It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible explanation of 'gnome' sightings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Ok when the video of the 'creepy gnome' appeared I thought it was pretty odd. However not long after watching it the oddest thought struck me, what if these so called 'gnomes' are infact very real, but NOT supernatural, maybe a human subspecies that has managed to stay so well hidden that the sightings & stories are passed off as legends. Simlar to the hobbits, which DID exist although little is known about them.

Any takers?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by The Chez

Congratulations for having come to the true, logical conclution, in this case.

I have never understood why people see gnomes, or so many other humanoid beings, as such a "improbable" thing. Then I realized, that people do so, because they don't view those various beings as different species of flesh and blood, but as something "Supernatural".

Good to see we share the same insight.

A Star for you.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by Nightchild]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I believe the stories of little people, My grandparents when I was younger they would tell me stories of the little men they seen on more than one occasion.
How they would wobble and make the oddest of noises almost like little children trying to speak my grandpa told me once. As he tried to get closer to them they would mumble and go father between them.

As I noticed when I got older I would go visit my grandmother at the old folks home, I would sit with this old man on the porch, He would tell me about his life and what types of thing he had done. And what I noticed a lot of the people that lived in the area in the 40's to now would see sightings of these "little people". My mom and his brother were also witness to a sighting when they were young.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I have a faint memory from when I was maybe 1-2 years old of some little people. Approximately 3-4 inches in height taking food from a pantry in our kitchen. This would have been around 1967. I recall one of the young females taking a liking to me and her being scolded by the eldest male. Pretty much all I remember. The house at the time was about 80 years old and in Pennsylvania.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
i think that thyere ARE little peole.

look at the little chinese man that is onlyl 26 inches at age 20.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
LOL!

I havent heard of the 'creepy gnome' yet!

Got a link?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Haha that video was pretty funny. It could just be a small child or someone with dwarfism.

Not to mention the video quality was aboslutely terrible.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by okimas

Weird... My Grandparents used to tell similar stories when I was younger, I always thought they were just fooling, though they're pretty much no nonsense people so perhaps they weren't just stories. One such tale involved little people in a tiny airplane...

I suppose it also makes sense since like 90% of Icelanders believe in elves...

Most people don't take such sightings seriously, I think the main reason is that in some sightings these "little people" look to be proportioned similar to us (just scaled down) but biologically could a primate be that small and still be proportioned like a human (or have an adequate brain size)? Other times magical powers and other folklore detract from the believability. I certainly think its possible that gnomes or other little people could exist, anything is possible, but we'll need some evidence better than that creepy gnome video...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
There's a better version from the The Sun newspaper...

My BS detector maxes out on this video, but I like it
Not just a gnome...a physically disabled one with a limp and a pointy hat. Why it would choose to limp across the road towards a street light whilst a bunch of noisy teenagers happen to be filming it is anyone's guess.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
This has already been proven to be a hoax, Im pretty sure.

Sure looks like a hoax to me. You tell me whats more likely.....

A tiny supernatural fairy gnome......

Or a midget in a pointy hat?????

Come on

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Nope, it has not been proven a hoax. Sorry.

All there really have been, is a bunch of guesses of its nature, some even beyond intelligence, such as the "explanation" that it would be a dog or a cat.

Regarding why the being would walk out in a roud in front of those people.. Well, it is known pretty well that "Little People" can be very provocing, and tease people. After all, this being threw rocks on the guys, and that fits the classical description of being provocing quite well.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Thanks for the imput guys. This has not been proven a hoax, the jury is still out on this lil guy lol.

I mean say I was right, say they are real but totaly natural, not SUPERnatural. They would of course have the same needs as us, would wear clothing to keep warm, (pointed hats, boots etc). Their lives would be on a smaller scale so the kill of one rat might feed them for a few days etc.

I would much rather go at it from a logial point of veiw than beleive in fairy stories myself, glad most of you think the same.

The video is pretty crap yeah, none of them are at all clear, adding to the idea that they might be supernatural. The only way we will ever know for sure is if one is caught...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Hoax...

