It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok so a true christian wouldnt believe in dinosaurs?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I'm a Christian who does not believe that the "days" in Genesis were literal 24 hour days. Since the Hebrew word for "day", "yohm" is used in so many different ways encompassing so many different periods of time, it is foolish to limit the "days" to 24 hour periods.

For example: In Genesis 1:5 God himself is said to divide day into a smaller period of time, calling just the light portion “day.” In Genesis 2:4 all the creative periods are called one “day.
In some places people often refer to a man’s lifetime as his “day.

Each creative day could have millions of years long, giving time for the rise and fall of the dinosaurs long before man was created.

Consider: Concerning these days of creation A Religious Encyclopædia by Schaff says:

“The days of creation were creative days, stages in the process, but not days of twenty-four hours.”

Similarly Delitzsch says in his New Commentary on Genesis:

“Days of God are intended, with Him a thousand years are but as a day when that is past, Ps. 90:4 . . . The days of creation are, according to the meaning of Holy Scripture itself, not days of four and twenty hours, but aeons . . . For this earthly and human measurement of time cannot apply to the first three days.”

Fundamentalists who blindly adhere to a literal 24 hr "Day" ignore the scientific facts and are unfortunately often ignorant of the very book they claim to hold sacred & flawless.

The point is, lumping all who claim to be Christians together and making blanket statements regarding their beliefs, will invariably lead to faulty conclusions.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I define a Christian as anyone who has accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour, and that through him their sins can be forgiven, and they can enter the Kingdom of God.

Hence, dinosaurs don't matter either way.

But I will comment on the whole not believeing in dinosaurs thing. If you believe in a God, and a contrarion active devil who works to decieve, is it difficult to imagine the devil with fool you with them crazy dinosaur bones? Not really--I tend to believe there were dinosaurs as much as I believe a human skeleton means there used to be a human.

I, do however, question carbon dating techniques-- and likewise do not necessarily agree that we are proof positive dinosaurs and human never cohabitated. Further, I can't say they didn't. We weren't there, we don't know. In the end whether they ever were is pretty irrelevent in the end from a purely Christian perspective.

But then again, this post was made to mock Christians who believe the Earth is 6000 years old because its ridiculous. I personally think its ridiculous to believe that human evolved over billions of years by pure chance. Not impossible, just ridiculous. Evolution is a creation myth like any other--it has the potential to become religious in nature (which it has to some extent). Anytime you believe something on faith, even when backed up with second-hand facts, or some 'other' witnesses you have forsaken the scientific process. And while evolution stems from science, it in and of itself is NOT scientific.

www.fresno.edu...

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn
A fundamentalist Christian my husband works with- literally believes that God put the dinosaur bones on earth on purpose so that we'd test our faith. Not that the dinosaur existed- but that the bones magically appeared to confuse us.

Same thing I was told by fundamentalists. They pointed to the strict fundamentalist collage they went to as PROOF that Christians are smarter than the rest of the masses...........as they are awarded special knowledge not taught to laymen, to ensure they will be saved over the rest of us.

I would quote everything RAGMAN said right above me....for I am in line with what he is saying up there....except the idea that this thread was created solely with the purpose of making fun of fundamentalists.
The fundamentalists museum with a colorful life sized brontosaur statue and a caveman riding on it does that without ANY HELP from anyone else.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

yeah ive been thinking of that lately. i think about the amount of energy that would have taken, and how that translates in turns of time dilation (high amounts of energy can seem like a short amount of time).

edit: i was actually gonna write a thread on this stuff

[edit on 1-3-2009 by Another 1evel]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I have problems with the bible and that type of view. Where does it say in the bible that demons planted skeletons of dinosaurs to mislead people? If that is not in the bible then where in Christianity did that theory originate?

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Welfhard
reply to post by tiger28

Trouble is that they are dinosaur fossils, not dinosaur bones. The difference being one is made of minerals that occupy the space that used to be bone and the latter is just bone.

Bone doesn't get replaced by minerals in 6000 years. ...

If this is so, care to explain the FULLY GROWN T-Rex thighbone found that was NOT fossilized, and still had tissue attached, not to mention blood cells in the marrow? (This was reported in mainstream scientific journals, btw.)

"Lucy.... you have some 'splainin' to do!"

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

(This was reported in mainstream scientific journals, btw.)

Do you have a source of this report for review. I'd like to read it.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
In the book of Job God speaks of a big animal like a dinosour

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Actually there are references to Dinosaurs in the bible... There are those who read it and those who claim to read it.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Read the last part of Job and you will find the reference of the dinosaur ,

than read the whole bible and you wont have to ask.lol

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
How about the strata layer I asked about earlier concerning the skeletons of all the humans who died in the flood? If someone can show me this example I'd convert tomorrow

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Ok guys help me here ,somewhere in south America there are spheres(round rocks) that dipick men on dinosaurs riding into battle. A spanish missionary took some back to spain with him before dinosaurs were thought about

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloman Kane

Job's description of Leviathan is probably crocodile.

(Job 41:1-8) 41 “Can you draw out Le·vi′a·than with a fishhook, Or with a rope can you hold down its tongue?  2 Can you put a rush in its nostrils, Or with a thorn can you bore its jaws?  3 Will it make many entreaties to you, Or will it say soft words to you?  4 Will it conclude a covenant with you, That you may take it as a slave to time indefinite?  5 Will you play with it as with a bird, Or will you tie it for your young girls?  6 Will partners barter for it? Will they divide it up among tradesmen?  7 Will you fill its skin with harpoons, Or its head with fish spears?  8 Put your hand upon it. Remember the battle. Do not do it again.

