It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sirius censored in Google Earth Sky-View

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

Because it's true.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
Strong sentiments, whY????

Because I find the endless arrogation of nonexistent rights by coddled, cosseted, individuals in rich countries deeply offensive. I happen to live in a place where basic human rights are often observed in the breach; I'd love to show some of these folk who keep on bleating about their imaginary rights what it feels like to have reals ones stolen from you, and to fight for their restoration against people with guns.

Because the struggle to uphold real human rights is hampered, sidetracked and confused by this kind of bleating nonsense.

Because I am a craftsman, or a creative professional if you prefer, and anyone who thinks they have a right to free access to content created by my fellow professionals deserves, in my view, a good hard kicking.

Because I am at once a passionate liberal democrat and a believer in the critical necessity of elites in government and society. Without them, the rabble is lost.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Mr. Astyanax -

Because I find the endless arrogation of nonexistent rights by coddled, cosseted, individuals in rich countries deeply offensive. I happen to live in a place where basic human rights are often observed in the breach; I'd love to show some of these folk who keep on bleating about their imaginary rights what it feels like to have reals ones stolen from you, and to fight for their restoration against people with guns.

I love this so much it makes me want to cry

I wonder that we don't hear from the many members of ATS who are not from the rights-wealthy nations more often - we could all use the reality check

myself included

don't know if this is off topic or not - I imagine someone will be sure to let me know

but since the word censorship is in use here...

whether or not Google is "censoring" our view of the heavens - I have no way of knowing

it does seem like you could probably still see it - the old fashioned way

at least until the SOBs figure out a way to block out the sky

[edit on 3/2/2009 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
i seem to remember an old thread discussing the area around cirius withg all the strange looking lighs around it.

People were saying that it was spacecraft gathering to attack our planet lol, ilooked at it in google sky and it did look strange and now its even stranger that it has been taken down.

The censorship was not there a year or two ago and you could clearly see everything so why would censorship be put up there when thetre was only a few weird lights floating around, could have been closer stars for all we know (although it was quite a large group of them, so unlikely for stars)..

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge
what do you mean they're the same thing?

one's a massive collection of gasses light years away

the other is a hole in the ground that is filled with hot water.

just because two things have distinctly parallel visual characteristics, doesn't mean they're the same thing.

these are things we learn in kindergarten.

thanks for pointing it out for me though.
i hadn't known about the morning glory pool before.

-

My only point is that I don't believe what we learn in Kindergarten is the truth. Not trying to be paronoid here, but education as an institution is dangerous.

It strips you of your own history, so that you don't know where you came from. You know the names of stars, do you know the name of your great,great,great,great grand father? If you knew the past by which you are here, then you would know the future. But you don't know the future, because you don't know the past. You know what is written in a text book, edited and submitted to the boards of education of the state and administered by chiefs and officers. No different then religion. I am in the same seat as you, as I don't know past a few generations who I am.

Have you seen other stars in Google sky? Think about the ratio at which you are bending all the light of that star to fit into the pupil of your eye and the rate at which you can zoom in in Google sky. Go out and look at sirius calmly. Have a moment, you don't need google sky to see what is there.

Besides, sirius isn't the only star blocked out in google sky. I'll dig and see if I can't find some others.

Peace

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by lucifer1101

If it's censorship, then why does it appear perfectly fine in authoritative digital sky catalogues? Don't rely on secondary sources of information like google sky.
GSC1:
archive.stsci.edu...
Google uses GSC2, which masks sirius because the catalogue is for the purpose of identifying the exact locations of hubble's guide stars. Sirius is too bright for that and masking it reveals more stars near sirius than in GSC1.
GSC2:
archive.stsci.edu...

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Try Microsoft worldwide telescope.
There is many different views from different sky surveys.
That one you mention also looks like its cut out.
But really it could just be brightness.
Because in the other surveys it shows up as bright and blue.
Xray hydrogen all show it up.
Its just that particular optical sky survey that messes up Sirius.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainCaveMan
That one you mention also looks like its cut out.
But really it could just be brightness.

With GSC1, it's not cutout, it's just so bright that it overexposes most of the image, as you mention. With GSC2 it is masked so that you can see more stars closer to Sirius than in GSC1. The same technique is used by astronomers to reveal planets orbiting near their parent stars in other solar systems. Google and microsoft should have used either the palomar survey or GSC1, but I guess they didn't know any better and thought that latest survey, which out of those three is GSC2, would be the best.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
How can anyone "censor" your view of the night sky? I mean go outside and look for yourself
Sirius looks like it always has through my refractor out in the backyard. Stop worrying about the interweb and go outside!

