It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MALDEF Wins $70k for Trespassing Illegal Aliens Against Rancher

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

No, the Rancher is the loser as the law has proven that when it comes to its constitutional rights as a citizens of the US the illegals have more right than him

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

The reality is that he now knows what he can do next time; there will always be next times.

I also believe that someone set up a "defense fund" to help him fight MALDEF and SPLC which have him in their gunsights.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Yes he always can appeal, and keep appealing to each circuit court until there is no anyway to go but to the supreme court.

I guess this will be better as the law will be settler down onces and for all, still the supreme court as the highest court of the land will always side with the established laws.

Hopefully this will become a big case eventually, citizens of the US against illegal immigrants.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
If we allow cop wannabe's, ranchers or anyone else to grab a gun and detain( kidnap) people at will for TRESPASSING, we will see more human rights violations then we could stomach. We cannot have it.

If someone is walking across your land, or lawn, and you don't want them there, tell them to leave. If they do not, call the cops. but to grab guns and assault people, slamming them to the ground...WOMEN at that!! then they deserve to get arrested and jailed. AND sued!

You big tough guys who side with the kidnapping rancher, tell me that yopu get a kick out of using guns and fiorce on WOMEN taking a walk....you are a sick freak if you do.

The rancher had NO IDEA who these women were or where they came from. Tjhey may have been lost...or just walking. So he assumes that they are illegal, and kidnaps them and assaults them. I suppose you would allow him to shove them in a hot trailer for a week to torture them a while if the rancher decides thats Ok?/ Ok with you too?

Where does it end? HERE, with THIS case..thats where. We send a message to all ranchers and border residents: Save your cowboy attitudes and guns for a real emergency, stop grabbing women and kids and holding them illegally, stop acting like the world is falling apart because some mexicans are looking for work...get over it. Or MOVE to some place away from the border...that would solve the probelm for gun toting thugs that wannabe border patrol agents..

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by eyewitness86

America support citizens arrest of criminals or those commiting a felony, in my eye any illegal immigrant is a criminal of my nations laws and commiting a felony while traspassing.

Is only one state that do not support citizens arrest.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Justification based on legality rather than morality.

But hey, if people like to brandish guns and terrify women and children, then go for it.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
OK! Wait just a minute and consider what the jury actually did:

Jury Questions

Violation of "Civil Rights" (he detained them for Trespass)? NO

Battery? (assault causing bodily injury)? NO

Assault (threatening harm or offensive contact)? Yes-2
(Rancher kicked at one woman, threatened another
woman, used offensive language) NO-14

Damages: $1,804 for injury to kicked woman
$76,000 punitive damages.

The U. S. Supreme Court has held that punitive damages must be rationally related to actual damages and not in an arbitrary or excessive amount.

Result: Rancher wins 46 out of 48 issues, pays $1,804 plus costs of court.
Punitives likely reduced on appeal to less than $10k.

Moral of the story: You can stop illegal aliens/trespassers, just don't be stupid or mean.

Not really a bad result when you think about it!

jw

[edit on 19-2-2009 by jdub297]

[edit on 19-2-2009 by jdub297]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
dollars to doughnuts all the apologists in this thread live nowhere near the border and have no idea what a problem this is..

and if detaining these people is against the law how come he wasnt prosecuted for the 12,000 other illegals he turned over to the police??

some quotes from the article... try putting YOURSELF in this position

Barnett, 64, began rounding up illegal immigrants in 1998 and turning them over to the U.S. Border Patrol, he said, after they destroyed his property, killed his calves and broke into his home

Mr. Barnett told The Washington Times in a 2002 interview that he began rounding up illegal immigrants after they started to vandalize his property, northeast of Douglas along Arizona Highway 80. He said the immigrants tore up water pumps, killed calves, destroyed fences and gates, stole trucks and broke into his home.