Thus a number of Bible translations of the book of Job such as J. Smith and Moffatt use the word “crocodile” in the main text for the Hebrew word liw-ya-than. The etymology of this word is uncertain, and it has been variously defined as meaning “a wreathed animal,” “one spirally wound” and “a twisted animal.” The word itself is believed to be nonspecific, so that the term could apply to any such great sea monster or reptile; however, because of the description in Job chapter 41, the term there applies to a mighty reptile with armor and scales and formidable teeth. The crocodile fits that description.

The rest of the account is more poetic in nature. I don't think it is necessary to invoke dinosaurs in order to fit this description.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
OK the atheist on the website (truth be known) talks about the spere and

all kinds of other stuff you can find to debates us christians ,and i like a

good debate.

good luck

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Skinon

Your post makes no sense to me, a Bible believer. Besides making statements that I don't know who they could be attributed to you seem to be calling Bible Believers stupid.

Genesis and Job both talk of Dinosaurs and very plainly and openly tell you what the animal is. The fossils were made when God flooded the Earth and the dinosaurs and others were laid down under the sediment of the flood.

There is no accurate dating method for dirt, rocks, fossils or anything like that and I am unaware of any true scientist that would say that there is an accurate dating system. All of the current dating systems require to much guessing and when yo start throwing guesses around you get farther and farther from accuracy. Just look at your guess that Bible believers don't believe in Dinosaurs, for a good example of where a guess can take you.

Dinosaurs existed, walked with mankind, died in the flood and are definitely BONES OF CONTENTION today.

The best Dinosaur bone I think ever found was the ones un-permineralized ones, that is those that are not FOSSILS. Tell me if Dinosaurs all died out 65 million years ago how we are finding fresh dinosaur bones today, would not 65 million years give it the time to fossilize? Maybe the assumption that all Dinosaurs went extinct in the flood or the whatever however long ago is a GUESS and a bad one at that. Just a few examples would include the African Swamp Dinosaur, Nessie, Champ, and the other lake and water beasts literally 100,000's of people claim to have seen alive...

And last but not least, what is a "True Christian"? I took it to mean Bible Believers and Bible Followers but then Bible Believers knew the Earth was round in about 3000 B.C. and the rest of mankind waited til 1492 and Columbus before they believed what the Bible said all along...

Hope that helps you understand a little better how a TRUE CHRISTIAN thinks about Fossils and Dinosaurs...

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
There are those who believe that a Pre-Adamic race existed before the creation of man. If indeed this is true, then perhaps the dinosaurs can be traced back to this age.

If this theory is correct, and the dinosaurs became extinct along with the Pre- Adamic race, this could explain why there were none around when it came to God’s judgement during Noah’s generation, and explain why there were no dinosaurs to house within the ark. They were non existent at the time of Noah’s generation.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloman Kane

I think you are referring to the ICA Stones.
Here is an interesting link about them:

skepdic.com...

www.crystalinks.com... this one shows some pics of what appear to be dinosaurs on some of the stones.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by Sparky63]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

Show me a crocodile that blows FIRE out of it's mouth/nose please. I'll even accept a fossilized one, none exist. And if they did we still have crocodiles and alligators today how come none of them blow fire today?

God described behemoth very distinctly in Job 40. "It's tail is as big as a Lebanon Cedar" the only tree today that is even close to a Lebanon Cedar is the American Redwood. Show me an animal, besides the big dinos, that had tails as big as American Redwoods?

Reptiles never stop growing all their lives, never, the growth rate slows as they age but yet they grow every year, Adam lived over 900 years. Imagine a kimono dragon growing all it's life (900 years or more) how big would it be? We have sea turtles that are humongous and dated at over 400 years old walking around, yet they were born little, like all turtles are, how did they get so big??? Again if you grow all your life and your life is longer than 100's of years you get pretty darn big...

Last suggestion would be to use the KJV Bible particularly when quoting the Bible. It is the most accurate translated and transliterated and has more than 24,000 copies in more than 200 languages without changes. Hort has over 1000 differences with the KJV Bible and there were only 50 manuscripts of it ever made and only few of those are possessed today.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Ok here it is50,000 engraved "stones of Ica" in Peru, allegedly dated to at least several centuries old based on oxidation and the reports of Spanish conquistadors, show people, extant and extinct animals, star maps, the star ring of the zodiac, and maps of unidentified land areas. The people are shown hunting or struggling with a variety of monsters that resemble brontosaurs, triceratops, stegosaurs, and pterodactyls, which properly belong to the Mesozoic era [225-65 million BP]. Even more surprisingly, human beings are portrayed as having domesticated animals that appear to be dinosaurs and are using them for transportation and warfare. People are shown using telescopes, looking at the stars, and performing surgery. A number of these stones have been shown to be modern fakes, but some, it is claimed, were taken by a Spanish priest to Spain in the 17th century, such that if they dated even from just a few centuries ago they would represent things that shouldn't have been known to the Peruvians at that time

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
In the bible it says god made the world in 7 days.

In terms of the meaning and simplicity. The bible was never meant to interpret exact dates of evolution. It was made storylike.

If your intellegent you can distingush the reasons behind each terminology.
The bible was never meant to be taken literally.

Its a mixed up of languages, people, authors, third party info all over thousands of years, throw it in the laudry baskets and it all ends up in the washing machine

Hang the laundry up to dry once finished. You don't have to sit and watch clothes dry, you don't have study why clothes dry.

You know they dry. THis is just knowing. I don't think the bible should have to describe every detail to back up every intial statement.

I really think human beings are becoming retarded at this stage
. Sorry but Ireally think so when I see threads like this. Stupid questioning that is not needed.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join