A question about Christianity...

page: 1
0

log in

join

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 03:36 AM
link   
This last sunday I was in church when the preacher was giving us the definition of what Christianity was. He said it was about celebrating the event of Jesus rising from his tomb 3 days later.

Before that he spoke about the deciples being in disbelief after Jesus had died. It seemed like he was comdeming them for not beileiving in Jesus to begin with.

Now if your going to condem the deciples for that, then tell us Christianity is about Jesus rising from the dead, and talk about how we celebrate an event about him returning from the grave, why not celebrate his death if you beleived in him to begin with. Knowing that he didn't have to do that to make believers out of you.

That doesnt make sense to me really.

Seems like your puting yourself in the same boat as the deciples.




posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 04:25 AM
link   
He was most likely trying to show the immense nature of the situations, also he obviously talked about Christianity being about Christ rising because it was easter, or soon before , or after.



posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 04:40 AM
link   
But in some sort of sense, it seems like he comdeming the very thing he's preaching his belief on.



posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by overstanding
This last sunday I was in church when the preacher was giving us the definition of what Christianity was. He said it was about celebrating the event of Jesus rising from his tomb 3 days later.

Before that he spoke about the deciples being in disbelief after Jesus had died. It seemed like he was comdeming them for not beileiving in Jesus to begin with.

Now if your going to condem the deciples for that, then tell us Christianity is about Jesus rising from the dead, and talk about how we celebrate an event about him returning from the grave, why not celebrate his death if you beleived in him to begin with. Knowing that he didn't have to do that to make believers out of you.

That doesnt make sense to me really.

Seems like your puting yourself in the same boat as the deciples.

Different denominations hold different opinions of what a Christian is. Some see Jesus' death as most important because of the sacrifice it represents, some see the resurrection as the most important, since it represents Jesus' divine nature. Having been raised Christian, I'm familiar with both view points, but I think they both miss the mark. Christians are those who follow the teachings of Christ, and Christianity is the practice of following those teachings. I made a thread a while back on what I believe a Christian should be.
ttp://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread31773/pg1



posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I think he also said that Christianity was not about the teachings of Jesus, but the rising from the tomb. Do you agree...



posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by overstanding
I think he also said that Christianity was not about the teachings of Jesus, but the rising from the tomb. Do you agree...
If your pastor really said that, I would say find a new church, or better yet take some time away from church and develop your spirituality on your own. That's probably the most bizarre thing I've heard. Why would you worship the resurrection of a someone whose teachings you don't even value?



posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Thats was the first time I had gone to church in years, I do beleive you don't have to have a church to worship or beleive in god. I think if you beleive in him without someone convincing you to, then your faith seems stronger. It seems more and more that the church and the bible are moralility lessons.

[Edited on 15-4-2004 by overstanding]



posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   


why not celebrate his death

Now lets say (God forbid) your mom died. Would you celebrate his death?
Christianity is not about believing that Jesus rose from the dead. Its about believing in Jesus and he is the Misiah....etc etc



posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by overstanding
why not celebrate his death


Well he did die for our sins so you could celebrate that, but what sort of religion would celebrate the death of there most important figure??



posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
We do celebrate his death, not only celebrate it, but we wear it have it in our houses etc. ITs dam creepy if ya think about it. The Crucifix. We wear shirts, Neckalces, all about the thing he died on.

We celebrate his death so complacently that we do not even relalize we do.

So odd, it like your mom getting shot and and you wearing pictures, and jewlery of the gun that shot her.



posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jezebel
Different denominations hold different opinions of what a Christian is. Some see Jesus' death as most important because of the sacrifice it represents, some see the resurrection as the most important, since it represents Jesus' divine nature. Having been raised Christian, I'm familiar with both view points, but I think they both miss the mark. Christians are those who follow the teachings of Christ, and Christianity is the practice of following those teachings. I made a thread a while back on what I believe a Christian should be.
ttp://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread31773/pg1


It's all three. Each is a part. If anyone emphasizes one part, they're going to think the other two are important. If someone celebrates His sacrifice, they're probably going to try and follow His ways. Same if they celebrate His resurrection. They all go hand in hand. It's just that people emphasize different parts at different times, depending on what the specific topic or sermon may be, or who they're talking to.



posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
We do celebrate his death, not only celebrate it, but we wear it have it in our houses etc. ITs dam creepy if ya think about it. The Crucifix. We wear shirts, Neckalces, all about the thing he died on.

We celebrate his death so complacently that we do not even relalize we do.

So odd, it like your mom getting shot and and you wearing pictures, and jewlery of the gun that shot her.




ah i see what your getting at now. We don't celebrate the death of a person, but yet we celebrate the life that person lived. Christians celebrate the life of christ and his teachings and when family members pass away, we celebrate their life and look over what they achieved.



posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I never understood why we call the Friday before Easter 'Good Friday'. I mean, someone was nailed to a piece of wood and left to die. What's good about that ?

Yes, I could understand it (almost) if someone strung up Osama bin Laden or some other terrorist, but it is Jesus' death that we are talking about, not some murderer who has caused the deaths of thousands of people.





top topics
 
0

log in

join