It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so I finally watched Into the Wild...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I have not read the book but I am thinking about it.

It was a really well done movie.

But I either wanted to hug Chris McCandless, or smack him. As a parent, I mainly wanted to smack him.

so after mulling it a few days, I have decided he is an idiot, a tragic idiot.

he gave up his maps. Couldn't cross the river, and depended on a book for portland on plants in Alaska. Died 20 miles from the state highway.

And my husband asked a simple question, if he couldn't cross the river, why didn't he just follow the river back?

The final scenes of him dying were extraordinary. It must of been so frightening and lonely, I feel so bad for him. but...

Am I being too harsh?

[edit on 17-2-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Read the book first. As I see it, he was the only one to show us the way on how to really fix things.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
He lived..and died doing exactly what he wanted to do.
I, for one..envy him for that.
You could place judgment on him, but we all have our moments of ignorance.
Some of us live to learn the lesson, and others do not.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I agree with you to an extent. But he was only 24. You have no idea what you want at 24. And in the end, he wished he had his family.

IT was almost like he was too smart for his own good.

I understand being jaded about the family, but most people are. Most don't resort to those extremes.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I believe he knew exactly what he wanted, but didn't have all the knowledge he needed to accomplish it.
Had he actually spent time in the wilds of Alaska with a guide for a few seasons before attempting it on his own, he probably would be alive today.
True enough, that for all his smarts he should have known that experience far outweighs what you read in a book.
He could have been a great humanitarian in my opinion. But only the good die young.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
reply to post by nixie_nox

He could have been a great humanitarian in my opinion. But only the good die young.

That is probably the saddest thing of all, he seemed to have the ability and the fortitude to do great things.

new topics

top topics

join