It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG! Lock Bumping and Bump Keys (URGENT)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
And to think some individuals want our weapon freedoms taken away...

Also, not the smartest thing to expose this kind of story on the NEWS..where you know..some might people might actually find this educational.

Oh well.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
wow u just gave the criminal/burglers a hint...

wish i had a minus flag to give ya!!!!!!!

[edit on 2/17/2009 by redseal]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
but u will get your ats points for this thread...

damn the consequinces...u got some ats points!!!!!!!!!!!!

lemme know when that new ats car is comming out!! i got a few thousand points..and got damn i dont know what to do with um..........

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by redseal

No need to worry, the OP didn't reveal the most important part of the technique: How to make bump keys. The only thing that news report revealed was that it can be done, not how to do it.

In addition, it would seem that the "bad guys" already knew how to do it anyways. Besides, the most secure things in the world are the ones where the makers lay the whole system out and say, "Here it is, how can we make it better?"

Look at how many viruses and exploits are released for Windows operating systems, which guard their source code like a jealous prince guards his wife, as opposed to Linux which is open source.

When the wicked find vulnerabilities in our way of life, they have the advantage of being able to use that vulnerability to victimize the rest of us. That advantage doesn't go away until the vulnerability is exposed to the public and, as a result, removed from the equation.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
A little trick I learned a few years ago.

Cement drill or a wood drill depending on your floor. Drill a hole in the floor 3 inches AWAY from the door, in the center of the door frame. Use a 1 inch drill bit and simply put a small 1 inch thick metal bar at least 6+ inches high, into the hole on the floor.

I have seen this simple solution work many times. Its especially useful for forced entree when kicking, or using sledge hammers to smash the lock, as the metal bar simply forces the door straight to a closed position when the door hits the metal bar and bounces off.
Because the door is now "loose" on its hinges, a second and third strike dont have as much impact, as the door is now "free swinging" to a degree. To open the door now, requires them to smash the hinges off completely.

This time frame can be enough for you and loved ones to call for help, or get to safety through another exit.

Try it, see for yourself. A small metal bar in the floor behind the door makes a huge difference. When your home, maybe alone, simply placing a small metal bar in a hole could save your life.

I hope this advice helps

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
BEST SECURITY IS A MAGNUN 357

www.disclose.tv...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Excellent point. When my wife and I are home, especially if the other is gone, the hand gun is always at hand, if you'll excuse the pun.
I do occaisionally leave it by the bed if the old spidey senses are quiet. But more often than not, I just feel better if it's at my elbow.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Mod edit: for issues relating to the T&C's.

[edit on 2/18/2009 by kinglizard]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthman4
The strangest thing is that people think a deadbolt will stop an intruder. All an intruder needs is a sledgehammer. Even houses with security doors and windows have walls that will come down in seconds. This false sense of security I attribute to the fact that most thieves are too lazy to pick up a sledghammer.

You may be right. But all I need to do is load a shell into my 12 gauge. That sound pretty much stops anybody. If you shoot someone in a house with a 12 gauge they are not gonna survive. Family, home, and property protection isn't just about locks anymore. I thought it was pretty much understood that anyone could get in your house if they really wanted to anyway. Screw lock picking, blow the stupid door in half.. That or knock it down or come through a window.. Getting in a house has always been easy.. The only difference now is people think they're cool because they can get in without having to break anything. That doesn't make breaking into a house any less risky.....

The only way to protect your family and your property is to have a plan B anyway. shotgun. I even have shells hidden in different rooms of my house...LOL

-ChriS

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by redseal
but u will get your ats points for this thread...

damn the consequinces...u got some ats points!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really hope you aren't serious here pal. Like I need the points? NOT. I did this simply because I just received an email about it from a friend, had never heard or seen a thing about it before. So I came here, searched, could not find it, and thought "Jesus! I need to alert these people to this."

It was out of sheer concern for my fellow members here, and absolutely nothing else. Many knew, but many didn't. And I am either being treated like a dumbass, accused of trolling, or thanked by those that didn't know. Knowledge is indeed expensive. And just so you know, in the resulting mess that followed, I was penalized 1000 points because of someone who really pissed me off and my reaction to it. So there. This thread has cost me points, and earned me nothing but grief. So you can take your little comment and get on down the road.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Abus locks are the best locks you can buy.