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Siruisly?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I found another one of those wierd spaceship like anomalous objects in the vicinity of Sirius (well, "vicinity"meaning on an astronomical scale).. it is visibly close in the screen but probably light years away.personally i think its some kind of reflective abnormality but its worth investigating.
Heres the image link

2.bp.blogspot.com...

here is a link to a post covering the matter, which is also the source of the image. I made the post and also took the screenshots so i give the images to the public domain.. take them and use them however you wish.

alphacentaurians.blogspot.com...

oh and by the way.. why is this forum so set up that we cant post embedded images into the posts it makes the forum so difficult to communicate?
seems pretty stingy to me

and heres the link direct to it on google sky
Strange anomaly on google sky

[edit on 3-1-2010 by sakyant]

[edit on 3-1-2010 by sakyant]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Ok I gotta do it.....
Why so Sirius?

But in all Siriusness (yet again couldnt resist) why do people seem to feel as though google is a tool of some great conspiracy yet continually rely on it for information? If you honestly feel as though the Google Sky images are censored, find another source, there a ton of free ones out there if you are willing to take the time to look for them.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Maybe the 'Syrians' have terminated theyre contract with google and are negotiating for image rights with Sky TV ? They want more money perhaps from PPV ! I don't know why they would censor the images seems a bit 'strange' !

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by sakyant

The blue object you see in the image you posted is the reflection from the telescope's equipment.

...and you can embed pictures on ATS.
Upload a photo to media.abovetopsecret.com... and use it as the photo hosting site (and don't hotlink from other sources)

[edit on 1/4/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge
right right..
but what we're looking for is an up to date image.
I don't know when that image was taken.
google earth imagery is constantly updated.
the sirius censor/graphic artifact has been that way for two years.

if you look at sirius in the night sky, it's the most interesting star (to me at least) because it flashes like a siren light red and green
i've never noticed it do this before recent months.

-

This star is new to me, so I am searching for everything that I can in order to try and learn about it.

I just noticed it about a week ago. It is flashing red and blue (you say green but I see blue) and it is so amazing. I truly does look just like a red and blue police light or the flashing lights on an airplane. When I initially spotted it, I watched it for awhile because I thought it was an airplane (we live close to an aiport and we see a lot of commercial planes in the sky) but something wasn't right about it. So i kept watching it.

Then I called my husband and daughter out to look at it. The first thing my husband said was that it was an airplane, lol.
I knew it wasn't so I said to keep watching it. And, of course, it never moved. Then he pulled out his handy little stargazer app on his cell phone and we figured out that it was Sirius.

It is truly amazing and I can see it tonight. So beautiful and I am excited to learn more about it.

I wish that I had the equipment to photograph it or film it. It is truly a sight to see.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by idunno12

Next best thing?

Turn the sound off for this one:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Oh wow Phage. Thanks so much for posting these.

This honestly is so amazing to me that it can produce all of these colors naturally. I have no idea how I have never seen it before.

That first video is my favourite, just incredible. And the second video, up to about 0:45 is just how it looks to me from my vantage point.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
this star used to confuse me untill I learned more about it. always thought it was a mothership from zeta coming to get us!!! it is truely one of the most beautiful sites in the night sky. the colors this thing kicks off are something to behold. you don't need any special scopes or binoculars to appreciate it, just go out at night not to long after the sun has set and look to the lower left side of orion. you can't miss it.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
And of course anyone who has a decent telescope is prevented by mind control from pointing their telescope at that area of the sky and looking for themselves.

Google Sky is a toy, and a lousy one at that. It's full of inaccuracies, missing photographic data, optical artifacts, and shouldn't really be used for any Sirius research or for making any Sirius statements. (sorry, had to do it
)
edit on 4-3-2011 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nurii
Hmm I just tested this out to conform or deny if I was having a problem and that orange blob is in the way for me as well. Then I started to search around Google sky and found that, their are a variety of other things that are blocked in the midst of the sky as well such as:

Degrees are -5 Degrees 24' 24.8" (At least I think that's right). Though I did try in the infrared and microwave to see if there was anyway to get past it, but not so I'm guessing google sky just doesn't have an updated picture perhaps
?

That's simply photographs of those objects overlaid. You can see lots more at www.sky-map.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join