It may not put it to bed, but I wish it had...this is obviously set-up.

But please, by all means keep the faith...you seem partial to gnomes.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Hey this is my first time posting anything on this website but i am a person who loves looking for anything unexplainable ... prolly cause i am a little unexplainable myself but this video does not strick me as authentic at all but -i apologize for not bieng able to find the link- there was a story in i think brazil where they were cutting down trees and in the middle of the night traffic was stopped because a small group of men was walking in single file from the tree and out into a building next to it and when they left the tree took on a reddish tinge that was reported to look like bleeding idk i thought it was a kinda cool gnome,faery,pixie kinda story

again be kind this is my first post so plz to be kind wit the input

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by xXOrochimaruXx

Welcome!

prolly cause i am a little unexplainable myself but this video does not strick me as authentic at all

And since your opinion agrees with mine, you should do just fine here!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
'Creepy Gnome' has been one of my favourite things over the last 18 months. I'd dearly love this to be true. This particular area has fascinated me for a long time.

However, the problem with suggesting this isn't a supernatural entity is that by anchoring it into the 'real' world you just create a whole new set of problems. If it becomes more of a cryptid in a 'lost or undiscovered' species sense, then a few issues become apparent. Unlike the more bestial lost cryptids which are to all intents and purposes wild animals, a gnome wearing a hat and clothes is problematic because it suggests 'society' and 'culture'. Where did the hat and clothes come from? Who made them? How did they learn to make them? If a society has clothes then it's already likely to be making rudimentary homes, either completely unnatural (as in built from scratch) or it's 'adapting' suitable environments - where are these? If they're wearing fashioned clothes, you'd expect them to have mastered rudimentary heated food too which would mean cooking tools and fire. What exactly are they eating? Are they hunter-gathers or agrarian? Where's the evidence for either? The demands for evidence for what appears to be just a little gnome wearing a hat and clothes builds up very quickly.

That gnomes could exist as some 'natural' (as opposed to supernatural) species existing in tandem to us would mean that there should be more evidence than a couple of YouTube clips. With a lost wild animal you're limited to perhaps tracks, droppings, evidence of eating but with gnomes it would mean all those things as well as evidence of society and small industry and production.

Again, I'm debunking this for the sake of it, as you've no idea how much I'd love this to be true - it's just that 'lost species' theories are have their own problems.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Look close, it's a guy putting his knees in a big t-shirt and walking sideways, or a little person, gnomes as much as I'd like them to exist don't, but if I were the size of mini me I would wear a gnome costume 24/7, just because.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I believe this video was proven a hoax, as the people whom filed it in Argentina sent one version to the local newspapers, and another version to The Sun newspaper in England.

The video from the Sun

Here is the other version...

Note the differences, namely the torch.

However, is you search "Duende" on youtube there are many more videos of apparent gnomes. I would love them to be real. I love the idea. However, the sceptic in me deep down thinks

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Oh the video might indeed be a Hoax.

As to the little people, well if anyone researches enough, they might be quite startled by the abundance of similar stories from around the world, going back to antiquity, even before trading roots or cultural exchanges took place.

Many of the little folk are more etheral and often not in physical form anyhow, that is if you believe the plethora of worldwide legends, sightings and such like.

Dont be too quick to dismiss little folk soo quickly, just remember that most of the universe is made of "Dark" matter and energy that has yet to be found properly, measured, seen or quantified.

Be carefull with little folk to they can be quite malevolant on times, the Leprecauns of Ireland are known to on times to have put the legs of a horses and cattle back to front, if the land or farmer came into disregard for them!

It is not proven yes, but there is a worldwide reason & underlying cause for the similarities of worldwide history of the little folk, which may infact turn out to be quite surprising to many non believers.

We all have Aura's, Kirlian Photography etc has shown this, If I cant see them or explain them does it mean they dont exist?

No more than you cant see the Wi Fi waves etc.

Kind regards,

Elf.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join