But this is the scariest ive seen.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Ahh, I see. You didn't mention the warning signs at first. Remind me to never try to break into your house.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Yeah this isn't surprising at all. The security guard from work "broke into" my car last year when I accidentally left the keys on the seat. It took him all of 20 secs or so. Most locks aren't very secure at all. It could be worse though as a guy about 30 min from here was robbed a few years back. They used a saws all and just cut the wooden wall out behind the house which made it easier to remove the larger items.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Get out of here, this is a well known technique known to many security people. I got into locksmithing after I broke the door in my car. All a lock is, is a sense of security. The master lock padlocks with the blue bottoms are the easiest to get into, in my opinion. Why bump a lock when you can just break a window? Sorry, but this is not new, I have a 999 key on my keyring for just this reason. And make some cash from it sometimes!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Applesandoranges
Abus locks are the best locks you can buy.

But this is the scariest ive seen.

I can understand why people might want new locks after watching these videos.. But honestly, locks have always been meant to give you a false sense of security. A locked door is supposedly meant to act as a physical security barrier. But it isn't.. It never has been. People will get into your house if they really want to regardless of what kind of locks you have...

Security is not about good locks.. Security is about making the bad guys choose the house with the least security in place (not yours). People bent on home invasion and home theft are good at scoping out new sites. They will always pick the people who are the least protected and the most vulnerable. Sometimes people lock their doors, sometimes they don't. But the bad guys are getting in one way or another if they really want to. Locks don't make a difference.

I think people are just turning this into such a big deal.. It really isn't. As long as you have good security measures in place and you are always prepared for the worst, you are less likely to be a victim. Screw all the happy go lucky "I like to see the best in people" bologna.. Anyone is capable of evil under the right circumstances. They just don't know it yet. Trust does not come easy these days.. And for good reason. Watch all this desensitizing B.S. all over the papers and the news and tell me you trust a stranger.

When I grew up in Oklahoma nobody locked their doors anyway.. But you could also legally kill an intruder on your property. That was when people used to actually respect other people and their privacy. There was an understanding between homeowners in the local community. Nobody messed with anybody else's stuff. I'd love to see some gangbanger to try and steel my grandfather's bass boat! That stuff just doesn't happen in small towns.

-ChriS

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Wow burdman, you just now the right things to say don't ya?

LOL

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Hi , people of ATS. I am a long time reader of ATS and since my career is Im a professional Locksmith and I own my own company in Arizona. I will tell you that I have known about lock bumping for years and am a master at it. But I will tell you that the easiest Locks to bump are brands Kwikset, schlage, and any cheap lock that you can purchase in a hardware store. Any way If you have these locks on your house I would recommend changing them to something better, but beware of high priced high security locks over $100.00 each. You don't need to spend a lot of money to get a pick and bump resistant lock. If you want better locks then I would suggest you get a new model Kwikset lock called the smart key lock. Its new technology for home residential locks at about the same price as a normal Kwikset lock, they are pick proof and bump resistant and have an internal side bar locking system so that any normal criminal could drill through the lock several times and it still isn't going to unlock, and you can pick them up at your local Home Depot or Lowes in many different styles and finishes. But the best part about these locks is you can simply re key these new locks by your self in seconds if you need to without even taking them apart or off of your door. So that means if you have a lost or stolen key you would never have to call out a professional locksmith like myself to charge you a lot of money to change your key combinations.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by redseal
wow u just gave the criminal/burglers a hint...

wish i had a minus flag to give ya!!!!!!!

But the video is on YouTube for all to see....very educational for impressionable youth...

I think the OP meant well with this discussion but its just so annoying to see videos that actually have the potential to increase criminal activity.

[edit on 2/18/2009 by MyXlog]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I don't want to sound like a ding dong debbie downer but videos of this have been around for years and my friend who is a lock smith claims to have known how to do this for 20+ years.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join