It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cool site--Test your Range of Hearing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Here

You can click and it will play sounds between 20 and 20,000 Hz.

I can hear all of them, though some I have to turn up!

I'm well known among my family for hearing things like dog whistles, TVs, light bulbs, and other strange things.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by asmeone2]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Are those pure wav sound samples?

Because if they arent and are in compressed form, your not actually getting the full frequency response curve from them, which would not be an accurate test.

edit to add...NM, its in windows media player format...definately not full spectrum.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 17-2-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Are those pure wav sound samples?

Because if they arent and are in compressed form, your not actually getting the full frequency response curve from them, which would not be an accurate test.

Cheers!!!!

I am too computer-stupid to figure that out. I can hear a sound on all of them though so they all do make a noise if that is what you are asking.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I cant hear anything,either my headphones are knackered or i'm deaf,hope it's not the latter
. If this works for anyone else though cool site.

EDIT

My mistake i need to download addons.Doh

[edit on 17/2/2009 by kuhl]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

No biggie, if you can hear them all thats good.

I was just pointing out that with the tones presented there are also harmonics that our hearing can detect, plus frequency response curves are considerably different in compressed forms vs uncompressed forms.

WMA is pretty close to full spectrum, thats what they are using on the test site.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Okay RF that is good. I had to turn up the 19 000 and 20 000 but it is there. I really want to have my hearing tested professionally, I think I can here up to about 22000.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
man, this test is tricky ... you need to adjust the volume, I dont know how much ... you need to adjust using the 1000hz ... and I dont know how much is enough to you be able to hear that frequency ... I dont know ... I couldnt listen at 1800hz ... just when the headset is at full volume ...

20hz is so low, that I dont know if I can consider it audible ...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Cool test. I heard them all but that doesn't surprise me. As some people here know about me, I have to wear earplugs almost 24 hours a day due to super sonic hearing and have a problem attending church due to the praise and worship services and I have to approach clubs and concerts with caution (and earplugs).

The test ranged from vibrating sounds, double beeps, single reverberation, teeny tiny clicks, obnoxious beeps, bass-like tones, and little quick high pitched dings.

Very cool!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Yeah I noticed that too, the noises were not all the same.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Heres another site with a little more detail to the tests, just click on the blocks and go down the blocks til you cant here it anymore, then when you have done them all you have a graphical view of your results.

www.phys.unsw.edu.au...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Dude I don't think that test should be relied upon, I have very very bad hearing but heard all the sounds no prob.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
i tried 3 times and all this site did was crash my browser 3 times. don't know whats on it, it it doesn't seem to work for me. i was able to hear 1 sound each time before it crashed.

new topics

top topics

join