It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Lift Ban on Stem Cell Research Soon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Obama to Lift Ban on Stem Cell Research Soon

abcnews.go.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama will soon issue an executive order lifting an eight-year ban embryonic stem cell research imposed by his predecessor, President George W. Bush, a senior adviser said on Sunday.

"We're going to be doing something on that soon, I think. The president is considering that right now," Obama adviser David Axelrod said on "Fox News Sunday."

In 2001, Bush limited federal funding for stem cell research only to human embryonic stem cell lines that already existed. It was a gesture to his conservative Christian supporters who regard embryonic stem cell research as destroying potential life, because the cells must be extracted from human embryos.

Embryonic stem cells are the most basic human cells which can develop into any type of cell in the body.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
i personally don't know if this is a good or bad thing.. but stem cell research could eventually lead to some breakthrough stuff. it will be interesting to see what comes from this years down the line. i really can't imagine human clones though

also this issue has always been an object of religious debate so it makes it slightly more interesting

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
IMO this is great news. Finally we can advance some science and actually provide the millions of people suffering with some much needed relief. If not a cure then atleast they will be able to develop treatments to ease people's suffering.

The religious debate, I won't get into, really it's more of a moral question and everybody's view a different. But here they're only using Eggs from Vitro Fertilization I believe and something about that makes it ok for Christians so maybe they won't put up a fuss.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I thought that there were some lines allowed and only creating new lines were banned?? And it only applied to when getting gov't money?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Can someone point me to the Executive Order President Bush issued banning stem-cell research?

Are those in favor of using tax-payer $ to fund stem-cell research also in favor of federal funding for the pharmaceutical industry?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
This really disgusts me.

It horrifies me.

To think that they will now start paying women for their unwanted fetuses.

new topics

top topics

join