It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tracing WWI boats...not easy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Hi guys,

I'm pretty sure that this belongs here in this forum, if not, I'm sure it will be moved.

A strange thread here, but one that I was hoping someone - with out wealth of knowledge here mught be able to help me out with.

Does anyone know what the best way to track down a military ship from WWI would be?

I have a document with a name on it - it says SS Vortonian, but I have not been able to find a single thing out about this boat.

The reason I ask is that I've come across a mystery in a friend's family insomuch as legend has it that someone died on the Lusitania but I have found a document saying that they were on this SS Vortonian in 1917.

It's all very strange...how can there be no records or mention of a boat anywhere on the web?

Anyone any ideas or heard of it at all?

Peace,

MGGG

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Given that the ship in question sailed in World War I, it doesn't surprise me in the least that information is a bit sparse on the Web. It's not easy to find *good* information on ships that are a lot more famous, and a lot more recent. I've built enough models to know.

If the "SS Vortonian" was a combat vessel, you can try The Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships Online . Dig around there, and you can find ships as far back as the Civil War. If that doesn't get you what you need, a quick letter to The Department of the Navy might get something.

If she was a civilian vessel, you might try contacting the United States Coast Guard or The National Maritime Historical Society.

In any case, good luck...and now that you've made (some of) us curious, post back with anything you find.

join