It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Check your local £1 (1$?) shops.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Today I was in my local pound shop (those in UK will know what I mean) for something quite unrelated (paintbrushes and wallpaper paste, for those curious. We're decorating our house due to council regs regarding up-to-date deco) but while I was there I happened to notice a shelf full of medical and first aid things. Packs of dressings, bandages, and plasters. Bulk medical supplies at prices lower than your pharmacy.

I picked up 4x wound dressing bandages.
4x crepe bandages (various sizes).
2 packs of diffferent plaster reels. Waterproof and fabric.

£1 each. All sealed and sterile.

Don't underestimate your local "pound store". I have found 5 gallon water carriers (no different to more expensive ones) and waterproof tarps there for £1 each.

What have you overlooked at your local £1 shop?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
yeah at the moment some great deals, they buy from bust shops, factories, etc and end of line so they have some really high quality items super cheep (£1) hehe but also some real tat for a pound too.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I get as many of my beading supplies as I can at these places! I still haven't found a better deal on beading wire anywhere else (Walmart included)! If they're selling, I'm buying, and buying... and buying...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Oh yes, some real tat for a pound, I agree. But when they hit the mark they really hit it. Especially now with so many companies going under in the recession, they're hitting the mark, and they're hitting it cheap.

Like I said, do not underestimate them.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Fish hooks, fishing line, space blankets, compass, craft knives, honey...

I try and stick my head in every fortnight or so just in case. I know I'm not the only one either.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Yep, Dollar Tree in the US is the same thing... Everything for $1. I get random stuff there most of the time.

Surprisingly they seem to have the cheapest bras and panties, with department store tags of $9.99 still on them.

Seriously, even a thrift store does not offer $1 USED bras... and something like this, you want new anyway. Even larger people I know, are finding plus size undies and bras there. lol Best deal in town.

As for other stuff, baby clothes and items of all sorts. Cooking supplies, toys.... I even found Care Bear shirts there, JUNK FOOD brand!

They even have pregnancy tests. LOL My friend said those are hit or miss. Either it is a dud, or it is accurate every time.

Anyone else see any awesome deals at the £1/$1 shops??

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I got some small keychain LED flashlights from our local pound shop, two Ring lights per pack including batteries for a pound.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
As I once stated in a thread a while ago.

During the summer they had camping and fishing equipment, Ok it is cheap but Cheap is better than nothing at all.
On the camping side of things they had mess tins, tin cups, compasses, foil emergency blankets ( pack of 2 ), packs of large candles and many more items of use.
Plus they also sell 6 inch snap glow sticks. 3 in a pack for £1. Can't really grumble at that.
Unless you are Northern Raider who buys them in hundreds.

I am still sure with that many glow sticks, we should call him the Northern Raver !!!

BTW, I recently picked up a compass and map case from a well known supermarket chain for around £3. Ok OK it was Tesco... LOL

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Aye but I get through them lights sticks pretty quick, If a bunch of us goes camping IE multiple families with lots of kids, when it gets dark we fasten a chemical light stick to each kid so we can see where they are in the fields as they play.

Trouble last year one little # managed to fasten his light stick to a sheep which proceded to run off up the side of a hill. All we could see was this red light going up the side of the mountain at about 20 miles and hour.

Scared the living day;ights out of us.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

Trouble last year one little # managed to fasten his light stick to a sheep which proceded to run off up the side of a hill. All we could see was this red light going up the side of the mountain at about 20 miles and hour.

Never work with children or animals eh?

I had visions of Jasper Carrot's moles running around their tunnels with the mole flares when I read that.

"Hee-hee-hee! I've got a purple one!"

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
Surprisingly they seem to have the cheapest bras and panties, with department store tags of $9.99 still on them.

Seriously, even a thrift store does not offer $1 USED bras... and something like this, you want new anyway. Even larger people I know, are finding plus size undies and bras there. lol Best deal in town.

Oh I understand completely what you mean. My local stores charge ridiculous prices for my size of bra, which they almost always do not have in stock. As a small and short woman with a large bust I find it very difficult to find not only bras, but also everyday clothes that fit. Most petite ranges only cater for small women with a small bust. I often find myself buying clothing 7 or 8 times larger than I need just to be able to button my shirt. My local street market is the only place I have found that can reliably supply a bra in my size.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Thanks for the reminder. We have one about a mile from here. I used to go in once a week and normally always found something useful. I have not been in forever. Will have to stop by on Friday.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

I would have paid good money to see that happen NR.

Star for the OP.
Pound shops can be worth there weight in gold at times.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Some one posted a while back regarding shopping at their local shop (Tesco?) and picking up some cheap space blankets... As far as I can remember they got ridiculed for it ...

Cheap is good, okay it maybe not top quality but as far as I'm concerned if you can get something cheap then do it, you can always get more of the item while its low price

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Thanks for posting.
We have a "Family Dollar" very close but I've never been in it. Now I'll go check it out with survival in mind.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Thank you for the info. Though I tend to avoid those stores because i buy a bunch of stuff I don't need.

I may be silly, but I like how we all call them what they are, dollar store, pound shop. cute.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I hit the dollar stores by me all the time. Cool place to rind stuff.
I get most of my cleaning supplies for the house there.

Hand towels are like 10 for a buck. Working on the vehicles, staining wood, cleaning up after the kids. Toss em out and not feel bad if I destroy them.

Bleach, off brand tupperware, rope, zip lock storage baggies, bungie cords, garbage bags, bags of tea candles, light bulbs, diapers, and even little led lights that are $.50/pc.

Dollar stores are awesome, good post.

new topics

top topics

join