but people do it with Toyotas all the time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join