It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STIMULUS - government "transparency / accountability" site LIVE.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

February 17, 2009, 3:27 pm
White House Launches Recovery.gov to Track Stimulus Spending
Susan Davis reports on the White House.

After weeks of touting the Web site initiative, the White House went live today with www.recovery.gov, which lets the public track how the $787 billion economic stimulus package is being spent.

“Recovery.gov is a website that lets you, the taxpayer, figure out where the money from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act is going,” the site states. “The money is being distributed by Federal agencies, and soon you’ll be able to see where it’s going — to which states, to which congressional districts, even to which Federal contractors. As soon as we are able to, we’ll display that information visually in maps, charts, and graphics.”

It’s part of President Barack Obama’s pledge to make government more transparent. The site includes a link to the full text of the bill, and an initiation for visitors to share their stories of how the law is affecting their lives. It also includes a FAQ section with questions like, “What is a fiscal year (FY)?” to help people understand government jargon.

blogs.wsj.com...

The site...

www.recovery.gov...

[edit on 17-2-2009 by mental modulator]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Great! Now hopefully we can see what's going on with the money.
Never had that before.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I have just visited the site...
As I recall, both MCCAIN and OBAMA touted the idea of government transparency...

Anyhow, seeing is believing and I have to see more

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Great! Now hopefully we can see what's going on with the money.
Never had that before.

Thanks for posting.

WELL one thing is for sure...

Obamas big ass picture is a risky political move, like a bulls eye.
IF this whole fiasco fails it seems we will all have a clear notion who to blame.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
It looks like it's an alright bill. It doesn't look as bad as people have made it out to be. My question is-- what does "protecting the vulnerable" mean? Does that mean like prosecuting Bush administration officials and protecting them or something?

I just don't know what it means. I apologize if I'm being a bit cynical here.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Notice the asterisk on the "Tax Relief" bubble.

* Tax Relief - includes $15 B for Infrastructure and Science, $61 B for Protecting the Vulnerable, $25 B for Education and Training and $22 B for Energy, so total funds are $126 B for Infrastructure and Science, $142 B for Protecting the Vulnerable, $78 B for Education and Training, and $65 B for Energy.

The actual tax relief is, then, $165B. That's only 57.29% of the bubble's claim. I guess Obama is admitting that the bubbles, as presented, are outright lies. I thank him for his honesty.

And what in H-E-double-hockey-sticks does $61B for "Protecting the Vulnerable" refer to and how does it stimulate economic growth?

[edit on 17-2-2009 by Tuning Spork]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

I just don't know what it means. I apologize if I'm being a bit cynical here.

Hey, I'm steeped in cynicism thats for sure.

I assume vulnerable refers to people who are at risk of starving or being homeless or????

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
My views on the website? See this thread...

Recovery.gov ... So much INFO!!??!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tuning Spork

what in H-E-double-hockey-sticks does $61B for "Protecting the Vulnerable" refer to and how does it stimulate economic growth?

[edit on 17-2-2009 by Tuning Spork]

I'm not sure how protecting the vulnerable promotes economic growth...

although I am not sure how not protecting the vulnerable promotes economic growth either.

This might refer to discretionary spending that targets 501c like food banks, homeless via foreclosures or lazy people...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

[I got to this site while searching for the meaning/interpretation of 'protecting the vulnerable'.
My guess so far is that is 'may be' the politically correct way to saying 'buy America program'?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator
This might refer to discretionary spending that targets 501c like food banks, homeless via foreclosures or lazy people...

I would imagine it's along those lines. But 142 BILLION dollars above and beyond what is already spent on various welfare programs?

Perhaps once the site is fully operational we -- along with the congressmen who voted for it -- will find out what the actual purpose of these funds are.

**sigh** Our great-grandchildren's tax dollars at work...

new topics

top topics

join