It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With no budget, California to cut 20,000 state jobs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   

news.yahoo.com

California, which is on the brink of running out of cash, will notify 20,000 state workers on Tuesday their jobs may be eliminated, a spokesman for Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger said on Monday.

The announcement came a day after California lawmakers narrowly failed to pass a $40 billion budget that would have plugged the state's deficit with a mix of tax hikes and spending cuts.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
This is great news for anyone living in California ... i think California is just digging themselves into a deeper hole .. maybe they should've been cutting back all along? i don't know but it says that it's effecting every part of the government so i'd be worried as to what extent it's affecting everything

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
you could have a chimpanzee do a better job than these politicians at runnign the economy.

And i'm serious, because a chimpanzee wouldn't even do anything.
It would just let the free market manage itself

Of course some things need to be done
but nothign is much better than way too much of the worst possible decisions.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
you could have a chimpanzee do a better job than these politicians at runnign the economy.

And i'm serious, because a chimpanzee wouldn't even do anything.
It would just let the free market manage itself

Assuming, of course, the chimpanzee can manage to restrain itself and not maul randomly selected people who enter its personal space and then get shot by a cop...

The really disturbing thing is that 2009 isn't the worst of things. Look at state's projected deficits and tribulations for 2010 and the problems Cali is currently facing look like a walk in the park.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I think it is safe to say - that all states will have some serious financial stress.
We are out of money. The world. Not just California.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I wonder if the Governor of Cali is taking a pay cut to help ease the shortage? He probably makes a good living off royalties from his Terminator movies.

Arnold's reply: "I'll be back!"

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

I believe he has refused all but $1 a month of his salary. I recall him doing this some months ago.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I did not realize this. Good for him!

In any budget crisis, typically the top level people who get paid more bucks can live perfectly fine with some level of agreed pay cut. Better that than firing 5 employees so they can maintain a hefty paycheck.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
I think it is safe to say - that all states will have some serious financial stress.
We are out of money. The world. Not just California.

Speak for yourself. Texas had a budget surplus this year because our elected officials knew how to manage a budget and run a state. We also do not have a state income tax.

California voters seriously need to get their heads our of their butts. What does it take for you guys to realize that your elected officials aren't getting the job done - soup kitchens and bread lines???

link   

Originally posted by baseball101

Haha. This is the best news to come out of CA in a long time. After years of creating a huge bloated government with everyone and their brother feeding at the public trough, now they get pink slips and off to the soup kitchen.

No tax hikes, no so called spending cuts, rather cut the size of your government. Congrats to those who stood up and said no when Arnie was so close to getting his way.

Something to consider, if the state can afford to slash 20,000 jobs because they absolutely must, how long ago should have these posistions been chopped?

link   
And the Federal bailout money arrives in 5....4....3....2........

A single state with an economy that's what, the fifth largest in the world, and they blow it.....COMPLETELY.

California - a failed idea if ever there was one.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
...And in more recent news, an estimated 20,000 new jobs were created today when California's greatest cash crop was legalized: Cannabis.
www.thebigmoney.com...

Okay...it hasn't happened yet.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by Reddupo]

top topics

join