It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As Goes California, So Goes America

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Schwarzenegger says he will not reopen budget talks

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said today that he would not re-open broad negotiations over the state budget -- despite the demand of the new Republican leader in the Senate to remove proposed tax increases -- and told lawmakers to "hold tight" in the effort to win passage of a $41 billion package.

"I know it's a difficult budget," Schwarzenegger said. "The legislators are tired. They have spent nights here, but we are still one vote short. We are going to find that one vote. I want to encourage the legislators to do everything they can and just hold tight and to go and to pass this budget. Never give up."

www.sacbee.com...

It looks like the Gov is going to hold out for the tax hike.............ooooowwweee..........what a mess

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky
It looks like the Gov is going to hold out for the tax hike.............ooooowwweee..........what a mess

It looks like Governor Arnold is a big fake.

He ran a campaign to cut taxes and cut wasteful spending. I guess Conan and the Terminator is nothing compared to a teacher's union boss.

Governor Davis was recalled for less then what Arnold is allowing for right now.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

You cant win the votes of the iditos without spending a lot of money on stupid things.

Arnold isnt so much a fake as his constituents are gullible imbeciles.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Dang, I really hoped McClintock would have won the recall election. Things would have been so different.

But oh well, Arnold had to stick his big head in the race, use the anger built up against Davis added to his celebrity status and now we get this mess.

But yea, Californians are gullible. We sucker ourselves into all the celebrity causes such as global warming along with all the other PC crap then we wind up getting stuck with the bill to pay for all the state workers that enforce the crap on us.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Jobless calls cost state millions

Millions of failed calls to the state's unemployment insurance call centers are costing California taxpayers millions of real dollars.

The Employment Development Department pays 5 cents to Verizon each time a caller dials its toll-free numbers to file or get help with an unemployment insurance claim and EDD staff can't handle the call.

www.sacbee.com...

And there are some that still believe in the Government pulling them out............Time to wake up!!

Gov. says lawmakers resisting budget plan have 'math problem'

Schwarzenegger vows to stick with the bipartisan proposal, which includes $14.4 billion in tax increases.

www.latimes.com...

[edit on 18-2-2009 by Cloudsinthesky]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
They better hurry if they want the federal bailout money...

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- U.S. Sen. Barbara Boxer on Wednesday heightened the political drama of California's budget impasse by warning that the state could lose $5.8 billion from the federal stimulus package if its 15-week deadlock drags on.

online.wsj.com...

Whats a few billion here or there anyway?

Vote quick so we can get that money before some other poor state gets it!

My god y'all our country is beginning to fall apart one state at a time.

What a nightmare.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by wutone

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Dang, I really hoped McClintock would have won the recall election. Things would have been so different.

But oh well, Arnold had to stick his big head in the race, use the anger built up against Davis added to his celebrity status and now we get this mess.

But yea, Californians are gullible. We sucker ourselves into all the celebrity causes such as global warming along with all the other PC crap then we wind up getting stuck with the bill to pay for all the state workers that enforce the crap on us.

If this passes I guarantee a great many people who recalled Davis will NOT sleep until the recall of Arnold and other house/senate members is a done deal -- including the Republicans that will not oust Mike Villines as Rep leader for getting us into this crap deal to begin with.

We recalled Davis for less. McClintock might very well have another chance at being the Governor of California through a recall.

One of my last votes as a citizen of California before I take my middle class income and taxes to another state will be to recall ALL as many of these idiots as humanly possible.

I was considering buying a home here now as the places deflated to affordable levels. Not anymore. Now I'm looking to leave the state once my newborn is old enough to do so.

If this passes, say goodbye to my households $140,000 taxable income California!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
California lawmakers break impasse, pass budget

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California lawmakers approved a state budget package on Thursday to close a $42 billion deficit, ending a lengthy standoff with a slate of bills that aim to raise taxes, slash spending and increase borrowing.

www.reuters.com...

Pass the burden on to the people..............does this spell tax revolt?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The new tax hike will mean $1500.00 more taxes per person a year per Fox News.........

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Cash not flowing yet, Chiang says

No, the check's not in the mail. Legislative approval of a 17-month budget today will not spark immediate payment of $3.3 billion owed to taxpayers, contractors and local governments by the state.

www.sacbee.com...

But the Gov sure was smiling today

[edit on 19-2-2009 by Cloudsinthesky]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
California budget includes tax relief for film, TV shoots

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, a former movie actor, has been trying for years to get tax credits to keep California's signature industry at home.

He got his wish early Thursday when the Legislature approved tax credits for film and television productions as part of an economic stimulus provision of the new state budget.

I know how important the movie industry is to California, but how can you tax the people and give a tax break to any industry? Spend Spend Spend, Tax Tax Tax (the people) and Arnold rides off with a smile and a cigar!!

New state levies and fees will take a big bite out of the federal tax credit

That tax credit provided by the federal stimulus package may come just in time -- to pay for new levies imposed by the state of California.

A single person making less than $75,000 a year would take home an additional $400 per year under the federal plan passed by Congress, and a couple making less than $150,000 would get $800.

But under the new state budget that passed in Sacramento early
Thursday, Californians would lose nearly all of that to higher income and sales taxes and vehicle license fees.

"What the federal government is giving, our California government taketh away," said Eileen Brown, a manager for H&R Block Inc.

A family of four earning $100,000 could see their annual sales taxes increase by about $350, their income tax by $220, and their vehicle license fees by $110, according to state estimates.

www.latimes.com...

California counties still waiting for social service payments

"We don't know how long payments will be delayed, or if further delays are needed," said a Chiang spokesman, Garin Casaleggio.

www.sacbee.com...

[edit on 20-2-2009 by Cloudsinthesky]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
City of Sacramento considers cutting 429 positions

The layoffs - which would take place in the fiscal year starting July 1 - are among major cuts recommended by the city manager in all city departments. The cuts package will hashed out at a City Council budget workshop Tuesday night.

The city of Sacramento could slash 429 positions, including 297 that are filled, to close a $50 million budget gap, city officials said Friday.

Sure glad that budget was past..........but wait did they not hear they were getting $13.00 more a week....O' I forgot Arnold took that away in the budget.

In Murrieta, state budget meets with heated opposition

Residents in this largely conservative city in Riverside County fume over the passage of a California budget with billions in new taxes and say Republican lawmakers should have held out for more cuts.

"The Republicans should have stood their ground," fumed 70-year-old Tony Dragonetti. "Abel Maldonado is sick, and so are the other Republicans who voted for this. They give the you-owe-me crowd everything they need, but the poor slob who is working day after day paying taxes gets nothing."

I am sure disguss is spreading

[edit on 21-2-2009 by Cloudsinthesky]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Driving through California today I heard on the radio that the state is already warning farmers that they may not get any water this summer and cities may have to adhere to strict water rationing.

Shasta lake is almost empty... They think they have fixed the budget for now... But this summer in California could be really bad on more than just the economic level.

[edit on 21-2-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

I think you're on to something.
If we are going to get out of this recession, it would be a good idea
if California LEADS the way.
We have $780 Billion to spend.
Lets pour $500 Billion into California.
$200 Billion in Tax Cuts nationwide.
$50 Billion NEW efficient U.S. Government vehicles (GM)
Post Office vehicles etc.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

How can they blame it on the GOP if most of the State happens to be die hard Liberals?
I'm sorry but this type of mismanagement doesn't happen over night, California seems to be in denial.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join