It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So much for the Obama transparency promise

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Not even 2 months in office and Mr Obama is breaking his election winning promises. Today Obama signed the $787 stimulus bill to save us all, and going back on his transparency promise while doing so. Below is a link to his website, with a video full of his transparent promises. It gets interesting at about 2:15 into it.

www.barackobama.com...

So how should this be classified, lie, broken promise or possible, is this something that is already out of his hands? This 1000+ page bill was wisked through congress so quickly that NONE of the congress has had time to read it through.

I am really doubting as to whether or not Obama had the authority to wait on signing it. Congress didn't even have it for 5 days, much less the American people.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I fail to see the problem here.

How is this a problem. I believe you can view the bill online, can you not?

And if it is posted after signed, is that not transparency?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by slicobacon

All I can say is that I didn't vote for him.
He took a Valentine trip to Chicago in Air force One
That had to cost a fortune to do. Security, fighter jets, fuel and all other aspects that come with the Presidents safety. Nope, no five days to view this bill. I guess it wasn't an important bill.
This is just the beginning.

Recovery.gov

The American Recovery & Reinvestment Act 2009

[edit on 2/17/2009 by Solarskye]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by slicobacon

This 1000+ page bill was wisked through congress so quickly that NONE of the congress has had time to read it through

Are you kidding? They didn't have time. 3 day weekend!!

Unlike most us, they got Presidents day off.

They earned it, let them be.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
There's 8,000,000,000 dollars, put zeroes for emphasis. Going to "Other" can anyone explain to me what other is?

www.recovery.gov.../investments

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

1 - Obama promised that BEFORE he signed any legislation he would allow the American people to see it online for five days. He failed to do this.

2 - He used fear mongering to push this through. He said it would be a 'catastrophe' if it didn't get signed right away. That's bull.

3 - The bill got signed so fast that the people who signed it on the hill didn't even know what they were signing.

4 - He lied. He said it was an emergency and it had to get signed right away. He used that excuse to ram it through on Friday. But then Obama took Air Force One and wifeypoo on a three day vacation to Chicago - (the flight alone cost $68,000) without signing the 'emergency' legislation. Obviously it wasn't an emergency if he could fly out on a vacation for three days without signing it.

5 - Some of his disciples allege that the reason this was an 'emergency' measure was that it would instill 'confidence' in the market. However, the market tanked again today. Obviously this didn't instill any confidence.

He promised transparencey BEFORE he signed. He lied.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I think it is completely transparent. The Obama Administration and Congress are being very upfront about the fact that they do not care what We the People think. They do not obfuscate it in any way. This is the fifth day since Congress passed the bill and Obama signed it into law at great taxpayer expense and media glitz. You were more than able to read the bill since it passed Congress. The fact that no one from the public could contact Obama nor persuade him from signing it shows perfectly well his opinion and stance.

It all says that the government does not give two farts in the wind about you or I. They are very transparent about that point.

Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it--Old Chinese Proverb

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Yes, it can be seen online after the fact, but that wasn't his promise to the American public now was it?

I also take issue with the fact that they're spending over a trillion dollars of taxpayer's money, while raising the national debt to it's highest level ever, yet don't have the time to actually read the bill before signing it. Does that sound like responsible government to you?

Another thing, if they haven't read the bill, who the hell wrote it? Lobbyists and special interests groups?

[edit on 17-2-2009 by LLoyd45]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Transparency depends on how one defines it. Guess he learned something from Bill Clinton when bill defined his version of the word SEX. Now all we have to do is figure out what Obama's definition of Transparency is.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

My guess would be slush fund to cover the extra pork that had to be removed from plain sight. Although that amount seems a bit low.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

No you can not view the entire bill online. And no, it wasn't up for public viewing for the 5 days Obama PROMISED.

No change, no hope -

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Just wait until Barry unveils his little mortgage rescue plan tomorrow. So far, the only assistance to homeowners has been to those who are in foreclosure or to those buying a home for the first time.

The hyper inflated markets of Cali. and Fla. have seen record numbers of foreclosures. Many of them simply because the owners stopped making payments intentionally. They stopped paying to simply get out from under their homes which are now valued below what they paid. These idiots will now get assistance and probably a rebate of some sort from Uncle Sam.

There is no relief or stimulus to those of us who work hard to pay our bills in a timely manner. How about lowering interest rates across the board to encourage refinancing and home building. That is money in our pockets.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Are you serious? The problem is that neither we nor congress was able to read the thing before it was passed!

Seeing it after the fact means didly bupkis. Ours is supposed to be a government by, for, and of the people. If we don't approve of proposed legislation, our representatives are supposed to vote against it. TARP I showed us though, that the people have been removed from the equation. At least then though, those representatives that chose to pass the bill, did so knowing what was in it.

If you don't see the problem in this, I'd like to move to your world.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

of course he had to take air force one , hes $400,000,000 chopper isnt ready yet
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

They aren't going to help those of us who are responsible. The toxic assets in banks didn't come from responsible people. The foreclosures (for the most part) didn't happen to responsible people.

Instead of trying to ensure that this problem doesn't continue by offering something to those of us who are responsible, they are applying band-aids in places and trying to stop the bleeding in others.

All short term, nothing long term.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

To get to their world, you have to eat the Blue pill and drink
the Green Kool-Aid.

Those are the most lame defence answers I have ever seen.
And it's only been 4 weeks not 2 months.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

There is no relief or stimulus to those of us who work hard to pay our bills in a timely manner. How about lowering interest rates across the board to encourage refinancing and home building. That is money in our pockets.
Have you ever read "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand? It's a template of our society today. The productive individuals of the population are punished for their hard work, while non productive individuals are rewarded for incompetence.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The bill couldn't be signed over the weekend. Instead of going off to some compound (BUSH) in New England or even Camp David for the holiday weekend, he chose to go to his house, why is that such a big deal. I'm sure most of the WH staff was given that time off since they weren't there. He HAS to fly on AF1, what do you expect him to do, travel on United in coach? He's the President now, it's just how they travel. Geez, you people are something else. You will find anything to try and knock this guy down.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45

Originally posted by jibeho

Have you ever read "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand? It's a template of our society today. The productive individuals of the population are punished for their hard work, while non productive individuals are rewarded for incompetence.

They just mentioned her and her book on Glenn Beck.

There are youtube interviews of her by Mike Wallace in the 1950's.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Can I just say that Obama is a croo….err politician. Just like every other politician there is. Say pretty words to make the people feel good then do what ever you wish. The only difference between con men and the POTUS is that it is legal for the POTUS to do it.
I just feel sorry for all those who sold their souls to Obama and his promises of change…wait a minute no I don’t maybe he will be the POTUS that makes the masses realize that “We the people” has been replaced with “We the FEDS”

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join