It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monkeys have a sense of morality, say scientists

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Plotted on a graph, animals would be all over the spectrum depending on whether a particular trait helped them or hurt them in the battle for survival.

A great way of putting it...

but now you say the following.

Anyone that has owned a dog or a cat knows they know right from wrong, so it doesn't even have to be an ape.

Who determines what is "right or wrong"?...we do, by imposing "dos & don't" onto our pets and then they learn what "we" want or don't want them to do... we in turn interpret their compliant or maverick behavior as a measure of morality.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
...but why don't the rest of them ever step in when a monkey goes nuts and starts ripping baby monkeys apart? They seem to tolerate it alot more than humans do in society...

Unfortunately we are no different in this regard. Think of us as sheeple.

Google Video Link

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by The All Seeing I

Well I wouldn't say we. I have to say I am definitely different in that regard. I step in when innocents are being harmed, and I will use force to stop it. I know there are cultures in which people act like monkeys, but in our society, it would be a very rare thing to kill a baby in front of bystanders and get away with it. I believe we are a kind of ape, just a bit more intelligent, and for the most part, more compassionate.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

911 was a pubic display of murder and no one went after those who are responsible. Same for the assassinations of the kennedys and MLK... and if you go further back, you can see that we slaughtered the indians and enslaved/lynched the black man in broad day light... and this is just the u.s. in it's first 200 yrs.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Those events are quite a bit more complex than the circumstances I'm referring to. It would be hard for an average individual to step in and stop those events as they occur.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
yes ... of course.

I am referring to the aftermath.

The vast majority of sheeple froze in shock as these crimes were being committed... and then maintained their ignorance by subscribing to what the "authorities" claimed happened.

Point being, we have a system of law in place to insure morality prevails but yet it fails in most cases. Monkeys/people are scared in such situations and are not likely to cross the criminal. Note all of the public crimes committed by the mob with zero interference... in aftermath how often did a witness testify? ...keep in mind how many potential witnesses were silenced through ... either threat/intimidation or physically eliminated.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Fair points. But in the case of our corrupt government and the mafia, there are many layers of conspiracy that are not clearly visible to the average, locked in the rat race individual. I'm really referring to acute, savage, pointless violence on innocent creatures. If an individual goes apesh!t in a shopping mall, grabs a baby and attempts to kill the baby, mobs are going to converge on the individual...monkeys don't have guns, or mind control through propaganda. They are all on a pretty even keel, and a few healthy monkeys could easily tear apart a single monkey that commits the attrocities they often do. I realize on the larger scale that you present, we are pretty apathetic. I just think in general their sense of morality is pretty minimal, but i do believe it can come out pretty strong on occasion. Like the female gorilla that protected that child that fell in the exhibit from the other gorillas that wanted to tear him up. That was cool.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

Good point/example, what better test then when a kid falls into their world.

...and/or shows affection and compassion toward another species

i.e. tiger & pigeon

[edit on 10-5-2009 by The All Seeing I]

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join