It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ANSI Seeks to Ensure Electronic Health Records Will Support Clinical Research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
When I first heard of the 'insertion' of the electronic medical records elements within the new stimulus package, I was a bit worried. Now I am really worried.

Perhaps some may not find this politically relevant. But I think it is.

The primary users of these data are to be the insurance and pharmaceutical companies, by way of the research they help fund. I find the extraordinary efforts that organizations like ANSI go through to 'ensure' standardization is more for commercial access benefit than anything else.

From the article:

Feb 13, 2009, News Report

"Our objective is to create a sustainable, interoperable infrastructure through which healthcare advances clinical research and in turn informs clinical care." -- Frances Schrotter, ANSI senior vice president and COO.

The American National Standards Institute (ANSI), coordinator of the U.S. standards and conformity assessment system, is working to facilitate the use of electronic health information to support global clinical research activities. The Institute seeks the active engagement and financial support of the clinical research community to ensure that divergent and disparate standards do not inhibit the use of electronic health records (EHR) for future research and clinical decision support.

full article at: www.govtech.com...

This is not as great a benefit to mankind it is being touted. This will make the process of the measuring of profit and profit potential easier to quantify; and it will become a source for the actuarial tables that rule our economic lives.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Finally 1 plus 1 = 2. This has been the goal all the time. A profit mechanism. Although it has been sold to the American public that this e-record will help reduce the overall cost of healthcare, I beg to differ. I see companies cashing in every way possible from storage to the software itself. I also see huge profits for companies who are able to datamine this information. Most of those companies being the same organizations or companies the op refers to. This is a cause for concern because in the end we will have very limited privacy and our health bills will still be costly.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
This is truly disturbing. Giant corporations are going to be able to view my medical records and do who knows what with the information. Doesn't this violate doctor/patient confidentiality? People are going to (and should) start lying to their doctors, people are just going to quit going to doctors period and there's going to be a HUGE increase in the amount of black market medical care, for those who wish to keep the details of their medical history private. I can see how the latter two would be beneficial to TPTB in that it would reduce costs to the coming universal health care system, but forcing people to lie about something as important as medical information is potentially fatal and whoever came up with this whole idea should be tarred and feathered for for even thinking of something this evil.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Unfortunately for us, the power behind ANSI and other such 'Institutions' is both corporate and transnational. Their machinations are all closely related to corporate agendas.

Having once worked in an industry which made extraordinary efforts to 'have a say' in the final specifications and codes regarding newer communication technology I can assure you, it's all about who holds patents on what technology and who is poised to take advantage of that technology.

The global health care industry, along with their buddies in the legal community have changed the outcome of many such deliberations. Much like they did (and are still doing) with the CODEX ALIMENTARIUM, we are as a nation succumbing to their plans by virtue of recognizing their 'declarations' as defacto LAW.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Anyone who has been/ is a member of an HMO, PPO, etc., (alphabet soup acronyms for health care services) already has files in the electronic system.
This appears that the funds will be used to get all of the files from the innumerable service Corporations into the same format.

I know it doesn't make it less palatable.

Anyone involved with the VA services out there that has a problem with referrals, making appts. with their personal care physician-in-training, scheduling?

join