It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous Postings Conspiracy???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Ok, we've had the whole ATS=COINTELPRO thing for a long time and it's got its own thread. I have my own opinions about that, but this is something else...

Where are the anonymous postings disappearing to?

I know I'm not the only member who sees "last post - anonymous ATS" on their subscribed threads, only to pull up the thread and find nothing there. It's happening again and again. It's not even as if the posting's been edited for breaking ATS rules - they're just not there.

What's up with that?

If you want a conspiracy theory to go with it, how about this? Anonymous postings were introduced so people could post without having to sign in, which would mean a greater likelihood of insiders posting... but then someone at ATS (or even an outsider) hacks the post, removes it, and keeps the IP and MAC addresses for further investigation.

I've no doubt there's a perfectly logical explanation for the numbers of posts that go missing. I'd like to know what it is, though.

[edit on 18-2-2009 by rich23]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I think what's happening is this, all anonymous posts have to be approved by staff before they actually show on the thread, if a mod decides that their either off topic or not relevant they will not show. Hope this helps!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
The posts have to be reviewed by the Mods before they show up in the thread. They don't just automatically show up. And, if they never show up, that probably means that there was a problem with the post (T&Cs) and the Mods didn't allow it on the board.

Don't think there's a conspiracy in that.....

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
In that case, a surprisingly high proportion of Anonymous posts are getting pulled by the mods. I'd feel happier if they let them through so we can judge for ourselves.

Initially, I was unhappy about the whole idea of anonymous posts... but then I thought about it, and essentially we can all be anonymous if we want to - just set up a new ID, from a different computer, if you want to be sensible about it, and post until you're bored.

So why should anonymous posts be treated any differently? If they're insulting, leave enough stuff up there for us to make up our own minds about why they've been censored. I just think it's more transparent to do that.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by rich23

Could you imagine all of the absolute garbage that would clutter up perfectly good threads if the mods didn't have to preview the anony posts?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by rich23

Their board; their rules. That's what it boils down to.

And, if a person wants to post here, why not create an account?? Why hide behind "anonymous"?

And, personally, I appreciate the Mods keeping trash off the threads; they have a thankless job with that.

It is no conspiracy. Just trying to keep the flow of conversation and information free of posts that add nothing to either.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by rich23
In that case, a surprisingly high proportion of Anonymous posts are getting pulled by the mods.

A surprisingly high proportion of anonymous posts conflict with our Terms & Conditions. We've made it clear that those posting anonymously must still do so within the confines of our rules.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
Could you imagine all of the absolute garbage that would clutter up perfectly good threads if the mods didn't have to preview the anony posts?

Er... I don't have to... there's enough garbage around as it is. As I say, I wasn't thrilled with the Anon idea to start with, but now it's here, why treat the posts any differently?

I've yet to read further... I may get my answer in due course.

new topics

top topics

join