Some of his cattle died from ingesting the plastic bottles left behind by the immigrants, he said, adding that he installed a faucet on an 8,000-gallon water tank so the immigrants would stop damaging the tank to get water.

Mr. Barnett said some of the ranch´s established immigrant trails were littered with trash 10 inches deep, including human waste, used toilet paper, soiled diapers, cigarette packs, clothes, backpacks, empty 1-gallon water bottles, chewing-gum wrappers and aluminum foil - which supposedly is used to pack the drugs the immigrant smugglers give their "clients" to keep them running.

nevermind all this damage (real physical damage that you can measure in dollars, not "emotional distress") these drug smuggling invaders are the victim. im gonna puke.

[edit on 21-2-2009 by turbokid]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
This is going to be the meanest and cruelest thing I have ever stated. Even though they are human and there should be no boundaries. A bullet is cheaper then paying more taxes to support their welfare and free health care. It is also cheaper than what the court cost alone totaled. I am sorry if I have offended anyone that was not my purpose. Instead of building a fence shoot first. The immigrants were luck that man was nice. If they came on my property they would get one warning shot then one to the body. That is what protecting my country and my beliefs. All enemies foreign and domestic.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Jehovah Winesses regularly come to my house. I suppose they are trespassing. I guess that I should hold them at gunpoint until it can be determined that thay are only there to pass out their Bible tracts.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I am so glad this wasn't me that this happened to. I tell you what, if I was this man, I wouldn't have this problem again, and I'll tell you why:

1. The illegals are in the wrong FIRST...they are ILLEGAL (why DO we call them that?), they are not supposed to be in this country, and are trying to gain illegal entrance. Is that not tresspassing?
2. There comes a time when you try all avenues of "calling the police, calling the border patrol", all that nonsense that won't work, and you do WHAT WORKS, to PROTECT you, your family, and your possessions. Anyone that disagrees with that, lay all your belongings outside before you go to bed and put up a sign that says "take me". See what's left in the morning.

If I was this man, I'd already be cutting me a few holes out in my roof...where I would be looking out of thru my scope. I guarantee they wouldn't step on my property again, they'd be dead in Mexico, and not my problem, and not the taxpayers problem, and not America's problem. Sorry, I am not a racist, but invasion is invasion, be it one person or a million. If you want to come here, there are legal ways. Pick one.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by eyewitness86

Holy cow crap on a stick, are you dense or something? Do you think if you shout the same thing over and over again it will come true? Why don't you read the original article. Here, I'll even make it easier for you and give you all the good stuff from the article.

Roger Barnett, 64, began rounding up illegal immigrants in 1998 and turning them over to the U.S. Border Patrol, he said, after they destroyed his property, killed his calves and broke into his home.

Mr. Barnett told The Washington Times in a 2002 interview that he began rounding up illegal immigrants after they started to vandalize his property, northeast of Douglas along Arizona Highway 80. He said the immigrants tore up water pumps, killed calves, destroyed fences and gates, stole trucks and broke into his home.

Mr. Barnett said some of the ranch´s established immigrant trails were littered with trash 10 inches deep, including human waste, used toilet paper, soiled diapers, cigarette packs, clothes, backpacks, empty 1-gallon water bottles, chewing-gum wrappers and aluminum foil - which supposedly is used to pack the drugs the immigrant smugglers give their "clients" to keep them running.

Wow, golly gee, that sure sounds like more than simple trespassing, don't it? You make it seem like Barnett ambushed a family that was out for an evening stroll instead of protecting his property from drug smugglers and vandalizing, drug fuelled thieves.

I would pay money to see you try and confront a burglar in your house. You'd probably help him carry out the T.V.

The methane is messing with your head, you should pull your head out.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
These illegals winning these absolute BULL**** lawsuits only encourages more illegals to come here.

I really think if they showed the reality of the border to American citizens the same way they attacked Palins wardwrobe, the citizens here would wake up and DEMAND action.

Wake up America! This is your country! Take it back!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join